Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What about unbolting the frame mounts from the frame and bolting up the adapter/motormount/frame mount to the engine and setting the assembly in place. Wherever it ends up either mark or tack weld the frame mounts to the subframe, pull things apart and drill new holes for the frame mounts. If you do it that way you can put the motor/trans as far forward/backward as you want... If you still need spacers put some flat steel under the motor mounts...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on that.. I have used that for my swap and recommend it if mod'in everything else fails. This is also what and how the Early BRP mounts were used and installed.

You may only end up enlarging the frame hole in one direction just to move the stands a bit if that is all that is needed.

I was also able to move my engien as far back as I could. I also narrowed my Frame stands some and used spaces on either side to jack the engine a bit to get it centered as needed.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny enough i am going thru this exact thing on my '69 Cutlass right now...I believe the Energy Suspension mounts are part of the problem but I am going to try flipping them...

That may get me where I need to be. If that doesn't work I am picking up some stockers. Can anyone shoot me the PN for stocker Mounts for those style adapter plates in a Chevelle. I believe mine are the tall and narrow Energy ones.

Thanks!
Dave

PS Sorry for the thread jack, swap is looking good!!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, I looked at the adapter plates you posted in an earlier post and you need to make a new set of plates out of 3/8 to 1/2 steel. You also need to offset your motor mount to plate holes downward on the plate by the same amount to compensate for the plate thickness. Look closely at the CARSHOP plates and you will notice this detail. You can vary your engine height some by changing your plate thickness. Without this compensation you are pushing the mounts outward only creating a wider pattern for the through mounting bolts that was originally designed into the frame stands.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did exactly as mantycarguy suggests on my '71 I just finished. I used 3/8" plate and moved the mounting pattern down approximately 1 bolt hole (3/8"), don't remember exactly, but after completing, dropped right in using the frame stands that came in the original 307 car. I did not use the backing plates that come with the motor mounts.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jimbo... they very well could be. the car came with a 307/th350, and had the original drivetrain in it. i'm assuming mine are the original stands.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
Bill, I looked at the adapter plates you posted in an earlier post and you need to make a new set of plates out of 3/8 to 1/2 steel. You also need to offset your motor mount to plate holes downward on the plate by the same amount to compensate for the plate thickness. Look closely at the CARSHOP plates and you will notice this detail. You can vary your engine height some by changing your plate thickness. Without this compensation you are pushing the mounts outward only creating a wider pattern for the through mounting bolts that was originally designed into the frame stands.
http://www.carshopinc.com/images/ls%...cdc4088c1b06ba

The car shop plates look just like the ones I have with location of bolt holes, but did notice the 1" set-back plates are different with height of the motor mount bolt holes, but really don't want to run the motor 1" set-back as it is right on my firewall, way too close for me to want to use them. Tranny location is not an issue as I am using the 4l80e and will need to make my own crossmember.

Does anyone have a good picture, or diagram that shows the bolt locations on the car-shop motor plates? Or how thick they are?

Was loving this swap until now. Don't want to buy a bunch of mounts/plates/frame stands to keep trying to get this bugger to fit, I rather drill new holes before I go mad
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all of the time you and effort you have been putting into this as bolt in effort (different plates, mounter mount, frame stands).. You could be done if you just bolted the plates, mounts and stands together on the engine, dropped the engine in, mark the location for the bolt holes of the stands or weld the stands in place and be done with it. One shoot and you could be done and down the road.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Where are you with the car now? Is the pan still hitting? Maybe you can tells what parts you are using now and you could match up with other novas that have done this swap. I used the 350 nova frame stands/ES-mounts/autokraft pan, and redrilled my hooker mounts to bolt up like the carshop ones in the link you have..
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Launching!

I am back to rubber mounts with the lip cut off, the motor plates that "look" like the car shop plates (non-setback) turned upside down so the point is facing forward, but on the bottom, the tall/wide frame stands, and the jz motorworks oil pan (hitting crossmember).

I think I will just get everything lined up and drill new holes if it can be done without the oil pan hitting the crossmember, if not the pan will be for sale and will get a autokraft pan instead
Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by billsnogo
I think I will just get everything lined up and drill new holes if it can be done without the oil pan hitting the crossmember, if not the pan will be for sale and will get a autokraft pan instead
Looks like I can not just drill new holes and use the frame stands, the oil pan hits the crossmember no matter where I place the motor. I would need to make some custom frame stands at least 1/2" taller to make it work.

