Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00' Firebird V6 to V8 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
i wasnt gunna reply to this f**ing ignorant post, but i changed my mind after reading it a couple times;

i bought a plush 99 z28 hardtop m6 w/68k five months ago for 6 grand and last saturday i wrecked it. not bad, but the body did get tweaked. it was my first accident and the normal thing to do would be to turn it in to insurance, have them declare it totaled and cut me a fat check......well........ since it was paid for (and i hardly ever drove it) i didnt put full coverage on it live & learn i guess

i found a 2000 v6 roller in perfect shape for 1900obo. so... 'meanyellowZ'... this swap would seem the cheapest and easiest way for me to get back behind the wheel of a ls1 equipped vehicle wouldnt it? im not tryin to start **** btw, i just want to point out how stupid and ignorant u sound. some people cant afford to by a z28/ss so they get a v6 knowing that they can switch motors later.

I guess someday I'll have to try one of these swaps and see what they are all about....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering how much work he has put into the car already, I wouldn't consider it too far fetched to want to swap it. Its not like LS1's are expensive at this point. Some people just like to work on what they have. I just got done swapping my automatic out for a 6 speed, lots of people say "well why didn't you just buy one that way", but the point was I found the exact car I wanted besides that and it was a good deal. A little labor never killed anyone. If you say you do these swaps 7 days a week, then obviously there has to be a reason for it?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
i wasnt gunna reply to this f**ing ignorant post, but i changed my mind after reading it a couple times;

i bought a plush 99 z28 hardtop m6 w/68k five months ago for 6 grand and last saturday i wrecked it. not bad, but the body did get tweaked. it was my first accident and the normal thing to do would be to turn it in to insurance, have them declare it totaled and cut me a fat check......well........ since it was paid for (and i hardly ever drove it) i didnt put full coverage on it live & learn i guess

i found a 2000 v6 roller in perfect shape for 1900obo. so... 'meanyellowZ'... this swap would seem the cheapest and easiest way for me to get back behind the wheel of a ls1 equipped vehicle wouldnt it? im not tryin to start **** btw, i just want to point out how stupid and ignorant u sound. some people cant afford to by a z28/ss so they get a v6 knowing that they can switch motors later.

You rubbed me the wrong way so I had to come back for more. First off, pemberton, this is NOT directed towards you. I came in and dropped my $.02 worth in your post and you had a courteous response to my less than courteous post. But then twizzlestickBOBthe4dH8r came in with his response to me so I figured I would go a little deeper into my point. If you own the V6 car and it could be sold for x amount of dollars...be it $3000 - $4000 -$5000...whatever...and you buy $3500 worth of V8 stuff and still have the swap ahead you will NOT come out ahead. After being around the block with this stuff a few times once you think you have spent all the money you usually have that left again to spend to finish the job. It's a LOT of work to do it right and it will 99% of the time be cheaper and more enjoyable in the end just selling the car and buying an LS car to begin with. Here are a handful of examples on the FIRST page of the for sale section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ando-area.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-z28-auto.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...d-formula.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-trans-am.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...6-hardtop.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-2000-z28.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...-z28-6spd.html

Bobthewhatever, get off your big wheel....if you wrecked your car and it wasn't insured right and you picked up your dream V6 Camaro for cheap, GOOD for you...want a cookie? That's a different situation...go sit in the corner. I have been around, done this - done that..and been around this site and many others for a loooooong time. You might note I wrote the budget swap sticky at the top of this section... I get asked once a week about swapping an LS1 into a 4th gen....somehow those emails always seem to get ignored.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
If you say you do these swaps 7 days a week, then obviously there has to be a reason for it?
There are a million great points...to swap them into any type of vehicle they can't simply be bought in....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
There are a million great points...to swap them into any type of vehicle they can't simply be bought in....
Keeping with your theme of doing budget swaps, what kind of vehicle(s) would you recommend swapping an LS1/4L60E into?

I'm kind of in the same boat BOBthe4dH8r having just wrecked my Z28. I haven't ruled out swapping my setup into a V6 but I'm also checking out more unique swaps.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Ok guys we all need to calm down... Deep breaths... lol. Story is my mother bought this car after my BMW E36 was kidnapped from my driveway, I miss that damn car. But I had to leave to start basketball conditioning at college soon. So we bought the car as a quick fix from a friend. I planned on selling the car to get another BMW but soon fell in love with the LS1 (my friend has a WS6). So I kept doing stuff to the car (power everything, leather interior, Trans Am body kit, Corvette wheels) and I have so much invested in it that I probably can't get out of it if I were to resell it, therefore I believe the swap makes more sense. And furthermore I just love working on cars. I'm not the best and know everything but with these community boards you can learn how to do almost anything.

