Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'64 Chevelle 5.3/4L60E swap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Well, it is running the injectors full rich, and the engine is rich. Why isn't it trying to pull fuel back?

I had this situation when I had a spark plug wire that was partially burned and hidden under the fiberglass boot.

When the cyl was not getting spark it would shoot the unburned fuel and O2 through the exaust causing the O2 sensors to think that bank was running lean and try to add more fuel to compensate.

Thus ending up with a rich bank that would still read lean on O2s at time
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Well, it is running the injectors full rich, and the engine is rich. Why isn't it trying to pull fuel back?
It most likely has more air than the MAF thinks is going in to the engine, so the O2 sensors see extra O2 and the PCM tries to compensate by adding more and more fuel, thus a rich condition when the PCM thinks the engine is running lean.

I just cannot locate the vacuum leak.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rfrankb4
I had this situation when I had a spark plug wire that was partially burned and hidden under the fiberglass boot.

When the cyl was not getting spark it would shoot the unburned fuel and O2 through the exaust causing the O2 sensors to think that bank was running lean and try to add more fuel to compensate.

Thus ending up with a rich bank that would still read lean on O2s at time
Getting ready to pull the plugs agin this afternoon. Last time I pulled them they looked good, will check again.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Talked with tuner today and I have the right tune on the PCM.

As Forrest Gump would say, "that's good, one less thing to worry about"
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Teching In

i have seen issues where the engine came out of a front end wreck and the little post on top of the factory intake manifold where the engine cover bolts to it will crack loose ever so slightly and make it do all kinds of crazy things. i have done this swap in a 97 nissan 240sx and my 68 impala fastback although i used car intakes on truck engines, mainly for looks seeing as the truck intake actually makes more power.i just read your whole thread and i am impressed with the amount of insight and forward looking you have employed throughout you swap a very educated approach, not just a sawzall and a mig welder for sure. btw the gto's had a p/s pump with a remote mounted reservoir that might have worked well for you as well my next lsx project is a 68 pontiac firebird, i may actually create a thread for it, if you think i can be of any help to you dont hesitate to hit me up.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by snoopy1
i have seen issues where the engine came out of a front end wreck and the little post on top of the factory intake manifold where the engine cover bolts to it will crack loose ever so slightly and make it do all kinds of crazy things. i have done this swap in a 97 nissan 240sx and my 68 impala fastback although i used car intakes on truck engines, mainly for looks seeing as the truck intake actually makes more power.i just read your whole thread and i am impressed with the amount of insight and forward looking you have employed throughout you swap a very educated approach, not just a sawzall and a mig welder for sure. btw the gto's had a p/s pump with a remote mounted reservoir that might have worked well for you as well my next lsx project is a 68 pontiac firebird, i may actually create a thread for it, if you think i can be of any help to you dont hesitate to hit me up.
Actually I ended up making a custom bracket for the alternator/PS pump and am using a S10 PS pump with the reservoir attached. I am changing from a CS-130 alternator to a AD230 type so I may have to modify my custom bracket yet again. I do think that I most likely have a vacuum leak, just have not been able to locate it yet. I appreciate the info about the possibility that the leak could be where the engine cover bolts on, I will keep that in mind. I feel that I am real close to getting this thing straightened out, just haven't had any time to work on it for the last few weeks.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Launching!

UPDATE!

I'm finished with the engine swap. Runs like a late model, doesn't overheat in town, plenty of power for now, fairly quiet, car has functioning cruise control, & first check shows 22.1 MPG.

Had trouble once with the fuel getting hot and the external pump not working. I had it mounted above the gas tank, but since have lowered it to about the same level as the gas tank and no trouble since.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Mount problems

