Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-pump filter for LSx engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pre-pump filter for LSx engines

Short version: I'm trying to find the right pre-pump filter for my LQ4 engine. My preference is a cleanable canister style.

Expanded info:
My current setup is tank to 40 micro pre-filter of this style(about 13" total distance):

From this filter, it goes to a e8248 fuel pump(about 6" away). From the pump, it goes to a corvette regulator/filter(about 4" away).

My issue is the semi-freshly cleaned and re-coated fuel tank has a bunch of crap in it. The prefilter I'm using is doing its job and catching the crap but obviously, once it is clogged, the engine goes gutless(can't go past about 2500rpm)

It sucks cleaning it because I end up with gas to my elbows when I have to pull it.

I was hoping to find this style of filter with a cleanable element(non-paper):

My searches have turned up that I should look for a 100 micron filter for a prefilter.

Replacing the tank is not a real practical option at this time. Almost 40 year old vehicle(1971 Toyota FJ55) so there are no new replacements. And custom tank is close to $800.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest installing a ball style valve before (and possibly after) the filter. That way, only the fuel in the filter makes a mess. that's my .02
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Summit has 3 pages of inline 100 micron filters with stainless steel mesh elements. I guess you probably already know that since you linked to their site

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

I assume this is an in tank pump and that is why the filter is so tough to get to?

You really need to drop the tank and turn it upside down to clean it out. I tried what you are doing and it cost me a fuel pump when some debris got past the prefilter. Hose it out with water if need be, then run a gallon of alcohol through it to dry it out.

By the way, be careful buying that second filter you pictured. the summit and jegs versions are notorious for leaking. I am running one like that just before my carb, but it is a Fram 10 micron unit.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dirty tank will haunt you until you fix the tank. It's probably not just going to work itself out.

I've been down that road before

Quick Reply: Pre-pump filter for LSx engines