Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen mustang: build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@bonecrusher: that thing is gnarley, any info on the build?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE:Bonecrusher definitely pointed me in the 'can o worms' direction w that blue fastback.. Got me overly interested in bodywork (flushed glass, drip rails, bumper), overlooking these couple things...

1) i need to sell my old ****... as such, this was created to help with fundage... Being that im not doing this with any real illusions of grandeur, heres some info for any other potentially heretical 1st gen/ls guys out there:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...t=39639&page=8

2), I got this home :

sitting there, waiting for room for testfitting..

Still undecided on the method of induction (fast ez efi, truck intake, edelbrock), but im thinking a 347 is plenty..

The more i look into it the more im thinking ill go auto on this build; so much for getting the t5 off of principle researching paddleshifters as well as shifter-options (ie not factory/lokar/b&m)

Last edited by Irish350; 01-03-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Subscribing...I'm going to put a modded LFA from a Yukon Hybid in my '68 Mustang Coupe...
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Anything is doable with the right tools. That blue one blew the engine running at the track on the last turn, there is video of it somewhere. Not sure if he redid the LSx or if he pulled it. None the less, look and see that he shaved the shock towers and went with a mustang II setup for better steering.

SWS
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah he did a LOT of awesome metalwork on that thing; most notable to me are the flushed glass, shaved drip rails and bumper..

but after some consideration im thinking i may go mustang II as well, after some practice..

well see
Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

This looks interesting!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE:Well.. Ive had my 5.0/t5 for sale for a bit now, no interest here obviously but some ford guys kinda like it..

Since i havent really been stressed out by finances lately, i decided to not only plunge into my unsuspecting credit, but also to put more pressure on myself to get rid of stuff that would otherwise work perfectly fine!!

I had planned on going with GM heads to keep the budget from getting out of hand on this (compared to my TA which is still actually going up as i type this..). While perusing the classifieds here i came upon a set of brand new 243 castings (ls6 heads, on the streets) that had been worked over by a guy named Chris Frank, at Frankenstein Racing Heads. The seller, a guy named Ben, also grabbed a billet cam thats spec'd for daily driving use, while still taking advantage of the lungs these heads have. Im not gonna say Im even in the top 50% as far as head/cam knowledge goes on these forums, but i was really impressed by these numbers after doing some research.. What didnt need any reading up on, was the PRC springs good to .660", REV valves, and the titanium hardware. They were also milled .03"

Valve Lift / Intake cfm / Exhaust cfm
0.200 144 112
0.300 205 170
0.400 264 203
0.500 294 224
0.550 310 228
0.600 318 233

Nothin too crazy for the cam; I think its a bit more duration and a bit less lift than my old cam, which is in the block (and will be coming out). Supposed to be good for 460whp through a 6 speed.. Im glad its billet after seeing the current cam after 40k

235/240 .595/.595 on a 110LSA

This stuffs not getting anywhere near the shortblock until after its back from the shop.. Its still sitting just like it was when i updated. Once the funds are replenished from this stuff ill be getting it torn down, assessed and rebuild. This is already going totally overboard, the engine used to make 430 whp in my trans am with the AFR 205s it had, and these heads flow better and the car will weigh less...

Now that ive shown some thigh, whos got suggestions as far as a trans/rear end?

Im thinking 4l60e vs TKO600 or something, but for one, i dont know anything about smaller manuals, and two, i cant even decide on manual vs auto, haha.. Since itll be my daily im thinking an auto would be smart, but everythings a compromise.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Damn...you're gonna use this as a daily driver when it'll have 450+ hp? I'm going with auto in mine, because it'll be a cruiser. I doubt it will be as much fun to you with all those torques going to the wheels without you bangin' gears....my vote's manual. T56 perhaps?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE: Im bored!

So i thought id see if anyone had any thoughts on this.. Right now im trying to decide between (amongst other things) intake/control systems..

OPTION ONE:
-Truck intake-
Thinking TBSS intake, factory PCM, injectors, tb, rails, etc. This would mean I could use DBW and a 90mm tb. I think this would be less expensive, and more of a hassle

Pic stolen from carfreak07, id certainly copy him and shave it up (his cool monte)

OPTION TWO:
-Carbie EFI-
I think more power, more money, better looks, and less of a hassle tuning, wiring, etc. would be to run a FAST EZ EFI, along with a carb style Victor Jr/Super Vic.. Going this way means a 'cobra' style Edelbrock filter, which will REALLY make the ford guys "", because itll look a lot like an SBF with coilpacks

It seems like the truck setup would be great under the curve with this setup (especially if portmatched to the heads), but would probably run out of steam before the rest of the engine. The 4150 style intake would certainly allow it to breathe better, and the FAST setup is as inclusive as a full truck-system pull (tb, injectors, computer, rails, etc), its more expensive off the bat but would keep from needing a tune and some of the wiring shtuff..

