Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC Crate Motor Smoking *PROBLEM SOLVED* Update Pg.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the warranty question. I know that GM offers a three-year, 50,000-mile warranty on their crate motors, but it might not be covered because you put a cam in it when you bought it. Did you say that it smoked since day 1? I think after you broke it in and let it sit for a month without starting it, something happened internally. But like Old Geezer said, it kind of looks like oil was pouring into those cylinders from the intake or valve stems. Did you inspect the valve stems? Next step is to pull the cylinder head. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS-TEN
+1 on the warranty question. I know that GM offers a three-year, 50,000-mile warranty on their crate motors, but it might not be covered because you put a cam in it when you bought it. Did you say that it smoked since day 1? I think after you broke it in and let it sit for a month without starting it, something happened internally. But like Old Geezer said, it kind of looks like oil was pouring into those cylinders from the intake or valve stems. Did you inspect the valve stems? Next step is to pull the cylinder head. Good luck!
I called Summit last summer and they said to drive it some more to see if it clears up and if not to call them and they "will see what we can do" which to me says, they will do nothing.

I pulled the carb and see NO residue or oiling in the runners that I can see.

I pulled the valve covers and don't see anything abnormal but to be hones, with the springs there, I can't really see **** and I don't have the tools to remove the springs.

I guess I will just have to pull the heads.

I doubt the intake is leaking. I removed it a few months ago and put new gaskets in it carefully.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

After seeing the #5 plug, it almost seems like you had a misfire on that cylinder. maybe a spark plug wire wasn't connected properly causing the cylinder to misfire, therefore washing out the cylinder walls with fuel, and destroying the rings. It seems to me that the plug would still be firing and burning some more of the oil than it appears to be burning, if any at all. Just my .02
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Well, I called Summit and the guy pretty much instantly said the rings are defective after me telling him there was oil on the threads and electrode and they basically said "Oh well, call GM and see what they can do for you"

I have officially put summit on my list and will never order a single thing from them ever again.

I used to spend thousands of dollars with them repeatedly. Not anymore.

**** them. **** them hard.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AustinYukon
Well, I called Summit and the guy pretty much instantly said the rings are defective after me telling him there was oil on the threads and electrode and they basically said "Oh well, call GM and see what they can do for you"

I have officially put summit on my list and will never order a single thing from them ever again.

Originally Posted by AustinYukon
2 Summers ago I bought a crate Goodwrench 350 from Summit. I also ordered a smaller comp cam kit for it as well as intake, carb etc etc everything brand new.
Think about it from thier perspective.. You bought it two summers ago and are just now telling them about major problems..

How are they to know what you have done in that time frame?

A representative from Summit would have just as much luck knowing what transpired from "carnac the great" in that time frame.

I would tell you the same thing..
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Think about it from thier perspective.. You bought it two summers ago and are just now telling them about major problems..

How are they to know what you have done in that time frame?

A representative from Summit would have just as much luck knowing what transpired from "carnac the great" in that time frame.

I would tell you the same thing..
Haha it's a long story but yeah, they knew about the problems. They told me to put a few hundred miles on it and call them back in 6 months. The warranty expired at 5 months.

Oh well, not summit's fault they sell junk motors I guess.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Mass produced..

crate engines are a crap shoot, at best.[My bud's street rod shop has problems w/ them regularly. Fird and GM...
My $20K HEMI was absolute junk.. And that was B4 it was even installed.
Ended up w/ a crank, rods, and bare heads...
Be thankful it's a cheapo SBC...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM

I was going to post in this earlier. Just drop it off at your Chevy dealer, give the keys to the Service Manager and they will take care of it. They deal with headaches like this all the time. On the 290hp and the 200hp crate motor, there was a service bulletin on the valve seals being junk and the springs eat them up for being too close to them. These were from motors last year and the year before.

Problems like this with GM crate stuff has happened to me 2 times in the last 5 years. They will bend over backwards for you. They only will P and Moan about the cam if the cam is at fault, and they will bill you time and materials for it.

If your local one doesn't, feel free to come 1,000 miles north. There are 2 within 20 minutes of my house that will bend over backwards for you.

Last edited by Chadmn; 05-04-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: ..
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Problem solved!!!

We took the car to a local GM dealership a week and a half ago. They called last Thursday and said they met with their Area Manager and they agreed to cover it under warranty. They said they would begin the teardown that day.

I JUST got a call from the service manager saying that the car was fixed, done and ready to be picked up.

I called my father and he is happy as all get out that his baby is no longer smoking.

I am extremely happy with the dealership for covering this issue and getting her all fixed up.

The problem was...............

The valve stem seals were crushed and leaking
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Thanks you guys for all of the help, suggestions and guidance. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: SBC Crate Motor Smoking *PROBLEM SOLVED* Update Pg.2