Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Dynatech headers burning plug wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no fix yet. I'm really wanting to relocate the coils but not for sure where and how that's going to go. Probably only fix is to put a 90 degree boot and go up between header tube and header instead of around. I do have a few pics and I'll load them up next week or so.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Get the MSD wires with the multi angle boots. They are a little longer than stock wires. Most importantly, you can individually bend the boot to any angle you want. Should clear any header problem.
Did you try these wires?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

No. What's the part number for them? I can't find them. And do you know if they are longer then the Fbody or the truck wires?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Still watching this as I just ordered these headers and would love to find out what works
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

I mocked my dynatech's up the other day and unfortunately have the same problem as described. Took a number of pics and e-mailed them to dynatech. I talked to them today and they said that this was the first they have heard of any plug wire interference?

I find that hard to believe given the fact that there is no freakin way a stock set of plug wires will work with the fitment of the driver side header. There only suggestion was to run remote mount coils..... not exactly the solution I was hoping for. Couple pics of where the problem lies......

Last edited by SlvrSierra4.8; 08-17-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Launching!

So is the boot touching the header? Hard to tell in the pic. I really wanted these headers to be decent (just bought some and waiting for delivery) and didn't want to play the guessing game with this part too

Might have to relocate coils anyways since my power booster is pretty close, just need to find an out of the way place to put them that looks nice.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two suggestions:

Different plug wires: try Magnecore brand... they're not cheap, but they're probably the best out there. Not sure what your service temperature is, but I think their best wire is 700* continuous and 1,200* bursts. Further, they have a variety of boots and connector ends. They will custom make you a set or a single wire if you need it.

Coat the headers: those are some good looking headers, so you probably won't want to do this. But it's probably the surest fix. Try a really good industrial coating (not paint with ceramic flake in it) like Swaintech's White Lightning. It's a white coating and it's not for everyone, but it is most likely to solve your problem.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Third suggestion. Go to autozone and get a pack of plug sleeves. I believe they are usually Accel brand, and back with the Spectre chrome stuff.

Ive been running these for years. Ive even used them to insulate fuel and brake lines, and clutch hydro lines where they come close to the headers. My #2 plug on my car is hard against the primary. The boot has never melted, the sleeve has never burnt. Im running stock Z06 wires too...nothing special. Stainless uncoated headers.

Thats how it is 24/7. Laying right on the header. They look kinda cool too in my opinion.

Just make sure they are nice, double walled fiberglass ones. I think they're about $40 a set...maybe less.

J.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, its real simple and I should have done this awhile ago. I tried 90's but they do need an angle. I ordered some MSD 115 degree boots, so just take the straights off and put the new on. I was told to just put a NGK 120 but the place I called was out. Should have mine this weekend so ill update.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myz06
Okay, its real simple and I should have done this awhile ago. I tried 90's but they do need an angle. I ordered some MSD 115 degree boots, so just take the straights off and put the new on. I was told to just put a NGK 120 but the place I called was out. Should have mine this weekend so ill update.
Interested to see your results, please post up some pics once installed
Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my #3 plug and solved it by making my own wire and routing it over the top of the header tube and then up from underneath to a 90' degree boot. I zip tied it to my power steering hose to make sure it stayed off the header. Been that way for almost 4 years without further problem. All the wire components are from Taylor wires.

Hope that helps

Pat
Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
the headers look nice but whoever designed them at dynatech is a ******* idiot
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Looks like I have time to look for other budget headers since mine are still on back order and will not ship for another four weeks

Any other nice budget headers out there?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by billsnogo
Looks like I have time to look for other budget headers since mine are still on back order and will not ship for another four weeks

Any other nice budget headers out there?
I'll sell you mine, lol
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Check out the pic in this thread, the guy made a wire holder out of a hose clamp: http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=448894
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

This:

Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some men you just can't reach.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/

I had those exact same stock plug wires. Replaced them with the MSD's in the link above. You can bend the ends to any angle you want. They will be shorter off the ends of the plugs when you do. Should clear those headers just fine.

If the wires in the link above aren't long enough, they sell kits with ends and longer wires.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31189/?rtype=10

Here is a link to just the ends and other bits. Apparantely the summit racing web site is hard to use?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

If you still have the coil packs on the valve covers I will bet a pack of Hostess minidonuts the plug wires linked above will work.

Hmmmm. donuts

Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't want to spend that much money on a new set when I just really needed two wires. I got my MSD 115 degree boot ends from Jegs last night so maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll snap them together and post up. I was told when I first asked this on another site, to just buy some NGK 120 degree boot ends for $3.50 each and I should have just done that. Easy fix. The place I called was on backorder for them and I wanted them quick, so I just hit up Jegs. Now I can go in between the header and the heads instead of over them, which would require much longer wire. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Some men you just can't reach.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32829/

I had those exact same stock plug wires. Replaced them with the MSD's in the link above. You can bend the ends to any angle you want. They will be shorter off the ends of the plugs when you do. Should clear those headers just fine.

If the wires in the link above aren't long enough, they sell kits with ends and longer wires.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31189/?rtype=10

Here is a link to just the ends and other bits. Apparantely the summit racing web site is hard to use?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

If you still have the coil packs on the valve covers I will bet a pack of Hostess minidonuts the plug wires linked above will work.

Hmmmm. donuts

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Okay the 115 degree boots are good. So far. Have a few extra if anyone wants. $6 for 2. Okay if i could figure this samsung captivate phone out i would post a pic from my photobucket account.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myz06
Okay the 115 degree boots are good. So far. Have a few extra if anyone wants. $6 for 2. Okay if i could figure this samsung captivate phone out i would post a pic from my photobucket account.
So only two were needed? I am interested. So just put those on the ends of stock wires?

Quick Reply: HELP! Dynatech headers burning plug wire