Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.5 Mustang Coupe project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im really surprised you aren't having wheelie problems. What have you done to keep the front end down?

And congrats on the new best times. For only a 250 shot at 3000lbs, 8.80s is running great.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
Im really surprised you aren't having wheelie problems. What have you done to keep the front end down?

And congrats on the new best times. For only a 250 shot at 3000lbs, 8.80s is running great.
Thanks! And I'm not expert, but I think there are several reasons I'm not a wheelie king at this time.

The car sits pretty low... Not sure if you can tell by the pics/video. It has 2" drop spindles up front and I've lowered the rear as far as I can without getting into upper control are issues and tire rubbingproblems. That in itself does not keep the front in down, but it helps.

The other reasons are gearing and U&L-CA angles.

I'm running a two speed with a 3.70 rear gear. Based off my MPH, my car would be "quicker" if I either ran a 3 speed or a lower rear gear. My combo with love a 4.10 gear... But I'm not swapping one for my 3.70.

My car off the foot brake will spin like a mad bastard. It doesn't like to be loaded, it likes to be shocked. And I shock the crap out of it. My rear tires plant hard and instant. The more I throw at it, the better it likes it. Couple that will a "relatively" high gear and a two speed and I'm getting great 60' times, even on drag radials, and I'm not flipping the car over backwards. And I think there is more in it too. I feel pretty sure I can get the 60' times in the teens without needing wheelie bars. And if I can do that, I'll be one happy guy!

BTW, I have not even Implemented my travel limiters or and shock resistance. Limiters are full out and front shocks are set to zero. So if/when it does start to come up and over too much, I have a LOT of adjustmant left to combat that.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Beast.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's interesting info. I hope mine looks so calm going down the track.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
That's interesting info. I hope mine looks so calm going down the track.
Your car will do great. BTW, did you get your fuel system worked out?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Your car will do great. BTW, did you get your fuel system worked out?
I'm going to try it as it's currently setup. If the front end won't stay down...I'll put training wheels on it. I'd rather not replace headers/oil pans.

I talked to a bunch of people and the consensus was to switch to a different regulator. I've got a Magnafuel regulator to install when the fittings arrive. I'm moving to a dead head style regulator. On the upside, I can now eliminate the return line saving a bit of weight!

A few more little jobs like switching brake lines and I hope to head to the track.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the new times. It is starting to come around now.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRracing
Congrats on the new times. It is starting to come around now.
Thanks! And if this freakin' weather will ever clear up I'll be back at it.

A race I was planning on going to last weekend got rained out and it looks to do the same thing this weekend!

I think there's a small weather window Friday night for some more test passes... We'll see. I want to try a 300 shot off the line and hit it with another 100 shot as soon as it will take it. I'm looking for low, low 8's at 165-ish... But Friday night is gonna be cold, and the track will not be prepped very well. So if I can do it under those conditions, I can do it almost anywhere... Stay tune.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The thread keeps getting better! Nice work.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a vid of a 300 shot pass. It was cold and the track was gone so it would not hold it... But it still ran out the back @ 159 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lsxmonst.../0/zWB3kdU4RvY
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Great Mustang build
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

It look and sounded real good.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Almost done. Just gotta finish up the wiring, install the dash, passenger seat and belts and rear window... Should be done with most of it this week.

Who's front bumper support is that? Need to pick up something like that for my car. Awesome build btw!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Who's front bumper support is that? Need to pick up something like that for my car. Awesome build btw!

Thanks! And I built the front bumper support.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting day at the track.

I went out for a test and tune session this weekend, and had my wildest ride yet.

I worked on the suspension the last couple of weeks to help with my cold surface traction issue. <(My car does not like a cold track)

The day went well, and my car was hooking great so I decided to step it up a little.

The first couple of passes I threw my usual tune at it to see where the track was at. It dead hooked at 250 shot at the line. Great! I made a few of those passes so I decided to step it up to a 300 shot at the line for a "watch this ****" pass!... So anyway, I'm at the line, it's all looking good so I hit it with the 300 shot right off the trans break @ 4400 RPM. Well I guess the extra bit of bite I put in the car, coupled with the extra 50 at the line changed the dynamics of my car quite a bit. It hooked and went for the sky!

My 60' on that pass was great! A 1.26 on what had to be the back tires... I rode that wheelie (there's more than one on this pass) for a good little piece before it got too high and I was starting to get concerned about the "what goes up, must come down" principal. So I tried to peddle it for a soft landing... No can do. It came down with a bang, and one of my V-band clamps where my headers connect to the rest of the exhaust system took a chunk out of the track. With that outta the way, I got back in it as soon and it was back on four wheels... And it came back up again. This time I peddled it sooner because I didn't know what I smashed on the first wheelie, and I didn't wanna do anymore damage. Once everything got settled down, I got back on it for a while but decided to coast it across the finish line. Funny thing is, it still ran a 8.82 coasting across the finish line @ 144... Oh what could have been I could have stayed in it for the full pass!!! But that's gotta wait until next time.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've always heard its best to upshift when tryin to rid out a sky high wheelie. i've never experienced it, only heard. it makes sense though.

maybe its time for some limiter straps. :p
Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 AM
8 Second Club

that never happened unless you post video evidence

how much damage did that cause?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah... shifting might have been better, but who knows. And I have limiters, but they were set at full extension. (That's what the car liked before I changed the tune) Now I will suck them up some and that should tame it. It's either that or wheelie bars... That I do NOT want.

As for the video part. I had a friend video the run for me (I thought) The first thing I said when I got out of the car was "tell me you got that on video?" He says, "yeah, yeah, I got it!" But when I looked for it on the camera it was not there... He didn't push the record button. Then my other buddy says, "if you don't have it on video, it didn't happen." ... So true.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a new personal best last night in the AFSC race. New best 60" (1.242) New best 1/8 (5.49 @128.42) and a new best 1/4 (8.58 @157.23) I won my first round and would have won my second round if I had not let off too early. I got near the end and my opponent was nowhere in sight so I let off the button... Mistake! He roared by at the very end and it was too late for me to get back on it... I'm such an idiot! I'll post up the videos later, but all in all, I'm very happy with the car... It is a blast to drive!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

That thing is a monster. 128mph in the 8th is sick.

Quick Reply: 25.5 Mustang Coupe project.