Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intro thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intro thread

I recently drove my cousins LS1 GTO and was rather impressed with the motor. Nice tq and linear power.

The car was nice an all, but seemed a bit on the heavy side. I've ridden in his 99 LS6 powered Ws6 before as well, and really liked that car.

A bit of my background- I'm coming over from the import world. No not hondas, they're wrong wheel drive. I've owned 7 Nissan 240sx's over the years, and while they're fun little cars, they're hardly fast.

Basically, I'm here to learn about LS1, and LS2 as options for a motor swap. Price, performance and strength/ reliability for upgrades. I'm currently trying to figure out if the LS2 is worth the money over a LS1... To be honest, either motor is over kill for the car its going in, but overkill= good IMO.

I'm looking at LSx options for a 74' 260Z. With an all aluminum motor and some weight reduction I figure it should weigh in at about 2300- 2400 lbs.

Immediate goals would be sourcing/installing Lsx, and getting it to 400whp.

Sorry for the long post, I'm pretty excited about this route for the Datsun...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Teching In

update. I may have scored a free lSx truck motor...
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

400whp can be pretty easy depending on the size of the engine, if its a 5.3L it takes a lot more work, but in a 6.0L or 5.7L LS1 it is easier. Figure at least a cam package and good exhaust setup - if you have the funds porting the heads or buying aftermarket ported heads can get you that last bit and is something to do after or with the cam. Heads alone don't do much though without already having a good camshaft in place.

Sounds like a fun project, about the only thing I could see being a weight issue is that if you get a truck engine it will likely be a cast iron block instead of the lighter aluminum LS versions. Cast iron block is 99% identical in external dimensions/bolt locations, but about 85lbs heavier.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Teching In

check out
http://www.silviav8forums.com/forum/
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

yeah I know the truck motor has an iron bottom end. but its free, and I figure I'll swap it out for a aluminum shortblock later. btw its a 6.0
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

@ speed worxs- the LSx is going in a Datsun s30 chassis, not a s13/s14. Ive seen swaps into those cars as well tho, and they're pretty sick...