I think it is time to sell the pan and use a different one. I spent the $400 so I could avoid these problems. I swear I have read that others have used the truck pan in 1st gen f-body and novas, so why am I have trouble?
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Launching!

Well, after adding three washers per side under the motor mount, and using the backing plates on the energy suspension mounts I finally got it where the oil pan will clear the crossmember. I will still need to drill two holes for the frame mount on the passengers side, but can use the three holes on the drivers side.

I looked in the oil pan faq, but there are no dimensions on the autokraft pan. Does anyone know how thick the pan is in the non-sump area (front of pan)?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Teching In

The autokraft pan thickness is similar to the older SBC pans.. Its not as thick as the cast aluminum ones..
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billsnogo
Well, after adding three washers per side under the motor mount, and using the backing plates on the energy suspension mounts I finally got it where the oil pan will clear the crossmember. I will still need to drill two holes for the frame mount on the passengers side, but can use the three holes on the drivers side.

I looked in the oil pan faq, but there are no dimensions on the autokraft pan. Does anyone know how thick the pan is in the non-sump area (front of pan)?
Got any new pics of the clearance? Are you still going with a different oil pan?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Got any new pics of the clearance? Are you still going with a different oil pan?
I tried to get a pic of clearance, but very hard to get a good shot, even more so since the front sway bar does not allow the camera to get low enough, and if I get further away, it is just too hard to tell if there is anything. There is just enough clearance to fit the flat cardboard (not corrugated) between, but not much more.

I might keep the pan, might not. Depends on how the dynatech headers fit. If they do not fit well, then I will sell this pan and go with a autokraft pan instead. Still may if I can find a deal better than $400

Also not sure if this is enough clearance for the coil pack as I have no plug wires to see if it will rub on the power booster. If not, may go with the different pan so I can lower the motor, or if I can get a decent setup to relocate my coil packs, I may just do that too.....
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

Nice build sorry to hear so many problem with the motor mounts. Here is my suggestions take them for what you will.
Bolt everything to the engine set it in where you want it using 3/8"-1/2" spacers under the stands. That should give you plenty of room for your pan.
And as far as your coil/booster I would just get a 9" booster and that would give you plenty of room there.
Good luck keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Teching In

I hmde some 1/2 " spacers out of aluminum so that my R&P would clear... It did raise the motor up but the R&P was still hitting so I scrap that idea and went with a box. I would try that first before you spend $400.
Bryan
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Well, got new motivation and back to work on the nogo after getting motivation from LS1nova and his turbo charged beast

Still waiting for the friggin headers from jegs. I am getting pretty ticked after I found out another person on here also had there on backorder from summit, but only had to wait a few days unlike me (looking at 2 months ) so not 100% sure which way to go. Ordered a new f-body pan, but might end up selling it anyways since things are going pretty well with the jzmotorworks pan. Not sure though.

Put an angle finder on the crank pulley and shows about 4-4.5 degrees with the tail downward, and from what I can find, that is acceptable, and will be even less when the car is lowered as it is WAY to high in the front with the big block springs

With three washers under each of the three bolts on the drivers side, and none on the passengers side, with the load plate behind the energy suspensions motor mounts, I get just enough oil pan clearance to not have contact, maybe just enough clearance for the coil to powerbooster, and have the alternator clear the subframe. But I will still need to drill two holes for the frame stand on the passengers side, only one existing hole can be used. Will use all three on the drivers side.

Not only that, it looks like I can use my th400 crossmember, one bolt hole lines up with existing hole, but will need to drill the second.

Unfortunately, the energy suspension tranny mount will not fit, I need a shorter one..... don't know if the factory rubber one is shorter, or will need to cut this one, but still pretty pleased

That, or I will cut out the plate where the mount meets the crossmember and lower it
Old 09-25-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

good progress! I have some truck wires, didnt know yoy needed any,crap.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
good progress! I have some truck wires, didnt know yoy needed any,crap.
Hmmm......maybe I need to make another trip south to pick them up, and drool a little more

Quick Reply: 71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build