What would you do?

Last edited by Irish350; 01-08-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I personally appreciate the the control that the factory pcm provides. I like to tell people that if they can imagine it, I can do it with EFI live. This IS a slight exaggeration of course, but is meant to underscore how flexible and powerful the OE pcm is. That being said I have also used several aftermarket systems and found them to be very user friendly. Just my .02.

Jack.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLOWNALKY01
I personally appreciate the the control that the factory pcm provides. I like to tell people that if they can imagine it, I can do it with EFI live. This IS a slight exaggeration of course, but is meant to underscore how flexible and powerful the OE pcm is. That being said I have also used several aftermarket systems and found them to be very user friendly. Just my .02.

Jack.
Definitely worth noting, Jack.

I feel like Ive got the best tuner in the Southwest at my disposal, assuming Ive got to get it tuned. That said, if i can save from having to tune it - say if this FAST software is 'smart' enough, itd be nice.. Unfortunately I havent found a TON of info about this setup yet. I think the key is going to be the cost difference between the two, and whether or not the power/looks is worth it.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE: topend got here today (thanks Ben)

Been thinking about the intake more than anything else, but i did realize that if i wanted, i could make this a 5.0 ls1 (with a 4.8 crank)... kinda cool. probably wont, haha. plenty of time to think about that before the block gets rebuilt
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kind of an update.. been organizing my garage so i have more room/less reason not to work on the car. Went and gathered up all of the Wilwood stuff thats gotten scattered around (its just washers and shims, im sure theyre not important). I also popped off the passenger side Hooker longtube; i spent so much time wrestling w the 5.0 to get this in and it took like 15 minutes to drop it; ah well. Looks neat on the wall!

I also took a minute to dust it off, i felt neglectful. I also did as i do about once a month; popped it opened, took a look at how nice the interior is (even only partially done) and sighed at how bad i need to drive this thing.

Also, i noticed ive been accumulating a decent amount of f-body accessories, so i wanna see if thats an option for accessories on this, or if a GTO setup will give the most room (sure would like to have PS/AC...)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, i can never seem to get the floor jack out of the way for my pics

see sig
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to finally see some pics of the car!
Now no more excuses, and get to work. I want to see what this will look like when it is done.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yeah, please ignore the evolution of the garage around the car.....

Only excuse now is time and money, but i do have some more motivation lately, and after getting my ta back ill have a car thats 1)fun 2)a gas guzzler, so this will be back on.

(also dont bring up the fact that im trying to pass this off as a viable mpg car)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your a busy man these days, your gonna have two nice rides when your done thats for sure
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:Well, ive been slacking trying to reorganize the garage (kinda), preparing to have the TA back (kinda). Another item i brought back from the shop I may reuse is the f body radiator. Im definitely looking for some input here because i know some of you guys have done some interesting stuff when it comes to cooling. These pics just show how different the f body rad looks compared to this ebay rad i have - which is for a 65 with a 5.0 swap. Its much thicker, and looks like a good option if i dont cut up the front. They both look like there will be room for a decently shrouded fan setup, but i dont have that figured out yet completely (i just have a shroud from a fox body). Also took a little "hug" shot at then to compare inlets/outlets.. might help determine the best water pump to go with.

could use either one, or sell both for one thats spec'd both to the car and the engine (wp outlets).. anyone?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
Update:Well, ive been slacking trying to reorganize the garage (kinda), preparing to have the TA back (kinda). Another item i brought back from the shop I may reuse is the f body radiator. Im definitely looking for some input here because i know some of you guys have done some interesting stuff when it comes to cooling. These pics just show how different the f body rad looks compared to this ebay rad i have - which is for a 65 with a 5.0 swap. Its much thicker, and looks like a good option if i dont cut up the front. They both look like there will be room for a decently shrouded fan setup, but i dont have that figured out yet completely (i just have a shroud from a fox body). Also took a little "hug" shot at then to compare inlets/outlets.. might help determine the best water pump to go with.

could use either one, or sell both for one thats spec'd both to the car and the engine (wp outlets).. anyone?
On the Mav (similar to Mustangs), I cut my core support and used a dual-pass from Jeg's that has both inlet and outlet on the PASS side.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen mustang: build thread!-100_0485s.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks russ, what water pump/accessories did you go with?

do the mavs have more strut clearance? (or are they bigger than falcons/stangs?) What accessories did you go with? oil pan?

Quick Reply: 1st gen mustang: build thread!