Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ran into this problem w/th350 sbc converter and LQ9 Flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Spacers are very common. ALmost a required thing with hybred engine and trans swaps.

Tim
this is true
Originally Posted by CL2000
6.0 truck motors with the 6.0 flex plate DO NOT need an adapter. I have put th350 and 400s in like this.
this is not always true. some 6.0s came with a 4l60e

i have seen plenty of mismatch combos where the converter and flywheel tolerance is more than an 1/8th sometimes up to 3/8ths
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Bringing back a thread from the dead, rather than start a new thread, I figure.

I ran into a similar issue last night with my '01 LS1 and TH400 fox swap.
I'm running a TH400 converter and a TCI flywheel kit.
Problem is, I put the adapter that fits into the end of the crank and then hold the converter up against the flex-plate and it has a gap that's probably a 1/4 inch between the foot pads on the converter and the TCI flexplate. WTF??
I called the company that made the converter, and the builder said to take an exact measurement of the gap, minus .125 and he'd machine me spacers to go between the converter foot pads and the flex-plate. But, while that could theoretically work, I can't see why this should be necessary and makes me worry I'm band-aiding it. The kit is supposed to make it a bolt together affair so wtf why am I seeing the gap?

CLIFFS: 01 LS1 camaro 5.7, TH400, TCI flexplate kit and the converter doesn't fit flush with the TCI flexplate.
I wouldn't sweat it, it's just tolerance "stack". 3/16" is ideal, 1/8" is on the tight side. You can run tight like that if you have a quality converter with anti-balloon plates, otherwise you'll risk trashing your engine's thrust bearing...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used washers to make up the difference between the converter and flex plate. Its not uncommon to have to use spacers when mating the two. I had about 1/4" space between the two and used washers to get it down to 1/8". I had to do this several times with th350 and 400 transmissions with zero issues ever. By the way, I'm using the curved flex plate with the center thingy lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm starting to ponder if my converter builder gave me a converter with a longer pilot because I ordered specifically for a LS1/Th400, so in turn that and the TCI spacer is to much?

Quick Reply: Anyone ran into this problem w/th350 sbc converter and LQ9 Flexplate?