Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default water pumps?

How many different water pumps are there for the LS engines? Maybe we need a thread for them like the one for the oil pans. I know the truck pump is different than the Corvette but I am sure there must be others too. I am looking for the one that is the shortest and so far it seems to be the Corvette pump. The LS4 is shorter but I put it in a class of its own. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found the w/pump from an LS3 crate motor was the thinnest/shortest after measuring quite a few. I needed the thinnest one to gain as much room as possible for my '32 Ford street rod project, there is NO room in the engine compartment. I also had to get the LS3 balancer as well. I got lucky when I found someone putting the LS3 in his F-body and needed to use his original LS1 w/pump and balancer, they literally had zero miles on them.

I agree, a thread or a sticky about various water pumps with dimensions would be nice.

Mike
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Corvette pump is shorter than the truck/F body pumps and has no threads for a manual fan. I bought the Vette pump for looks and room. Now after reading Mike52s post it looks like I should have bought an LS3 pump!

Dan-o
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Can anybody post some actual measurements? I currently have the Corvette pump and would like to know if the LS3 pump is enough shorter to be worth swapping.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Dan-O
Yes, the Corvette pump is shorter than the truck/F body pumps and has no threads for a manual fan. I bought the Vette pump for looks and room. Now after reading Mike52s post it looks like I should have bought an LS3 pump!

Dan-o
Aren't they the same?
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=223064
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Here is some good info on the subject http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html
Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Also it should be noted that the fbody and LS2 pumps look the same but have differant t-stat holes and use different t-stats
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Here is some good info on the subject http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html
Ken, you're right, there is lots of good info there. After reading the section on w/pumps, I can assure you, there was no way a belt would line up on the LS3 w/pump and the stock F-body balancer on my engine, would have been nice (and cheaper) if it would.

Rick brings up a good point about the t-stats too, the Gen III and Gen IV are different.

txcar, I'll get you some measurements tomorrow from the F-body pump and the LS3 pump. I assume you are more interested in the engine mounting flange to the outer most point on the pulley.

Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What are the differences in the thermostats? The LS1 and truck have the thermostat built into the inlet housing.
I'm running an F body pump, aftermarket swivel thermostat housing and the separate LS2 thermostat. No problems.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should also be noted, there is a LS2/3 style pump out there that has the inlet on the RIGHT side of the pulley - I have one. I'll post the picture - someone can feel free to steal it as who knows how long I'll have that pic on my photobucket site. Yes, its for sale if someone needs that - I had to get a Corvette LS2 pump as I needed the outlet on the left side. I'll take $175 shipped for it, its brand new, never been used,(was on a crate motor).

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garys 68
What are the differences in the thermostats? The LS1 and truck have the thermostat built into the inlet housing.
I'm running an F body pump, aftermarket swivel thermostat housing and the separate LS2 thermostat. No problems.
You kinda got lucky... as I just found out I bought the opposite set up and there is some modifications that needed to be done to make it work.
Here's a picture of the differance from a ebay company
Name:  t-stat.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  19.1 KB
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What changes had to be made on yours?

[QUOTE=Rick Speed;13104971]You kinda got lucky... as I just found out I bought the opposite set up and there is some modifications that needed to be done to make it work.
QUOTE]
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

to fit those side pieces that hold the stat i had to hog out the pump to make them fit and round their edges
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

You can use the Vette pump w/ LS1 accesories (what I did) by simply pulling out the Vette pully about 3/8" as I read about on here.

I had to weld on something on the pulley to attach the puller to but then cut / ground and painted. I also put a small tack weld inside the pulley bore after this. Can't tell it's anything but stock now.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob H
It should also be noted, there is a LS2/3 style pump out there that has the inlet on the RIGHT side of the pulley - I have one. I'll post the picture - someone can feel free to steal it as who knows how long I'll have that pic on my photobucket site. Yes, its for sale if someone needs that - I had to get a Corvette LS2 pump as I needed the outlet on the left side. I'll take $175 shipped for it, its brand new, never been used,(was on a crate motor).

Do you know what the application is for this pump with the upper connection on the other side of the pulley? I noticed a photo in the latest issue of Street Rodder where the upper hose connection is on the left (drivers) side of the engine. I am collecting information about various pumps for different applications and I haven't seen this one before.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txcarbuilder
Do you know what the application is for this pump with the upper connection on the other side of the pulley? I noticed a photo in the latest issue of Street Rodder where the upper hose connection is on the left (drivers) side of the engine. I am collecting information about various pumps for different applications and I haven't seen this one before.
I found out this pump comes standard on all the crate motors,(car versions). That is what mine was pulled from. At one time I thought I knew what vehicle it came from, but can't recall now. But I do know it is what comes on the crate motors. If I recall what motor I found it to come stock on, I'll post it.
-Bob
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

This water pump was first offered in the 2009 model year. The cars included were the Pontiac G8, Cadillac CTS-V, and Chevrolet Corvette.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. The photos that I have seen of the E-rod engine show the older pump with the top connection to the passenger side of the engine. I will do some more research on this and see what I find out.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

I want to revive this thread, as I am really struggling to find a part number or application for this water pump:

Everyone refers to it as "an LS3 water pump" and several people have said that they come on LS3 crate engines. Someone above says it is the 2009 Corvette water pump but I haven't been able to find a definitive picture of this application. It's important to me that it is exactly like this - outlet on the driver side of the pulley.

Anyone know for sure the GM part number?

Thanks in advance!

Dean
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dtfastbear
I want to revive this thread, as I am really struggling to find a part number or application for this water pump:

Everyone refers to it as "an LS3 water pump" and several people have said that they come on LS3 crate engines. Someone above says it is the 2009 Corvette water pump but I haven't been able to find a definitive picture of this application. It's important to me that it is exactly like this - outlet on the driver side of the pulley.

Anyone know for sure the GM part number?

Thanks in advance!

Dean
That's an LS3 or L99 2010 Camaro water pump.

GM P/N: 19207665

Quick Reply: water pumps?