Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator in Sand Rail

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator in Sand Rail

I have a 1998 LS1 I am putting into an open frame sand rail.

I bought the engine without an alternator - what model alternator will work? For this build, I only need the water pump and the alternator on the front belt, so for now other components are not an issue. In the future, I might add a supercharger, if that makes a difference in the Alt mounting.

Are there any great mounting recommendation? I would like to get a chrome Alt of course and would like to put it where it can be seen.

Right now, I am looking at a great Chrome 100 AMP ES1001-C (same as ACDelco 10SI) one/three-wire , but want to make sure it will get the job done.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you make your own brackets you can mount any alternator that will sport the correct pulley. I use a Denso alternator since they are considerably smaller than the GM stuff. I had to shop around to find one with the pulley for the serpentine belt.

Easiest option would be the same alternator that mounted on the LS1 in the first place. You didn’t say whether you had a truck, camaro or corvette motor. They all use a different belt spacing.

If you need different brackets search on kwik performance. They let you mount the alternator pretty much anywhere you want.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think you would want to mount it up top near the head like a Corvette setup to keep it away from sand and dirt being kicked up into the lower area of the engine and frame.

As Pop stated. just find one that has the correcg pully rib count (7 ?) and size width. or be able to change the pully to one that will work.

That way you can show off your pertty chrome Alternator !
Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks - that is exactly what I needed to know. I do have the ability and equipment to manufacture my own alternator mount (if I need to), so I will figure out the pulley situation, get one that looks nice, and put it up high out of the sand.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I notice Jegs has chrome GM alternators with 6 rib pulleys for under 2 bills. If you buy new like that you shouldn't have any trouble.

Look into the kwik performance stuff. Thier prices are pretty competitive. If nothing else it will give you some good ideas. Their street rod set up looks to be a good fit for narrow engine bays.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Keeping the sand out of anything in the dunes is an exercise in futility no matter where you mount it.

I have an LS1 in my sandbuggy and the alternator is on standard F-body brackets - it has worked fine for the last 4 seasons.

The trick is to keep a spare in your trailer - if you do it will never break out in the sand (something else will that you don't have a spare for)
Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Teching In

So true, ever since I bought a nitrogen charger for my shocks, I have never had them lose pressure. I take it with me to the dunes every time I go.

Yes, sand gets in everything at the dunes, that is what duning is all about. However, a nice chorme alternator up high on the passenger's side would really add to the flash factor.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Have you been on glamisdunes.com? Lots of good info there.

Quick Reply: Alternator in Sand Rail