Also this is the BMW I previously owned:

Last edited by pemberton; 06-17-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

""[/QUOTE]Bobthewhatever, get off your big wheel....if you wrecked your car and it wasn't insured right and you picked up your dream V6 Camaro for cheap, GOOD for you...want a cookie? That's a different situation...go sit in the corner. I have been around, done this - done that..and been around this site and many others for a loooooong time. You might note I wrote the budget swap sticky at the top of this section... I get asked once a week about swapping an LS1 into a 4th gen....somehow those emails always seem to get ignored.[/QUOTE]""

dude, you sound like a douche and i shouldnt even waste my time with you... but i guess i will....

1st off; i never called you names, all i did was point out how inappropriate your post was. talking **** about v6 to v8 swaps in a post that is exactly that, just doesnt make sense to me. im all for posting your $.02 but not if its degrading the op.

2ndly; "get off my big wheel" lol WTF? im not the narrow-minded ******* yapping my mouth sayin how big of a badass i am, and how stupid it is to do this swap.

anyway im glad this happend cuz now i know not to listen to anything "meanyellowz" has posted, sticky or not!!!

BTW, sorry OP for getting off topic. i dont want this thread to get locked so i wont reply to anything off topic again
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I agree with you here, wasn't trying to sound obnoxious if it came off that way.

Originally Posted by pemberton
So I kept doing stuff to the car (power everything, leather interior, Trans Am body kit, Corvette wheels) and I have so much invested in it that I probably can't get out of it if I were to resell it, therefore I believe the swap makes more sense.
This was my main point. It seems like he had a ton of effort wrapped up in the car already and probably some sentimental value. If it was just a stock V6 I would say grab up a factory LS1 car and keep the 6 as a DD or something.

Anyways, back to the OP, thats a really nice looking car, good luck with the swap.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have fun with your 3.8l insurance payments

nice to see another Firebird ls1!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Launching!

lol yeah the insurance is ok. Right now I only have liability but it's still $70 I am gonna change it back to full coverage though.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

I finally got the engine outta the truck bed and in the garage. I bought these stands on eBay that bolt to the engine mount holes, but I noticed the engine has a Vette oil pan... I don't think this will work in the TA. Do any of you guys no, they have these weird notches in the side of the pan that might get in the way?

I also plan on keeping the Vette accessories and brackets. I am having a hard time finding the TA brackets that don't cost an arm and leg, plus i kinda like the alternator not being under the frikin' car, and where you can't access it.

Last edited by pemberton; 07-05-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LETS DO THIS!!! Get 'er done boyyyyy.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

I need a T56 after that I can get the engine in. I am so pumped. For all you guys wanting a write-up up look no further once everything is done I'll have it for you all. Keep checking in.

Last edited by pemberton; 06-19-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skorch1ss
hey man, just got done with my swap. I found i need a v8 radiator as the v6 one will overheat while idling. I have some pedals if your interested. idk how far away you are. but im in nky. hit me up
Im gonan be starting my swap soon & was wondering if there were any parts that you over looked & then ended up needing? Do the wiring harnesses from the V6 & V8 plug in the same? What other wiring things need to be changed? Any thing in the car(behind the firewall?)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Whats funny is I was trying to de trans am my trans am and you are going the other direction. I commend you on your car and doing the swap etc will give you lots of knowledge compared to just buying and selling cars.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When are you gona start?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I am having trouble getting the T56. As soon as I acquire one I can start. If anybody knows of one please let me know. Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Also keep checking my original post I will update that so that people only have to read the first post. I also added that I am going will long tube headers and a 3" Y-Pipe. Don't lose faith in this post, I need that transmission. If anybody heres about one let me know. I am looking to spend about a grand on it. Thanks

Last edited by pemberton; 07-08-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will help u out. Here is where I get my parts,

local junkyard
Car-parts.com
Ls1tech.com
Craigslist.org
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Yeah I have found one from a member here on LS1 tech but I need to scrape up some more money for it. So back to eBay to sell some stuff since I don't get paid till next week. I only need $300 more so I should be able to get it and be shipped back by the end of the next week. I get my new harness in today! Then I will need about another week to get all the little parts from my guy up in Pennsylvania (K-Member, steering rack, throttle cable, transmission mounts & bracket). Then I can put her in the car. I also plan on once the V6 is pulled. Sanding down the engine bay and filling some holes and painting. (can't decide whether to rattle can it or spend about $150 on PPG paint). I'll also paint the K-Member and upper & lower A-arm black to make them look like new again. I'll keep you posted with the tranny situation though guys. Later

Quick Reply: 00' Firebird V6 to V8 LS1 Swap