Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See anything odd in this engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default See anything odd in this engine bay?

I'm thinking about buying a '92 Camaro swapped with an LS1 and T56. Since I haven't done this swap I figured I'd ask some of you guys who have if you see anything out of the ordinary.

Things I noticed: (aside from being filthy)

The wiring in could be cleaned up.

Coolant hose on the passenger side is about twice the size it should be.

And a hole in the firewall I'm guessing for the heater box.

Do you guys see any other problems? I'm mainly looking for deal breakers or something that's going to cost me more money to fix.
Attached Thumbnails See anything odd in this engine bay?-engine-bay.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-engine-bay2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, if I were you I would probably pass, BUT I like doing everything myself. You have no idea what he did or didn't do to that harness or whether driveline angles are kosher, not to mention you have no heat and will have to really clean that wiring up...it looks ugly as hell.

That being said, the major part of the swap is done so if you enjoy doing wiring, etc...or it is a SMOKIN' deal, then why not? I would definitely reroute the wiring at a minimum and make sure the transmission is good, etc...drive it a bit, let it warm up, question fan control, etc...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dave
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the second picture.. I noticed a lot of rust on the Struts bolts.. how is the rest of the body and under side ?

Since your buy a car.. you have to look at the overall big picture, body, suspension, interior, etc....

Also.. SMOG.. does the car have to pass any smog test, does it need to be re-certified (has it already been done or need it). Is it missing anything that would make it fail the smog test ?

you get what you pay for...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Here are a few more pics from under the car. I haven't actually seen the car in person yet. The wiring was the first thing I noticed, and I see what you're talking about on the strut bolts. There is a good bit of rust under the car as well.

As far as inspection, it'll pass as long as it has cats and the heater works, which I would have to take care of.
Attached Thumbnails See anything odd in this engine bay?-under.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-under2.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-under3.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-under5.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-under6.jpg  

See anything odd in this engine bay?-exterior.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Launching!

needs more turbo
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't look too bad to me, how much is he asking?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

$6,500 and pretty firm.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

id buy one that has a blown motor or needs rebuild and the buy a ls1 and do it yourself im sure it would be about the same price but then you can fix stuff when your installing the motor and have about the same amount in it as the one your looking at
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Its got a ton of aftermarket suspension, which is good. I would in no way buy it without driving it. Suspension, engine, and trans is about that amount, so it might be a good buy. Any interior shots?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the comments!

Don't have many pics of the interior to speak of, the rear seat appears to be in good condition but the pic I have will not upload for some reason. He also says the front seats are still good under the covers, I'll check that out as well.

I would love to build an LSx thirdgen some day. I've owned several thirdgens and fourthgens, for my tastes it's the best of both worlds. At this point in my life I have the money and drive to build one but just not the time. This looks to be in my price range and has enough little jobs left to mess with so it'll keep me busy for what limited down time I do have. Just want to check it out reallllly good so I don't buy some halfway project some guy slapped together so he could put it on the road and sell it.

The guy is supposed to drive it an hour to meet me halfway so that should test it's reliablity, and I'm going to put it through the paces on the test drive. I know what a solid 4th gen bolt on LS1 f-body should feel like and this should be stronger due to weight savings.
Attached Thumbnails See anything odd in this engine bay?-100_1741.jpg   See anything odd in this engine bay?-100_1744.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

price seems alright if it runs/drives well and is in good shape.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Car looks to be clean and in pretty good shape, minus it needing a little work to be complete it sounds like a pretty decent deal. I may have overlooked this but is the motor stock? How many miles on the motor/trans also is what I may look at but that usually doesnt matter with these motors that much as long as the maint. has been kept up. Wiring isn't that big of a deal if you know how to read a diagram and have some patience so that I wouldnt worry about really since thats easy to clean up. Not to mention it looks to have some good suspension parts on it already.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Other than the harness looking like a nightmare and the fuel line is a death trap, most of the hard work is already done.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He has that $3 Walmart Fram filter on it. He sure didn't sweat the details.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

first thing i saw was no ac! couldn't tell if the motor had a compressor or not, but the car is gutted. maybe that's something you dont care about, 6.500 and no air is way to much in my opinion. are those third gens worth more in your area? ive got a 92 rs v8 auto that's an 8 out of 10 and cant give it away! i should just send it to you lol! another way i would look at it is that camaro (down here) is worth maybe $500 to $800 at very most so now your paying $6000 for a motor and tranny and some half done install. sure it has some suspension parts but what good on are they on a unibody has that much rust? not trying to rain on your parade but that is way to much IMO. beat him down on the price and good luck!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

slocaddy, if you're close to VA and want to give it away I'll come get it

After thinking it over, I'm going to lowball him and see if I can get him off that price. He says the drivetrain has 57k miles on it so that's a plus. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
first thing i saw was no ac! couldn't tell if the motor had a compressor or not, but the car is gutted. maybe that's something you dont care about, 6.500 and no air is way to much in my opinion. are those third gens worth more in your area? ive got a 92 rs v8 auto that's an 8 out of 10 and cant give it away! i should just send it to you lol! another way i would look at it is that camaro (down here) is worth maybe $500 to $800 at very most so now your paying $6000 for a motor and tranny and some half done install. sure it has some suspension parts but what good on are they on a unibody has that much rust? not trying to rain on your parade but that is way to much IMO. beat him down on the price and good luck!
Send pictures of it to cny93710@centurytel.net and where are you located?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ^^^ Said!

I guess I can't really say too much about the swap but what I can tell you is that car doesn't have too much rust on it compared to whats around here. $6500 IMO is a little steap but there again, the hard wrok may have already been done for you.

I sold a beat and rusted out 87 (as in holes in the floor and body) with a v6 and decent interior for $800 and the purchaser didn't even bat an eye!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

57,000 isn't bad at all lots of smokey burnouts left in that motor! i should clarify my thoughts on the value of the car was a bare roller(as if you were to build yourself.) and yea more power to golf&gm get'em down on that price and you'll be making allot of people jealous! lmcss im in florida.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I think you could do better for that kind of money. You could get a nice 4th gen Z28 for that. But if you want a LS1 3rd gen just keep looking, get one thats complete.

Quick Reply: See anything odd in this engine bay?