Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx Charger, considering the swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsx Charger, considering the swap

So my girlfriend has a 08 charger, its the base 2.7l and it just doesn't make any enjoyable power. So we where looking at swaping a hemi into it, it seems pretty common on the charger forums, How ever I think hemi's sound like cows and don't make the power as a lsx would, not to mention the going price on hemis.

So I started talking about a lsx platform, the engine bay has plenty of room and you can get a lq4/lq9 or even a ls1 for cheap now days.

I don't think there would be much more to it then swaping a hemi into it, Just the wiring is my question. Since the car is so new Im not sure how wiring would, Her car and all the hemis are electrical Throttlebodys, So I assume a ls2 throttlebody would work in idea, but im not really sure how the electrical tb would work coming from her factory pedal to the ECU to a lsx TB.

So if anyone has any imput on the electrical work for this project would be great.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

I have no useful input other than it sounds like a cool swap and you should do it!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

You could always just get a DBW pedal setup for the LSX and keep the GM stuff seperate from the dodge stuff.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
You could always just get a DBW pedal setup for the LSX and keep the GM stuff seperate from the dodge stuff.
this is the way to go..
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a good plan, any ideas how hard it would be to relocated the E-brake? chargers have pedal based e-brakes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Do your homework first. Lots of cars have separate body control modules and other systems separate from the computer. Make sure things like AC, ABS, cruise control, etc... will still function after the swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

I considered all of that already, the only one we are interested in keeping is AC.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a cool swap but Id make sure you dont dump a bunch of money into her car then you breakup.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jay7199
So my girlfriend has a 08 charger, its the base 2.7l and it just doesn't make any enjoyable power. So we where looking at swaping a hemi into it, it seems pretty common on the charger forums, How ever I think hemi's sound like cows and don't make the power as a lsx would, not to mention the going price on hemis.

So I started talking about a lsx platform, the engine bay has plenty of room and you can get a lq4/lq9 or even a ls1 for cheap now days.

I don't think there would be much more to it then swaping a hemi into it, Just the wiring is my question. Since the car is so new Im not sure how wiring would, Her car and all the hemis are electrical Throttlebodys, So I assume a ls2 throttlebody would work in idea, but im not really sure how the electrical tb would work coming from her factory pedal to the ECU to a lsx TB.

So if anyone has any imput on the electrical work for this project would be great.

Thanks!

6.1L -425hp
6.2L LS3-430 hp
i think your facts are a little off.

and i agree about making sure you dont dump her
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Launching!

sell it, buy a hemi car. you'll destroy the v6's resaleabilty (if ever) and have a bunch of headachs. If the v6 was blown up, i would say go for it. But time/expense/cool factor just wouldn't be there for me. but if you decide to do it, good luck and keep us posted with pics.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the Throttle body from the Corvette, its DBW....
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Klimaxx
sell it, buy a hemi car. you'll destroy the v6's resaleabilty (if ever) and have a bunch of headachs. If the v6 was blown up, i would say go for it. But time/expense/cool factor just wouldn't be there for me. but if you decide to do it, good luck and keep us posted with pics.

thats what all the charger people are saying to her, but she is set on keeping the car. we went and test drove a RT "R/T" and she wasn't impressed with it. Maybe a SRT8 would be better but idk.

I discussed resaeability with her, didnt seem to bother her. Im sure down the line it could be sold to someone instead of a dealer.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, the car is only two years old and should still be in really great shape. I hate when people take an otherwise great running vehicle and tear one up like that. Is she still making payments on it??? Heck it should still be under warranty if anything.

Me personally I would take it to a dealer and trade it off for something that already has a V8 in it....by the time you add the downtime, expense, and headache you could have gotten something ready to go.

I did a KBB on a 2008 Charger with 36,000 miles with both the 2.7 and the Hemi...this is what i found out:

2008 Charger with 2.7, Value in exellent condition - $15,100

2008 Charger with Hemi, Value in exellent condition - $ 17, 565

Difference = $2,465 to upgrade to a V8...

This is a WHOLE lot cheaper than trying to convert to a LS1, I'm already more than that invested in my swap and my car has been down since december. And I got a cheap 5.3 vortec engine...heck the engines are cheap and dime a dozen...where you spend money is all the extras to get it running.

