Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp sensor and oil pressur sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default temp sensor and oil pressur sensor

Hi... i have finished my swap of an L76, 6.0L whit DOD and VVT deleted, whit L92 head, in my 69 camaro. For have it simple, all is ok, the motor run good ( in my garage), i have it whit GMPP caburator intake and 6012 MSD box.

1st:
I connect the oil pressure sender on the oil filter relocation adpater, in the inlet side, and when i hit the pedal for high rpm, pressure go to 80 psi.... The oil pump was changed for a LS2 trailblazer pump, because i read somewhere that the L76 pump was not reliable.

My question: It's better to put the senser on the outlet of my adapter? I put a Moroso 20140 oil pan, and i put the oil filter in the front, under the radiator. I would not want to have it on the valley cover.! Please let me know if it will be better on the outlet of my adapter. ( this adapter have 2 inlet and 2 outlet, for have it by the left or by the right, and have normally 1 inlet and 1 outlet caped, but me, i put my sender on the 2nd inlet,and pressure arrive direct on the sensor.

2nd:
I have installed my temp sender on the block, on the passenger side, behind the startor, for have it hidden and for have not to retape hole in the head, where it's normally installed... the problem is, when my motor run, the thermostat open normally, my electric dual fan start and all is ok, except my temps gauge... it goes only at 130-140 degre, and not at 180-190 as the thermostat open...

It's normal ? it's because i have air in the system and my gauge not read correctly ? or the bottom of the block is always cooler that the head? I will need to have the sensor connected on the head? i can take off my sensor for let the air go out?

Thanks for your help...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

nobody can help me? over 30 view and no anser ?

sorry for my english! i normally speak french.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't think it matters whether the oil pressure sensor is on the inlet or outlet of the oil filter. Oil pressure varies pretty good with RPM anyway and the pressure drop across the filter should next to nothing.

Temp sensor, not really sure what you are saying. I guess you are saying you put a sender for the gauge in the block heater plug. And I assume you have a different sender to control the fans because they are working correctly, right?

Is the gauge sender the original one from the 69? If it is then it should be compatible with the dash gauge. Try putting it in a pot of hot water with a kitchen thermometer to see if it is accurate. If so, then make sure there is a good ground on the sender.

I put my Datsun sender in the block heater plug, but in the front on the other side of the engine. It puts my stock gauge right at mid scale. When I first put it in I was a little worried that the sealant wouldn’t give it a good ground through the block or that the temp in the block wouldn’t be as accurate as the head. I had no problems though.

If the gauge is accurate on the pot of water and your grounds are good, then try putting it into the other side of the motor. I wouldn’t think that would matter but one never knows.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

I not put it on the heater plug... i put it behind the stater, it have a plug of 16 x 1.5 mm, that give on the cilinder #8. I think i can not have a good read, because the water came back in the bottom of the block, from the radiator... cooler...

I hope it'S my problem... The gauge and the sender are the same that i have on my last motor, and work very great. And my dual fan work whit probe in the radiator.

Thanks for let me know if the temp is cooler at the bottom of the block. I hope that is my problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

i will have a maximum oil pressure to respect? i will need a release valve pressure for protect my oil filter ?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're asking what is the maximum oil pressure you should be running? What is your oil pressure at idle? 80 PSI at max RPM doesn't sound too horrible to me. Maybe someone who knows better will respond.

I also wouldn't worry about the oil filter. They really only go bad when the pressure drop across the filter is too high.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

i change my oil pressur senser to the output of my oil filter relocation adapter, and pressur top to 70... better than before...

For the water temp, i order the #2277 autometer adapter, that allow me to put my 1/8 npt sensor into this adapter that have male tread of M12 x 1.5mm for go on the head!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have installed my adapter Autometer whit my sender... i reseize the hole of 1/4 to 5/6, it was not enough big... It's work really good.. temps go to 190... the bottom of the block really have 40-50 deg less than the heads... And for the oil pressure, all is ok at the output of the adapter filter... do not install it at the input!...

Quick Reply: temp sensor and oil pressur sensor