2 wire truck alternator wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2 wire truck alternator wiring

Ok. Here is what I have.

08 truck 6.0 2 wire alternator.

Brown wire goes to pin 61 and grey is 32.

How do I wire this to work without the EFI.

Thanks
Tim
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...aq-thread.html

It should be the same as the 2001-? diagram

On the plug in the 1st slot (towards drivers side) should be bare, 2nd is what gets the 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor, 3rd should be 12 volt, 4th should be bare
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

No this only has a 2 wire plug on it.

I had my mustang with the 4 wire plug.

Tim
Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have a idea on this alt.

Two total pins

Tim
Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that in 06 the wires went to the GBCM not to the PCM. Not sure if its the same for yours but I didn't think that they went back to PCM control of the alternator after they changed it. Why not run a 1-wire alternator?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

This came with the engine dosnt have 50 miles on it.

Tim
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 AM
8 Second Truck Club

?huh?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know where the wires went other than pin location I only have the harness and this is a carb deal.

Going to call a local alt shop tomorrow and see if they can come up with something to make it work.

Tim
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Teching In

My guess is you have a DR44G alternator where the PCM controls the voltage regulator. You will have to use a AD230 or AD244 alternator that has the 4 pin voltage regulator.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Yea it is a DR44. Funny thing. Just got the car running. And the alt is charging. Battery is 12.6 not running. Start it 13.6. Fans come on 13.6. Add the heater 13.6.

going to see what happens but this thing may work with just the charge wire hooked up.

Tim
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Electrical Power Management (EPM) Overview

The electrical power management (EPM) system is designed to monitor and control the charging system and send diagnostic messages to alert the driver of possible problems with the battery and generator. This EPM system primarily utilizes existing on-board computer capability to maximize the effectiveness of the generator, to manage the load, improve battery state-of-charge and life, and minimize the system's impact on fuel economy. The EPM system performs 3 functions:

• It monitors the battery voltage and estimates the battery condition.
• It takes corrective actions by boosting idle speeds, and adjusting the regulated voltage.
• It performs diagnostics and driver notification.

The battery condition is estimated during ignition-off and during ignition-on. During ignition-off the state-of-charge (SOC) of the battery is determined by measuring the open-circuit voltage. The SOC is a function of the acid concentration and the internal resistance of the battery, and is estimated by reading the battery open circuit voltage when the battery has been at rest for several hours.
The SOC can be used as a diagnostic tool to tell the customer or the dealer the condition of the battery. Throughout ignition-on, the algorithm continuously estimates SOC based on adjusted net amp hours, battery capacity, initial SOC, and temperature.

While running, the battery degree of discharge is primarily determined by a battery current sensor, which is integrated to obtain net amp hours.

In addition, the EPM function is designed to perform regulated voltage control (RVC) to improve battery SOC, battery life, and fuel economy. This is accomplished by using knowledge of the battery SOC and temperature to set the charging voltage to an optimum battery voltage level for recharging without detriment to battery life.
The Charging System Description and Operation is divided into 3 sections. The first section describes the charging system components and their integration into the EPM. The second section describes charging system operation. The third section describes the instrument panel cluster (IPC) operation of the charge indicator, driver information center (DIC) messages, and voltmeter operation.

Charging System Components

Generator
The generator is a serviceable component. If there is a diagnosed failure of the generator it must be replaced as an assembly. The engine drive belt drives the generator. When the rotor is spun it induces an alternating current (AC) into the stator windings. The AC voltage is then sent through a series of diodes for rectification. The rectified voltage has been converted into a direct current (DC) for use by the vehicles electrical system to maintain electrical loads and the battery charge. The voltage regulator integral to the generator controls the output of the generator. It is not serviceable. The voltage regulator controls the amount of current provided to the rotor. If the generator has field control circuit failure, the generator defaults to an output voltage of 13.8 volts.
Body Control Module (BCM)
The body control module (BCM) is a GMLAN device. It communicates with the engine control module (ECM) and the instrument panel cluster (IPC) for electrical power management (EPM) operation. The BCM determines the output of the generator and sends the information to the ECM for control of the generator field control circuit. It monitors the generator field duty cycle signal circuit information sent from the ECM for control of the generator. It monitors a battery current sensor, the battery positive voltage circuit, and estimated battery temperature to determine battery state of charge (SOC). The BCM sends idle boost requests to the ECM.

Battery Current Sensor
The battery current sensor is a serviceable component that is connected to the negative battery cable at the battery. The battery current sensor is a 3-wire hall effect current sensor. The battery current sensor monitors the battery current. It directly inputs to the BCM. It creates a 5 volt pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-95 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 95-100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.

Engine Control Module (ECM)
The ECM directly controls the generator field control circuit input to the generator. The ECM receives control decisions based on messages from the BCM. It monitors the generators generator field duty cycle signal circuit and sends the information to the BCM.

