Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX swap into a 1964 Chevelle L98 4L70e

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tach problem can likely be fixed by placing a 10k - 0 Ohm, 1/2 watt resistor inline. Do a google search. I had the same problem on my 64 when I put in the shiftworks dash clock to tach conversion, the resistor fixed the problem. Thanks for the nice write up.

I am currently waiting for my oil pan to be welded. Putting a 5.3/4l60e in a 64 chevelle. I cut 2 inches out of the middle of the truck pan and a friend is welding it back together for me. After reading your thread I am concerned about tie rod clearance issues. Was planning on running the truck intake, but if I have to raise the engine for tie rod clearance that may become a problem. Should find out in a few days.

Last edited by neal64ss; 08-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Default Oil Pan

Good luck with the oil pan. Even with the aftermarket pan, I had to put dimples in the sides for the tie rods. I will try to take some pictures tonight so you can see what I ran into. Also, as you saw with the other post, making the truck intake fit is hard. Also, the front belt system might have to be modified. That is one to the reasons to go with the Car intake and Corvette belt system. If you want any of the OEM parts, call SMC. he has got all of them! and the prices are the best I have found. Good luck and post some pictures!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Default Oil Pan

Good luck with the oil pan. Even with the aftermarket pan, I had to put dimples in the sides for the tie rods. I will try to take some pictures tonight so you can see what I ran into. Also, as you saw with the other post, making the truck intake fit is hard. Also, the front belt system might have to be modified. That is one to the reasons to go with the Car intake and Corvette belt system. If you want any of the OEM parts, call SMC. he has got all of them! and the prices are the best I have found.

Thanks for the tip on the resistor. I tried that already - no luck. I need to look at the signals with a scope to see what the difference it. Good luck and post some pictures!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Excellent write up man....very good reading! Great detail and a great build.

Mine is stalled slightly because of a wedding...

But I will hopefully have a tranny soon!

Take care and keep on posting! Let's see some driving clips!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Default Dyno run

As I was looking through some of my paperwork from Hot Rod Pour Tour, I found my dyno worksheet so I thought I would post it for anyone that wants to see what a stock L98 does.

Engine: L98
transmission: 4L70e
Rearend: 3:73
Outside air temp 97 degrees (yes, it was hot!)
Attached Thumbnails LSX swap into a 1964 Chevelle L98 4L70e-scan0004.jpg  

Last edited by sambooka; 09-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sambooka
As I was looking through some of my paperwork from Hot Rod Pour Tour, I found my dyno worksheet so I thought I would post it for anyone that wants to see what a stock L98 does.

Engine: L98
transmission: 4L70e
Rearend: 3:73
Outside air temp 97 degrees (yes, it was hot!)

impressive !
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Nice build... Thanks for taking the time to give us build details and tips...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the build thread, it will be helpful with mine.
Tom
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

SamBokka,
Very detailed! Keep it coming.

thanks,
Jim
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far, so good. Keep the updates coming!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Just wante dot let everyone know that I am still working on the Fuel tank issue. Starvation just like everyone else.

Please see other post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...k-yay-nay.html

Spectra did decide to sent me another tank this week. The bad news is that it is not the new design. See this link for the redesign from Spectra:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ng-baffle.html

I have sent them another e-mail to let them know it is not the new design. Once I hear from them, I will update the thread.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I am working on my 65 chevelle, Where did you fine the Corvette Accessories belt drive conversion and do the Edelbrock headers have the O2 Sensors. Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Default drive system

"I am working on my 65 chevelle, Where did you fine the Corvette Accessories belt drive conversion and do the Edelbrock headers have the O2 Sensors. Thanks"

The Corvette acc drive also came from SMC Performance. they have one o fthe est prices I could find. The edelbrock headers did not have o2 bungs but I welded in . sorry for the late reply
Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

On the tank, I ended up putting an external Walbro 255 but still kept the spectra tank with a tube extension closer to the tank bottom. So far this is working.

Unrelated, I found a top end fuel starvation problem was actually a torque management issue coming from my 4L70E. Still working through this.

I may have to go to a stand alone tranny controller but that leaves the engine without any ISS feedback.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Hello Everyone. It has been a while since I updated the thread. I wanted to let everyone know that I continue to have problems with the fuel pressure (I am not a fan of the specture tanks!). I have some news. I have been talking with a company called Vetteworks (http://www.vetteworksonline.com). They have a very interesting conversion that could be used on the cheap specture tanks. Basically, you tack weld in a new locking ring that allows the use of a bucket-style pump. I have been working with them to see if the 2011 Camaro pump will work. This pump shows promise for guys that have very short tanks. I need a bucket style pump that compresses to about 6 inches - bottom of tank to locking ring. The Camaro's range is 5 3/4 to 6 3/4 inches so it appears to fit. Also, since the camaro has a tank that is split down the middle to get over the drive shaft, the pump has a fuel line nipple that allows a fuel line to be used to draw fuel from the other side of the pump. For my Chevelle, this means that I might be able to run this line to a pickup at the back of the tank to further help the fuel starvation issue under access. This would allow the jet pump to continue pulling fuel to fill the bucket. Once we know more, I will be sure to get this post updated.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Just wanted to give another update on the Chevelle. Vetteworks is sending me a 2010 Camaro fuel pump housing and the mounting rings. Should have those next week. I will post pictures of how the fuel system upgrade goes. Also, just ordered an Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger. This should make the Chevelle gitty-up! I will post pictures of the install soon. Had to get rid of the Corvette Power steering and alternator brackets since I had to relocate the power steering bottle. I got new brackets from Kwik performance (www.kwikperformance.com). These are really nice and only $300 with shipping.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just starting this swap....good reading.

Quick Reply: LSX swap into a 1964 Chevelle L98 4L70e