Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome work!! I think the color of the block will set off the engine bay nicely.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3xbrowncutty
awesome work!! I think the color of the block will set off the engine bay nicely.
Thanks man, I am hoping to get the engine and trans in and done today...have to do a little tweaking of some parts to get a better fit but that's the goal today.

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Engine and transmission are officially in...wooohooo!!! Went in a lot easier than yesterday's debacle. Cut the panhard bar mounts off the top and made a world of difference!

Headers fit really well...they are 4th gen F-bodies right out of the box.

Enjoy the pics!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Minor hiccup today...went to bolt up the torque converter to the flexplate and noticed all the holes are roughly a half diameter off....um...yea, I bolted up a 4L80e flexplate with spacer to use a 4L60e....DOH!!!!

I am a little bummed because I took so much care getting it in the car and now I may have to pull it back out.

Right now I am toying with the idea of elongating the holes to make it work...not sure I like this though I have heard it done. I also don't know if the converter mates up properly to the crank when you slide it up...

Can u get away with elongating the holes or is this a no no?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

more info on the fast setup??

ive had this on my list of stuff to get since i got my mustang (even when i was thinking about keeping the 5.0), so i know about the specs and all that; but anything you like/dislike before youve used it? haha
Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irish350
more info on the fast setup??

ive had this on my list of stuff to get since i got my mustang (even when i was thinking about keeping the 5.0), so i know about the specs and all that; but anything you like/dislike before youve used it? haha
No real dislikes at this point other than their directions v. tech support. What I mean is that I flat out saw a video of them running the EZ-EFI on a 572 crate motor in what appeared to be a deadheaded configuration. Seeing that I configured my fuel system similarly. Once I got the kit and read through the directions they were very clear to have a return style. Not that it is really that big a deal, but when I called Comp they told me I had to run a vacuum referenced regulator....but later in the convo the tech told me I didn't need to hook up the vacuum reference port....um....ok? Once I tried to get into a deeper conversation he basically just kept deflecting. So after talking to a few more guys I am just going to try it out dead headed and see how she does.

Other than that....absolutely love it thus far. EZ TCU should be here today!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Any tie rod issues with the JZ pan on pass side??
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sik6spd
Any tie rod issues with the JZ pan on pass side??
As far as I can tell absolutely no issues. Things lone up pretty nicely. I will check when I get home tonight just to make sure for you. I don't want to misinform anyone.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Why did you not paint the front cover, intake, and valve covers? I LOVE the Olds colored stuff. It slays me.

SWS
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Little update for ya...

Looks like I goofed and installed the wrong flexplate. Hey, it happens to the best of us, so the engine is back out again. Not the end of the world, just glad I noticed it before I did anything stupid...haha

And while I feel I took a small step backward, I did take two steps forward today! Decide to get a cheaper set of wheels for now because I just can see spending $3000 for a set of wheels that will enter a paint booth and I want to make sure they fit the car. I decided on the Boss 338s for now...with Rushforth Rated Xs coming in the not so distant future.

I also picked up a set of Nitto 555s to complete my rolling stock.

The FAST EZ TCU showed up yesterday as well so I am still moving in the right direction. Still a little bummed Pace hasn't delivered by accessory drive yet, but they are still making them...or so I have been told. Been close to 3 weeks since order, but what can I do...

Oh well, thanks!
Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Nice little update....SHE ROLLS!!!

Got her out of the garage for the first time in a over a year or so...definitely need to work on the camber...lol. But I am way overdue cleaning the garage. Gotta start getting some sheet metal on the front to get a feel if I need ot go lower on the front springs.

Still waiting on the tank and front accessory drive. Am going to start on wiring and body work in the next few days.

Enjoy...

Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

I did a bit of wiring last evening, but for some reason the pics didn't take, so I will post them tonight. Trying to get as clean an appearance as possible. Originally I was not going to put anything in the engine compartment but I believe that leaving the EZ-EFI and the MSD on separate sides of the engine compartment will give them the decent separation.

More pics to follow tonight...I am going to work some more on wiring and work on the camber as well. Can't believe I am actually starting to work on closing up some systems - ie completing them.

More to come!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do great work! How do you get things so clean? Can you give details on the wheels, and tires?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Been a while since an update....should have more for this coming week. Finally got a Corvette Accessory Drive form a company called Nook and Tranny...they are an Ebay vendor and were VERY helpful...pieced together the exact kit Pace Performance was offering (but NEVER delivered) at a competitive price.

Anyways, I have been doing a lot of wiring and will be doing some body work as well in the next few weeks. Hope to have her running within a month...trying to keep my credit cards in check...

I changed the valve covers to stock LS3 style ones so that I could clear the drive and I could paint them W30 bronze...gives it a stealthier look.

Here's some shots of the accessory drive installed.

I also recently acquired a 2.5" X pipe system from Magnaflow that should look and sound awesome.

More pics to come shortly!
Dave
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Bad-*** build. You’re making great progress. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Keep up the good work…

Good choice with the BOSS wheels. I have the same ones on my 68 LeMans (LS1/4L60e). 18x10 Rear w/275-40 BFGs and 18x8 Front w/235-35 BFGs.
Attached Thumbnails Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e-68_lemans-533.jpg   Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e-haydocy-2010-g.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

GOLDRUSH98

thats an awesome paintjob, im looking to do a similar job on my car, where did u get the paint??
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GOLDRUSH98
Bad-*** build. You’re making great progress. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Keep up the good work…

Good choice with the BOSS wheels. I have the same ones on my 68 LeMans (LS1/4L60e). 18x10 Rear w/275-40 BFGs and 18x8 Front w/235-35 BFGs.

Diggin that Matte black man...very sinister.

I will be rockin' the Boss 338s for a while and will eventually get a set of 17x9 steelies with dog dishes to complete the look I was going for. I will toggle between the two sets.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Well...yet another slight change in directions and back with the original plan...

BW S475 Turbo, large turbine, GMPP Single Plane intake with Edelbrock low-profile elbow...

Also got a Lingenfelter 100mm MAF and 58x/24x reluctor conversion box coming as well as a PSI conversion harness and a 90mm Edelbrock Throttle Body.

HUGE thanks to Jon at PSI conversion...RIDICULOUS service and aims to please. Hooked me up with solid discounts and called my azz Sunday morning to square things away. Are you kidding me!??!

More pics to come soon.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the way you think...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Teching In

had no idea banditdave was running an LS motor in an olds now. I can already here red phones ringing and people crying foul on ROP.

I hope to join the LS ranks at some point just been a long last two years.

ozzy4ever1 on rop

Quick Reply: Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e