Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Late to the game on this one unfortunately. I put a L84 5.3 in my 71 Lemans, so a lot of simular stuff. 2 things I noted, first being the shoulder belts. I am a firm believer in them from aviation and made up a set as shown here. They hide better than your setup but require cutting of the interior panel. Top boot can be used. Retractor is mounted on the convertible folding frame as GM did.

Second item was the carb-type throttle body - I wish more would make these as using stock type cold air setups would be a hell of a lot easier - not sure on the MAF or IAT though...

Old 06-07-2024, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
What brand frame? That looks nice. Frames are crazy expensive.
It's from Street Rod Garage, in Alabama. https://www.streetrodgarage.com/frame-chassis
I looked at other options but they are quasi-local and I can go pick it up when it's ready. There are more expensive options, but I've been to their shop a couple times and for the price I'm sure it'll be better than stock.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarebird

Late to the game on this one unfortunately. I put a L84 5.3 in my 71 Lemans, so a lot of simular stuff. 2 things I noted, first being the shoulder belts. I am a firm believer in them from aviation and made up a set as shown here. They hide better than your setup but require cutting of the interior panel. Top boot can be used. Retractor is mounted on the convertible folding frame as GM did.

Second item was the carb-type throttle body - I wish more would make these as using stock type cold air setups would be a hell of a lot easier - not sure on the MAF or IAT though...
Those look pretty good, but I'm not sure I would want them that low personally, might be kind of a spine-crunching angle if hitting something and your body gets pushed forward. It's certainly clean though.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

It is same angle as newer cars, ie my until recently 98 Camaro ragtop did the same thing. No spine crunching.

The "model" here is my 6'-3" stepson.

The only issue is the belt slides out of the seat guide at times. This is what GM had in mind in the day (no guide and 2 belts).

Quick Reply: LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping