Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No oil pressure!!

im trying to get my new built 5.3 running and i cant get it to create oil pressure. ive tried turning it over with everything unplugged, i filled the oil filter and put oil down the oil pressure sensor hole and still nothin. hell our mechanic said to just run it and see what happens and i ran it for about 5secs tops and still nothin. so the last thing i was gonna try was to pull the oil galley plug out of the left front of the block and fill that with oil but when i pulled that plug out after running it, oil started coming out of that hole already. does that mean my motor was startin to make oil pressure and it just didnt run long enough to get threw the motor and up to the top of the heads? i keep pulling off the valve cover checking to see if i have oil anywhere around the pushrods but nothin yet. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Number one cause of no oil pressure is a pinched O-ring at the pickup tube/pump or that the Pickup tube is not seated flush. Both of those problem are usually the most common causes.

Another one would be if this was a new build... would be that the builder forgot to install the plastic "Bar-Bell" Restrictor in the back of the block.. without it... the pressure oil would dump back into the pan.

Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I put the motor together myself. But im not sure what barbell part your talking about. Can you explain more what it looks like and where its at in the motor. If that part was forgotten would the oil galley fill up with oil but just dump back into the pan and that would be why i had oil in the galley when i pulled out that plug?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

The barbell restrictor is held in by the rear cover that the rear main seal is mounted in. If you didn't take that off, it is still probably in place. Also if you are working on getting oil pressure, you should take the plugs oil so you aren't building cylinder pressure. You are throwing a big load to the main/rod bearings with no oil pressure. Take those out and spin it over with the starter... should build pressure no problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Wait arew you guys talking about the metal plate thats shaped like a bar bell thats bolted to the back of the block inside the rear cover? if im thinkin of the right part then yeah thats in there but mine is metal.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pressure.html

Post #14 is the barbell restrictor. It is plastic and behind the rear cover.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yeah that definitely aint in there. So where can i buy one of those? and does anyone have a picture of exactly where it goes under that rear cover
Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Well i looked in my old motor and found that barbell. I guess im pullin a tranny tonight...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the plug in the front of the block? It's about 5/8" diameter and looks like a freeze plug. That one will also keep you from building oil pressure.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

i took the transmission, flexplate, rear main cover out tonight only to find out the machinist that did my block had already put the barbell restrictor in so now im lost again. does anybody have any other ideas?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

where is that plug at on the front of the block?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frito1
The barbell restrictor is held in by the rear cover that the rear main seal is mounted in. If you didn't take that off, it is still probably in place. Also if you are working on getting oil pressure, you should take the plugs oil so you aren't building cylinder pressure. You are throwing a big load to the main/rod bearings with no oil pressure. Take those out and spin it over with the starter... should build pressure no problem.
Pull the spark plugs out when cranking is what I was trying to say....

That front galley plug is metal press in plug behind the oil pump if I remember right. It is on the opposite side of the pump discharge. I really doubt that got removed.

Did your o'ring go in nicely when you put the pump sump tube in place?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

well i have oil pressure now you guys. i got so mad last night after doin all that work and finding nothing wrong that i just pulled all the plugs out and unpluged everything and cranked away and after a few minutes of cranking i finally built great oil pressure. so now when its turning over it makes 40psi. thanks for all your help, i learned more about my motor than anything. now i can finish the truck up by car craft nationals!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great new... sorry that you had to go though any or all of the.. but like you said.. you have learned a few thing and can pass that on to others.

What kind of pressure do you have running cold and hot now ?

post some picture up of your work !

BC
Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

well ive only fired it. its my first lsx build so i just wanted to make sure that it ran and i wasnt wasting my time finishing up a truck with a motor thats no good but it runs like a champ. i dont know wat oil pressure i run running cold or hot yet. but ill definitely let you guys know.

heres some pics of the truck and the motor i put together. i had no clue what i was doing when i got the idea but A TON of research and guys like you guys are a great help.

i built the truck from a stock green 2wd truck to what it is now. all the paint work, drop kit, everything is done by me. my dad help me buy the truck when i was 11 cause i wanted something to work on till i turned 16. now im 21 and this truck is one of the most important things in my life. i love it! let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet. Nice ride man
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

great going.. keep up the good work.. Clean and not over done...

Quick Reply: No oil pressure!!