Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Great, thanks once again for the reply.........be sure to post some pictures of the black coated headers.......

T,
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really glad to hear the canidate car is represented by StevesNovaSite (SNS). Here is a link for others to follow at SNS. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...=1#post1451464

Also I am really glad that some of the Nova guru's from SNS (TomM, voodooII, 67 Church, Stangs4sale) are represented on the LS1Tech board and want nothing more than to help BRP make thier project the best success it can be for Novas. Saying at SNS is: Nova People Helping Nova People.

For me, I'm the end consumer. If the Nova guy's dub it worthy, I will consider the kit for an upcoming project or two, both of which have CBR front steer racks in the mix.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

milidon makes a chevy 2 62-67 oil pan try that out when you make the kit
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

i have no issues with the gen 1 and its a 7 quart system. drive smart besides i wouldnt drag race with a front sump pan anyway. seems like your askin for it.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

any updates?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

We're waiting onthe frame plates, they should be back next week, but since we're leaving for the LSx shootout on Thursday I might not be able to get back onit until we get back from the LSx shootout.
Jeff
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

We got the engine mounted in the car. This is still in the mock-up stages, but it's working out really well. We clearanced the mount for the GTO dipstick tube, we also placed two bends in the dipstick tube. We are going to include a dipstick with the kit that has the proper bends in it already. The low mount F-Body a/c compressor and alternator clears perfectly. Even the ports on the a/c compressor have great clearance. Right now we are building the different crossmembers for the transmissions, we'll start with the 4L60E and T-56. The pictures were taken with my phone. As soon as I can I post better pics I will, I just wanted to get these up so that you guys can see the progress.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-engine_frame_mount_mock_up_front.jpg   62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-front_with_ac_alt.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Default Question regarding your kit

I'm new to the whole rebuild/restore scene. My son got me into it. I recently purchased a 64 Nova and its in rellay good running condition. My plan is to replace the straight-6 power-train with a LS1 engine and a T-56 tranny. I also want to upgrade the suspension and braking systems. Your adaptations are definite time and money saver but have two questions regarding you kit.

Can I drop in any LSx engine? if not what are my restriction?

After I drop in the LSx beauty what after-market radiator/cooling system upgrades do you recommend for the stock front clip?

Please know that I'm quite green so there may be follow-up questions.

Thank you in advance for your help
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BigBill0711
I'm new to the whole rebuild/restore scene. My son got me into it. I recently purchased a 64 Nova and its in rellay good running condition. My plan is to replace the straight-6 power-train with a LS1 engine and a T-56 tranny. I also want to upgrade the suspension and braking systems. Your adaptations are definite time and money saver but have two questions regarding you kit.

Can I drop in any LSx engine? if not what are my restriction?

After I drop in the LSx beauty what after-market radiator/cooling system upgrades do you recommend for the stock front clip?

Please know that I'm quite green so there may be follow-up questions.

Thank you in advance for your help
You'd be able to use any of the LS based engines, some problems that you might run into would be with the different versions of the T-56 transmission and different intake manifolds. The Cadillac CTS-V series of the T-56 has a completely different tailshaft housing. The tailshaft housing can swapped out by D&D Performance, but it's adds additional costs to your swap. We did a Chevy 2 for Paul Walker a few year ago and I used all Be Cool cooling system components on it. One fo the products we are working on for next year is a new 13" brake kits for the muscle cars, unlike the kits we have available now the new kit will be sold with all new parts instead of adapting the 1998-2002 Camaro brakes.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Today Nick & I finished the prototype 4L60E transmission crossmember. Now that we've verified the fitment of the crossmember the CAD drawings are sent over to be produced. Here's a pic, notice the brackets at both ends that are designed to give as much exhaust clearance as possible without sacrificing strength. Monday we'll start on the T-56 and TR6060.
Attached Thumbnails 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-img_0198.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wtf.suv
can we get a time frame on the nova headers?
got an ls sitting in my 66, waiting for headers but no one seems to want my money :p
I would definitely be in for a set of mid-length if they are going to be available fairly soon..
otherwise ill have to resort to building some, and i would rather not do that!

hurry plz
The car is at Hedman, the mid-lengths will be the first headers built for it. Since we are getting ready to leave for SEMA in Vegas, it'll be after we get back before we get them finished.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
FormerVendor

The mid-legth headers should be mocked-up and ready to build in the next couple weeks, with the long tubes a couple weeks after that. Since SEMA is next week and then PRI is in a few weeks it could delay things, but it shouldn't. After I get back form SEMA I'll try to post update pics to keep everyone up to date on the progress.
Jeff
Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ismdeuce
After the ls headers are completed, perhaps BRP could purchase a set of CBR ls headers and test them on a dyno. The consumer does not care if a header looks "Cool" , but which one has more HORSEPOWER !
Sounds like a neat idea....keep in mind that both headers will not work with both applications. So it will ultimately come down to what type of steering you have or plan to have down the road.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 67 church
Sounds like a neat idea....keep in mind that both headers will not work with both applications. So it will ultimately come down to what type of steering you have or plan to have down the road.
Sounds like a good idea, if you guys want to send us one of your rack systems, we'd be more than willing to fit it with our mock-up car.
Jeff
Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

keep us updated
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Any update on the headers??
Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nova 404
Any update on the headers??
I'm going to be heading over to Hedman today to see what's going on with the headers, but since SEMA, PRI and the Indy show are so close together I don't think much has been done on it.
Jeff
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

The headers are on hold until after PRI, realistically it looks like they won't be done until after the first of the year.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

The first set of headers are mocked-up and Hedman/Husler is starting production on them. The headers in the pictures are 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" long tube headers. I'll verify this, but I think he also said that they are available as a 1 3/4" without the step. Here are a few pictures. As they were being built they installed the spark plugs and stock wires with the heat shield to make sure it clears the headers without burning plug wires. They will be ready to ship right after new years.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-img_0073.jpg   62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-img_0078.jpg   62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)-img_0103.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Launching!

will these fit on a other wise stock car? stock steering box?

Quick Reply: 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)