Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XJ8 / LS2 4L65-E

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Your crate motor looks more like a LS1 then a LS2.
These are the 6 litre use in the last VZ Holden, they are extra stock, that pic mite be and LS1. The VZ's had a Drive by wire throttle body. There are some new LS3 here for sale that where pulled out of brand new HSV's when the built the W427. They put the LS7 engine in the HSV. The create motors are around the 5 to 6 grand mark in price.

Note our LS2's have a front sump for the Commodore VZ model. The VE(G8) model has a rear sump.

Last edited by Thomo5150; 09-27-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Here's some pic's of what is avaliable in Australia at the moment in the way of a used XJ8. This one has low mileage and is around the $17,000 mark.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet I am that guy from the USA that is putting the 4L80E in his S3 XJ6. Here's my website:

http://www.buyrcars.com/jag.htm

I believe Andrew at Jaguar Specialties is working on a kit for your generation chassis. I am not sure that he's gone to market with it yet, but I am pretty sure he is driving his prototype. It would be worth reaching out to him - he's a good guy. He might be able to keep you from reinventing the wheel.

Originally Posted by Thomo5150
Cheers, I've seen his site he is doing the earlier models there is a big difference between the XJ40 and the XJ8. The XJ40 was a dog of a car with the very poor electronics. Personally I would do a series 3 over any XJ40.

I will ask him about the XJ8.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

I don't see this being a hard conversion. There is a difference with the LHD / RHD cars. Before I start a swap the first thing I do is measure where the old motor sat. What was the angle on the rear drive shaft? Was the motor offset?(most are). I measure the centre line of the crank off the old motor, to where it is in the engine bay. Clearance of the engine to firewall etc.... Doing this can turn a conversion from a good one to an excellent one. I always ask did the guy making the kit do the same???

Most people can do a V8 swap but do the know what the problem is if the drive at say 60mph and feel a bad vibration???

Compare the pic's to your Series 3 swap, its a totally different chassis platform. I believe the XJ8 / LS swap will be easier. Time will tell
Dave am I reading your web page right? This converion has been going for 6 years?? Wow not being a smart **** why so long????

Last edited by Thomo5150; 09-27-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok been searching for wiring diagrams for the XJ8 to see what controls the cruise control mileage computer etc. I came across this pic. A bare XJ8 Chassis, now remove the engine and a lot of plastic covers and you end up with this.

I CALL THIS THE MONEY SHOT!!!!

Dave's Series 3 engine bay (sorry dave for stealing a pic from your page)

XJ8's front crossmember

Does anyone now say an LS engine will not fit this engine bay????

Last edited by Thomo5150; 09-27-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Have you contacted Jaguars That Run? I don't know anything about them other than they have been putting chevy motors in Jags for years.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Now I have to work out if the Denso EFI and the Bosch transmission computer can be unplugged from the XR8 and still keep the CAN system working. We need to see what signals and sensors must be retained for the rest of the factory systems to work.

Wiring schematic..

C:\Users\Tim\Documents\XJ8%20Series%201998%20Elec% 20Guide.pdf
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Have you contacted Jaguars That Run? I don't know anything about them other than they have been putting chevy motors in Jags for years.

They do early and 80's Jags not the XJ8 models. I haven't seen them do LS motors only LT1 and 350TPI
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, it's been 6 years. I live and work about 200 miles away from the shop where the car is kept, and I only get back to work on it on the weekends about once a month.

I am 99% sure this conversion has been done before - you can probably buy the kit. The guy who designs them is pretty sharp. He also has an LS1/XJ40 kit that he designed from the ground up a couple years ago. I was talking to him about a month ago, and he said the most interested part of the XJ8 swap was the integration of the LS1 PCM to the XJ8 PCM. I believe he used both. With that being said, I would bet that trans/rear end angle was not overlooked! I have never heard any complaints regarding the kits he sells... only very good things.

Keep us posted - this is going to be a cool swap!

I don't see this being a hard conversion. There is a difference with the LHD / RHD cars. Before I start a swap the first thing I do is measure where the old motor sat. What was the angle on the rear drive shaft? Was the motor offset?(most are). I measure the centre line of the crank off the old motor, to where it is in the engine bay. Clearance of the engine to firewall etc.... Doing this can turn a conversion from a good one to an excellent one. I always ask did the guy making the kit do the same???

Most people can do a V8 swap but do the know what the problem is if the drive at say 60mph and feel a bad vibration???

Compare the pic's to your Series 3 swap, its a totally different chassis platform. I believe the XJ8 / LS swap will be easier. Time will tell
Dave am I reading your web page right? This converion has been going for 6 years?? Wow not being a smart **** why so long????
Old 09-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Quick search and yes they did, so a 4L65-E trans will fit in the tunnel. The supercharged box below.