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
The IPC provides a means of customer notification in case of a failure and a voltmeter. There are 2 means of notification, a charge indicator and the driver information center (DIC) SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM message.

Charging System Operation

The purpose of the charging system is to maintain the battery charge and vehicle loads. There are 6 modes of operation and they include:
• Battery Sulfation Mode
• Charge Mode
• Fuel Economy Mode
• Headlamp Mode
• Start Up Mode
• Voltage Reduction Mode

The engine control module (ECM) controls the generator through the generator turn on signal. It monitors the generator performance though the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. The signal is a 5 volt pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-95 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 95-100 percent are for diagnostic purposes. The following table shows the commanded duty cycle and output voltage of the generator:

Commanded Duty Cycle Generator Output Voltage
10% 11 V
20% 11.56 V
30% 12.12 V
40% 12.68 V
50% 13.25 V
60% 13.81 V
70% 14.37 V
80% 14.94 V
90% 15.5 V

The generator provides a feedback signal of the generator voltage output through the generator field duty cycle signal circuit to the ECM. This information is sent to the body control module (BCM). The signal is a 5 volt PWM signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-99 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.

The alternator will work, but not to the full capacity that it should...hope this helps ya.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Cool thanks.

I am going to give it a run as is and see how it works.

If it will not I need to get a new one so I am not out anything.

So far it looks like it is going to work. Got about 25 min of run time on it with the fans and heat on.

Tim
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jergren
Electrical Power Management (EPM) Overview

The electrical power management (EPM) system is designed to monitor and control the charging system and send diagnostic messages to alert the driver of possible problems with the battery and generator. This EPM system primarily utilizes existing on-board computer capability to maximize the effectiveness of the generator, to manage the load, improve battery state-of-charge and life, and minimize the system's impact on fuel economy. The EPM system performs 3 functions:

• It monitors the battery voltage and estimates the battery condition.
• It takes corrective actions by boosting idle speeds, and adjusting the regulated voltage.
• It performs diagnostics and driver notification.

The battery condition is estimated during ignition-off and during ignition-on. During ignition-off the state-of-charge (SOC) of the battery is determined by measuring the open-circuit voltage. The SOC is a function of the acid concentration and the internal resistance of the battery, and is estimated by reading the battery open circuit voltage when the battery has been at rest for several hours.
The SOC can be used as a diagnostic tool to tell the customer or the dealer the condition of the battery. Throughout ignition-on, the algorithm continuously estimates SOC based on adjusted net amp hours, battery capacity, initial SOC, and temperature.

While running, the battery degree of discharge is primarily determined by a battery current sensor, which is integrated to obtain net amp hours.

In addition, the EPM function is designed to perform regulated voltage control (RVC) to improve battery SOC, battery life, and fuel economy. This is accomplished by using knowledge of the battery SOC and temperature to set the charging voltage to an optimum battery voltage level for recharging without detriment to battery life.
The Charging System Description and Operation is divided into 3 sections. The first section describes the charging system components and their integration into the EPM. The second section describes charging system operation. The third section describes the instrument panel cluster (IPC) operation of the charge indicator, driver information center (DIC) messages, and voltmeter operation.

Charging System Components

Generator
The generator is a serviceable component. If there is a diagnosed failure of the generator it must be replaced as an assembly. The engine drive belt drives the generator. When the rotor is spun it induces an alternating current (AC) into the stator windings. The AC voltage is then sent through a series of diodes for rectification. The rectified voltage has been converted into a direct current (DC) for use by the vehicles electrical system to maintain electrical loads and the battery charge. The voltage regulator integral to the generator controls the output of the generator. It is not serviceable. The voltage regulator controls the amount of current provided to the rotor. If the generator has field control circuit failure, the generator defaults to an output voltage of 13.8 volts.
Body Control Module (BCM)
The body control module (BCM) is a GMLAN device. It communicates with the engine control module (ECM) and the instrument panel cluster (IPC) for electrical power management (EPM) operation. The BCM determines the output of the generator and sends the information to the ECM for control of the generator field control circuit. It monitors the generator field duty cycle signal circuit information sent from the ECM for control of the generator. It monitors a battery current sensor, the battery positive voltage circuit, and estimated battery temperature to determine battery state of charge (SOC). The BCM sends idle boost requests to the ECM.

Battery Current Sensor
The battery current sensor is a serviceable component that is connected to the negative battery cable at the battery. The battery current sensor is a 3-wire hall effect current sensor. The battery current sensor monitors the battery current. It directly inputs to the BCM. It creates a 5 volt pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-95 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 95-100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.

Engine Control Module (ECM)
The ECM directly controls the generator field control circuit input to the generator. The ECM receives control decisions based on messages from the BCM. It monitors the generators generator field duty cycle signal circuit and sends the information to the BCM.

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
The IPC provides a means of customer notification in case of a failure and a voltmeter. There are 2 means of notification, a charge indicator and the driver information center (DIC) SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM message.