If it's her Daily Driver I wouldn't touch it....
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Default do the math

/\/\/\ i agree with him /\/\/\
Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Hey everyone here is right about it being a headache and alot of work and the price might add up.. BUttt.... that car would be the only charger with a ls motor ... that = a cool rare factor that everyone will be like wow ..... and with the ls motor upgrades such as cam heads ect..... are very cheep easy to get and easy to install....

I would defentaly do it if i had the charger .... Dodge engines are JUNK they need a hemi to get close to ls3 power imagine if the ls3 was a hemi lol wow ....

DO IT
We are here to help .....
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Most people wouldnt know what a LSx swap was if it ran them over. Swap cars wont give a good profit in the end, esp when the Chargers already came with a comparable engine for less money
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Sounds like a cool swap but Id make sure you dont dump a bunch of money into her car then you breakup.
Agreed. I know what I'm talking about, and apparently so does LS1NOVA.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick

6.1L -425hp
6.2L LS3-430 hp
i think your facts are a little off.

and i agree about making sure you dont dump her
This may be true, however any mods done to a HEMI are going to cost a ton more than an LSx due to availability. In the end, you could make far more power than a HEMI with far less expense...and sound a ton better.

Yeah, but do make sure you don't dump her.

He failed to mention that it isn't exactly in the greatest condition. It burns oil, has transmission thuds and probably wont last to 100k anyways. The only reason this came up was because it burned up 1 1/5 quarts of oil in about 2k miles. We're not doing the swap right this second...but figured it's only a matter of time before the car dies and we have to scramble for a solution. Build a complete set-up for the Charger, have it in storage and rig it up when we need to.

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
I agree, the car is only two years old and should still be in really great shape. I hate when people take an otherwise great running vehicle and tear one up like that. Is she still making payments on it??? Heck it should still be under warranty if anything.

Me personally I would take it to a dealer and trade it off for something that already has a V8 in it....by the time you add the downtime, expense, and headache you could have gotten something ready to go.

I did a KBB on a 2008 Charger with 36,000 miles with both the 2.7 and the Hemi...this is what i found out:

2008 Charger with 2.7, Value in exellent condition - $15,100

2008 Charger with Hemi, Value in exellent condition - $ 17, 565

Difference = $2,465 to upgrade to a V8...

This is a WHOLE lot cheaper than trying to convert to a LS1, I'm already more than that invested in my swap and my car has been down since december. And I got a cheap 5.3 vortec engine...heck the engines are cheap and dime a dozen...where you spend money is all the extras to get it running.

If it's her Daily Driver I wouldn't touch it....
Alright, the car is three years old and has 70k miles on it. It is no longer under warrant and isn't worth anything close to 15k...KBB has it listed under 10k, actually.

So many assumptions, sir.

Originally Posted by hyespeeder
Hey everyone here is right about it being a headache and alot of work and the price might add up.. BUttt.... that car would be the only charger with a ls motor ... that = a cool rare factor that everyone will be like wow ..... and with the ls motor upgrades such as cam heads ect..... are very cheep easy to get and easy to install....

I would defentaly do it if i had the charger .... Dodge engines are JUNK they need a hemi to get close to ls3 power imagine if the ls3 was a hemi lol wow ....

DO IT
We are here to help .....
I like your response far more. Can you say "Worlds First Six-Speed LSx Charger"? Far cooler and more valuable than the POS it is now.

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Knock on wood?
Swap thread. Not jinx relationships thread.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your still making payments on the car I would not try to drop in another motor, if it's in that bad of shape trade the car off for something else. Don't **** your money away by completely reworking a car you still owe on.

But it's your money and time, do what you want to..
Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy

If your still making payments on the car I would not try to drop in another motor, if it's in that bad of shape trade the car off for something else. Don't **** your money away by completely reworking a car you still owe on.

But it's your money and time, do what you want to..
Fiesty.

It's not as simple as comparing it like that...we wouldn't be picking up a Hemi with 70k miles on it... Mopars typically implode before the reach 70k ... all the HEMIs we've looked at are $24k+ with 27-37k miles, and are honestly not that exciting to be behind the wheel of...and, again, sound like cows. I'm trying to stay away from refinancing another car. Yes, I still have some to pay off on the 2.7l...but dropping in another motor just comes out to so much less expense. Yes, it'll probably be an extremely frustrating and trying process, but I figure it'll be worth it in the end to not have another couple years added on to my loan.

Throw financial logic out the window. If you were given a 2.7l Charger and an LSx motor...tell me you wouldn't put them together??

Quick Reply: Lsx Charger, considering the swap