Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drive time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good swap.I had a 87.5 hardbody nissan lowered and a 96 tacoma that i always wanted 2 swap. always liked 2wheel drive foreign truck idk why either lol
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That's cool. What about the a/c compressor? Where is that located?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
That's cool. What about the a/c compressor? Where is that located?
Thanks. The compressor, not hooked up, sits in the stock location down on the passenger side. I had to modify it to sit closer to the block and had to cut down the bracket that the pitman arm bolts to. Getting the AC working is on my list of things to do this summer.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Nice build...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More I drive it the more I realize I really *need* two things.

LSD
MUCH better brakes

As with any project there's still 101 things I'd like to get done, but will have to wait. As it is, it's been great fun. I wont get to the AC this year (saving for a new (to me) home), but when it cools back down it's going to be a daily driver. Right now I'm still considering it in it's shake down until I get a few thousand miles on it.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I'm doing a 5.3 vortec block in my 93
I am using a wilwood 12.19" front rotor with 4wd toyota caliper brake setup
The truck stops great!
There is an all wilwood conversion in the works also
You should really post your truck on toyotaminis.com
The guys there would love it
And you can check out the big brake or 4wd caliper threads there
I'm about to get some more adapters for the Toyota/Wilwood conversion soon

I'm also running a ford explorer 8.8 rear
You can use it as is with high offset rims or better yet do the budget narrow on it
The axle center section is offset... So
Get a short side axle from a second rear
Cut the tube on the long side
Use the short axle on both sides
Stock 2wd Toyota rear = 57"
Stock explorer rear = 59.75"
narrow explorer rear = 56.75"

The 95-01 exploder's came with 8.8 ring gears 31 spline axles LSD 4:10's 3:73's etc
They also have real nice "in hat" parking brakes in the 11" disc brake rotors
That will help stop ya...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Any way you could do me a favor? Could you look under the truck and see how far the oil pan angs below the front engine crossmember? It may not, I can't tell from any of the pictures. I'm looking at doing this same thing to my bagged and soon to be bodydropped 93 ex cab and want as much clearance as possible, so I can use the stock hood.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Im a diehard toyota truck guy, your truck holds a special place in my heart. I think its the first toyota i have seen swaped with a lsx so far.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Nicely done. I bet your grandfather would be very proud.

Andrew
Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This still hasn't really made it to a daily driver yet, no good reason, just I'm getting old and have a more comfortable car for the daily grind.

So far it's been great, it's what I use for just running around town on the weekends and after work when the girlfriend isn't with me. Just jump in and go, just like it always had been stock, now just has over three times the power and an extra gear.

Originally Posted by MTB68GTO
I'm doing a 5.3 vortec block in my 93
I am using a wilwood 12.19" front rotor with 4wd toyota caliper brake setup
The truck stops great!
There is an all wilwood conversion in the works also
You should really post your truck on toyotaminis.com
The guys there would love it
And you can check out the big brake or 4wd caliper threads there
I'm about to get some more adapters for the Toyota/Wilwood conversion soon

I'm also running a ford explorer 8.8 rear
You can use it as is with high offset rims or better yet do the budget narrow on it
The axle center section is offset... So
Get a short side axle from a second rear
Cut the tube on the long side
Use the short axle on both sides
Stock 2wd Toyota rear = 57"
Stock explorer rear = 59.75"
narrow explorer rear = 56.75"

The 95-01 exploder's came with 8.8 ring gears 31 spline axles LSD 4:10's 3:73's etc
They also have real nice "in hat" parking brakes in the 11" disc brake rotors
That will help stop ya...
Thanks for this, I found the guy selling the adapters for the wilwood/4x4 caliper front swap and have everything sitting in the garage now. Just took delivery of 3.73 LSD 8.8. So I'll be doing all of that w/in the next month or so.

How's your swap going?

Originally Posted by Suthrn98
Any way you could do me a favor? Could you look under the truck and see how far the oil pan angs below the front engine crossmember? It may not, I can't tell from any of the pictures. I'm looking at doing this same thing to my bagged and soon to be bodydropped 93 ex cab and want as much clearance as possible, so I can use the stock hood.
I used the H3 pan and it does sit maybe 1/2" below the crossmember. A fbody pan should fit and not be under the cross member at all. IIRC the reason I went w/ the H3 pan was just the volume and found a complete set up for a steal.

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
Im a diehard toyota truck guy, your truck holds a special place in my heart. I think its the first toyota i have seen swaped with a lsx so far.
There's one other extend cab 2wd. I talked to him, email, for some tips. Mainly that fbody manifolds were the only ones that would fit... and still needed modification. I can't remember his name or even how I found him. But I do give credit to "that guy" for some good help.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Nicely done. I bet your grandfather would be very proud.

Andrew
Thanks man. I'm happy to keep this on the road between it being my Grandfathers and my first set of wheels. I hope I'm beating around in this until we can't buy gas anymore.

Hell, I'd still likely swap in some electric motors then and keep it going.

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 01-16-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've started daily driving it with the weather being so nice this week so I took a quick estimates, had to fill it up today, of MPG's. Rough numbers, I'm getting ~25mpg... this is a mix of normal suburb driving and highway driving. I'll take it, better than my '93 325i.

I'm going to get more accurate numbers over the next few weeks but I can tell you it's no worse mileage than the old 22r w/ over three times the power. Still loving it. My only complaints are related to the truck itself, but those will be solved over time.

Still can't wait to swap in an LSx into the BMW.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Default bump for update

Have you been able to take any photos of as installed interior (shifter), front under carriage ( motor mounts, exhaust and clutch setup) any available wud be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Driving this on all season tires in the snow was pretty much near pointless, should have left work early. Going 20mph around a round-a-bout in 4th gear I give it a touch of gas just to keep it off idle... the truck starts to rotate. Fortunately I have a short drive home.

Also saw a guy in a first gen camaro out in the snow yesterday. Have to imagine it's his only car and HAD to be at work.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
JLC
Teching In

Oh my god! Someone else that did this swap. I am in the process of collecting parts for mine got all but the flywheel now. Running factory toyota 8in rear end with mk3 supra stage 2 lsd 4.10 gears. Right now have a gen 1 sbc stuffed into it and a 1uz radiator best time was 13.7 @ 107 mph massively over cam'd and no stall converter.
Anyway I am very very intriged at your build and please will you post pictures of the under side for oil pan clearances vs. Crossmember/steering and pulley clearance and radiator. And how close the heads are to the firewall? And your engine mounts...
Wow thats a lot sorry but just trying to see how much different it will be vs a gen1 sbc.
Kudos on the build and thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I still don't have any other pictures of this, when I have time I don't think about it, when I think about it I don't have time/access to the truck.

I work on a military installation and usually get the same guard in the mornings. Today he stopped me "I have to ask, that thing got a v8 in it". Yes, Sir. "that is awesome". Thanks man!

When he asked my heart dropped because he sees me drive it pretty much everyday and it's registered historic. Awesome that he liked the swap!

It does solidify my desire to get a quieter exhaust though. It's not loud at all, but it's noticeable.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Bump for general interest, research and curiosity.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Nice!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Drop a section of that steel plate the use to cover holes in the street when they do road work. haha your *** is gonna end up in front of you eventually lol. Nice sleeper.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM

hey man I realize been a while since you did this but by chance ive ended up with a 87 one ton toy and a wrecked 1999 Silverado 1500 if I wanna combine these two in to one truck what all will I need that I cant take from the two existing trucks aside from custom harness from some where like painless and ecm reflash?

Quick Reply: Test drive time.