Charging System Operation

The purpose of the charging system is to maintain the battery charge and vehicle loads. There are 6 modes of operation and they include:
• Battery Sulfation Mode
• Charge Mode
• Fuel Economy Mode
• Headlamp Mode
• Start Up Mode
• Voltage Reduction Mode

The engine control module (ECM) controls the generator through the generator turn on signal. It monitors the generator performance though the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. The signal is a 5 volt pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-95 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 95-100 percent are for diagnostic purposes. The following table shows the commanded duty cycle and output voltage of the generator:

Commanded Duty Cycle Generator Output Voltage
10% 11 V
20% 11.56 V
30% 12.12 V
40% 12.68 V
50% 13.25 V
60% 13.81 V
70% 14.37 V
80% 14.94 V
90% 15.5 V

The generator provides a feedback signal of the generator voltage output through the generator field duty cycle signal circuit to the ECM. This information is sent to the body control module (BCM). The signal is a 5 volt PWM signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-99 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.

The alternator will work, but not to the full capacity that it should...hope this helps ya.
Just out of Curiousity, Where did you get that information from? Any idea what range of Vehicles it covers? I've picked up a DR44 alternator in hopes that it can provide me a cheap alternative to the Very expensive 05-06 Pontiac GTO alternator's... The connector on both of the alternators is the same. I'm planning on using the BCM and PcM from the same car (06 GTO)

Steve
Old 01-31-2011, 12:47 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Why not ditch all that crap and put a one wire alternator on there and by done with ?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a whole 06 GTO for my LS2 swap, I'm planning on using the GTO's wiring harness, PCM, BCM, and Maybe even the cluster so I have the DIC available. I already have the GTO's alternator and it works, but it's got a bunch of broken fins on it. Not to mention that both the GTO and the DR44 alternators are 160amp units. I'd like to use some of this stuff the way it was intended. I bought the DR44 alternator on E-bay for $65 shipped to my house. It's not any more expensive than a 1 wire alternator, and hopefully It'll just drop right in.

Steve
Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Talked with a locat alt guy today and he said the dr44 will work the default voltage is 13.8 like I have seen.

It is now just a 1 wire hook up. For a daily driver it will be fine as long as the battery is not run down and trying to recharge the battery.

If I have issues I will address them then for right now I am going to run with this deal.

Tim
Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question Thread revival...

Have the 05 alt on the 6.0 in my 55. Am seeing low charge levels on the EFILIVE scans. [12.6-12.9] Nothing but fans, engine running.

I took the alt to the tester. It ran at 15.5V, just what I expected as the tester modulated 5V is at 99%.
The PCM is stock, but there is no BCM, as mentioned in the writeup above.

I called the harness builder, [a WELL KNOWN co.]. He told me that the BCM is not needed, and if the wiring is as it's supposed to be, [2 wires in the plug.], then the PCM is bad...

NEEDED: A method to accurately test the 05V PWM output...[Short of a scope], does the TECH 11 have such ability? [I fnd nothing I can use w/ EFILIVE].
Also, if that's not verified as to be working, is there another alt that will mount up, and be controlled by the resistor set up??
Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Geezer, when you say BCM are you referring to the Battery Control MOdule found on some 05's or the Body Control Module?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Red face Sorry..

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Geezer, when you say BCM are you referring to the Battery Control MOdule found on some 05's or the Body Control Module?

Jon
PSI
I should have been more specific. Actually, I saw it referred to as Body Control Module in the post by Jergen, further up in the thread.
"Body Control Module (BCM)
The body control module (BCM) is a GMLAN device. It communicates with the engine control module (ECM) and the instrument panel cluster (IPC) for electrical power management (EPM) operation. The BCM determines the output of the generator and sends the information to the ECM for control of the generator field control circuit. It monitors the generator field duty cycle signal circuit information sent from the ECM for control of the generator. It monitors a battery current sensor, the battery positive voltage circuit, and estimated battery temperature to determine battery state of charge (SOC). The BCM sends idle boost requests to the ECM."

AIRC, I did see a reference to a "battery current sensor" on the neg cable.

It may have been on the old harness, but that was sold when I got the engine. Since I have no BCM, that part would be useless, anyway.
I have checked the plug @ the alt. Gray and brown wires are in correct position.
I have also confirmed that they are in the correct position @ the PCM. [gy @ C2/75, and br @ C2/15.
The only other wire that's on my drwg is a d/gr @ C1/58. It is in place and goes to??
[It shows as going to DLC schematics, re-appearing as a gray wire to the dash cluster.] Since I don't have a schematic of the harness, I have no answer as to it's purpose.

Anyway, thanks for the post! If you have a solution, please advise...

Last edited by Old Geezer; 11-18-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Gray86Hatch are you still running this alternator without the 2 signal wires connected? If so, have you had any charging or battery issues?

Quick Reply: 2 wire truck alternator wiring