Im putting LS engine in my 69 Chevelle and I'm having a bit of a problem. I've got the right pan and adapter plates that allow you to move engine forward or backward, using the factory base/frame mounts and the 3 bolt big block or small block engine mounts, my problem is that nothing is lining up right. I went out in our bone yard and took some factory base mounts off a 67 V8 Camaro and it will give me an extra amount of rise but still wanna make sure before I drill a few new holes in my frame. Any help in this area will be appreciated, thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. Clean car and I am about 6 months behind you on my conversion. By the way those wheels look almost identical to the ones on my 1965 Buick Skylark. Are they aluminum and if so who made them?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69LSS
Im putting LS engine in my 69 Chevelle and I'm having a bit of a problem. I've got the right pan and adapter plates that allow you to move engine forward or backward, using the factory base/frame mounts and the 3 bolt big block or small block engine mounts, my problem is that nothing is lining up right. I went out in our bone yard and took some factory base mounts off a 67 V8 Camaro and it will give me an extra amount of rise but still wanna make sure before I drill a few new holes in my frame. Any help in this area will be appreciated, thanks!!!
The best investment I made in my swap was purchase of the Mast Motorsports oil pan. I was going crazy cutting the truck pan and still wouldn't fit. After buying the Mast pan (expensive, but what I needed) I finally could get the engine low enough and forward enough for clearance.

I ended up drilling and tapping the 1" setback motor-mount adapter plates to move the engine slightly lower and more forward to get everything exactly where I thought it should be. In hindsight, I should have simply made custom adapter plates, as that is essentially what I did anyhow.

Also keep in mind that the engine driveline angle needs to be checked at ride height, which is probably lower than where the engine is sitting at the beginning of the swap process. Car will come down with the radiator, fluids, battery, ect all added to the front end. That will change the engine angle a degree or two most likely.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Very nice. Clean car and I am about 6 months behind you on my conversion. By the way those wheels look almost identical to the ones on my 1965 Buick Skylark. Are they aluminum and if so who made them?
Those are 14" 1969 SS396 wheels from a chevelle. They were on the car when I bought it back in 1985, and will stay there until I can save an extra $1000 to put 17" torque thrust on. I did a front disc brake swap and they barely clear inside the 14" wheels.

Current plans are to finish the interior by doing seats and door panels, then suspension upgrades to make it ride like a new car, to match the fact that it now runs like a new car. The wheels will come when I do the suspension, probably in two years.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Nice looking car and great build. Some of young. Pictures are missing in some posts
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just love those gauges!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

so what ended up solving the engine issues?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess a lot of cars in that era came with that type of wheel. My Skylark has 15" ones on it. American Racing has something very, very similiar in their AR500 and VN500 series wheels. I was considering getting one or the other of them in 11" x 17" for the rear and leave the fronts alone to save money. Probably would have to do a mini tub.

Originally Posted by neal64ss
Those are 14" 1969 SS396 wheels from a chevelle. They were on the car when I bought it back in 1985, and will stay there until I can save an extra $1000 to put 17" torque thrust on. I did a front disc brake swap and they barely clear inside the 14" wheels.

Current plans are to finish the interior by doing seats and door panels, then suspension upgrades to make it ride like a new car, to match the fact that it now runs like a new car. The wheels will come when I do the suspension, probably in two years.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
so what ended up solving the engine issues?
2 stuck closed fuel injectors, the back injector on each side. I kept looking for something common to the engine, since both O2 sensors showed a lean condition, instead of things like individual injectors, which was a simple fix once I found it.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by neal64ss
2 stuck closed fuel injectors, the back injector on each side. I kept looking for something common to the engine, since both O2 sensors showed a lean condition, instead of things like individual injectors, which was a simple fix once I found it.
I remember reading that now... Glad it got sorted out the car looks great and im sure it'll be nice to enjoy driving it again
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
I remember reading that now... Glad it got sorted out the car looks great and im sure it'll be nice to enjoy driving it again
Sure is. I feel like a teenager when I get in that car, and wife loves going for a ride also.

Ending up taking me almost 2 years with the engine swap, but I did build a shop and add a couple of offices to the house, so I was busy with other things also. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in a month or two now, I learned so much more than I expected by way of necessity, but sure is satisfying to say I did all the work myself.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Launching!

For some reason some of my pictures are not showing always. I can click edit post, then save it without changes and they show again. I post a similar thread on team chevelle site with the same pictures and have no trouble there.

Anyone know what the problem is?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Could be worse. My build thread was all but destroyed. About half of the posts missing and then put back together out of order. The mods had no explanation for how it happened.

I love your dash by the way. Very well done.

Quick Reply: '64 Chevelle 5.3/4L60E swap build thread