Thats a 4L80e with a Jaguar bellhousing, not a 4L65.
Some photos and info of the GM/Jag 4l80e on my page:
http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e.html

regards,
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Cheers I have emailed Andrew and he says there will be a kit soon. Will be interesting to see if he has piggy backed the LS loom into the Jags to keep the CAN system talking to all of the Jags computers etc.....
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eliotmansfield
Thats a 4L80e with a Jaguar bellhousing, not a 4L65.
Some photos and info of the GM/Jag 4l80e on my page:
http://www.mez.co.uk/4l80e.html

regards,
Yes I read that it was the 4L80, thats why I said it was a 4L??? box. Its bigger than the 4L65-E so the trans I will use will fit the tunnel. Put the hole quote in please and read carefully. The point I am making is the tunnel size and that the box I will use will fit with no issues.

I read your conversion, my transmission guy did the same swap using the 4L80E to a Commodore ute sitting on a Range Rover Chassis. He had a 385hp Chev HO motor with Edelbrock injection. He used and aftermarket trans controller. When Bill Lee in Perth dynoed and tuned the car he replaced the Edelbrock EFI computer and the trans controller for a factory Delco computer to control the lot. This was in 1996, funny the guys in the USA at a trade show said you can't unlock the factory Computer. When we told them we have and done 2x H2 Hummers locking there transmissions on only operated 1st and 2nd gear all via reprograming. This was needed for Underground mining, they couldn't believe it. Worse was when the we showed them there factory computer was fitted a Ducati Vee Twin engine. Impressed they gave us a Tech II for free.

Last edited by Thomo5150; 09-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Update, yes there is a XJ8 up and running, its Andrew's conversion. The CAN system is not sorted yet but the car drive and runs. He says the LS swap is very easy but the Jaguar CAN interface is encrypted so they are now working on solving this problem. I'll put my Auto electrician on it as well and see if they can sort the Jag systems out. These means a nice alternative for a luxury crusier with power will be avaliable.

Basically with the swap all the dash works the ABS works and cruise control, air con etc.... I think from what Andrew say's, the traction control hasn't been sorted yet but they are still trying to get these to work.

Last edited by Thomo5150; 09-28-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Up date from Andrew, they are working on the CAN system, it won't be to long to get this on the market. The LS fits the JAG so well, Big Block anyone??? I was looking at a XJ8 this weekend when the seller offered me a a SLK 230 Mercedes. One look under the engine bay told me a LS will fit, since the had a V8 MB engine in it. Now 4 door luxo cruiser or 3 door convertiable sports car????

Lets add the XJ8 to the LS swap list..................

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How similar is an XJ8 to an XK8?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Thomo5150;
The XJ40 was a dog of a car with the very poor electronics. Personally I would do a series 3 over any XJ40.
Me too! I did an LT1 XJ40 when Andrew was in the beginning stages of doing XJ40 cars about 6 years ago. I wanted to do an LSx, but funds didn't allow (not as many swap parts back then), and I already knew the LT1 pretty well. Doing it over, I would definitely look into a newer 3 series and an LSx. I'm still thinking about it, and dead early 2000 3 series Jags are easy to come by, as they have the timing chain/guide issue that grenades most of them at or before 100k if they're not fixed properly.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Post up some pics of your LT1 car!

Also, where do you go about finding 2000 3 Series cars - are they Canadian models or something?

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
Me too! I did an LT1 XJ40 when Andrew was in the beginning stages of doing XJ40 cars about 6 years ago. I wanted to do an LSx, but funds didn't allow (not as many swap parts back then), and I already knew the LT1 pretty well. Doing it over, I would definitely look into a newer 3 series and an LSx. I'm still thinking about it, and dead early 2000 3 series Jags are easy to come by, as they have the timing chain/guide issue that grenades most of them at or before 100k if they're not fixed properly.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default XJ8 Chevy LS1 V8 Conversion

Guys

I posted some bigger pics of our XJ8 conversion in the hybrid section for you to check out. Have a look:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

The car runs and drives beautifully- good balance and great power. We're just finishing up little details now.

Nearly everything we learned on this swap could also be used on an XK8 coupe or convertible, and that's the next project for us....

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Looks better than the AJ27 engine Andrew, still hunting for a XJ8 now.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM

hey thomo5150,

did you ever get the ls1 engine and 4L65 transmission into the xj8 ? i'm considering doing one of these myself and wouldn't mind talking to someone down under that has done it and what the issues/pitfalls were. i'm looking at a $10K xj8 and a body damaged $2K wh statesman with 150k on the clock and the kit from andrew to stitch it all together, but want to understand some of the finer details on the swap.

cheers

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ8 / LS2 4L65-E