Sponsored by:

Standalone Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
you couldnt just set it to 4cyl mode?
I don't remember how to change my tach to 4cyl mode. Changing the output of the PCM was easier.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its my understanding that you will need the oil level input for the engine to run, the computer uses the info so it doesnt shut itself down.

The oil pressure sensor wire (tan) is a different story, this is only used for the gauge reading and does not go into the pcm. My harness is a '00 as well and this wire went from the sender into the cabin and connected to the bcm which then sends the signal out to the gauge.

May wanna recheck that..or someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The oil level sensor goes to the dummy light, nothing more. Your engine will give no complains to starting regardless of oil amount. The after effects may not be so nice though

The oil pressure sender is one of the last direct to gauge pieces you have, also has nothing to do with engine function
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

I read...probably on here somewhere...that the pcm has a shutdown function in high lateral G situations where it will shut the engine down when it sees no oil pressure for an extended interval. Whether or not it's true...I dont know. But I was surprised to see the oil pressure signal wire go to the BCM rather than the PCM whereas the oil level wiring does go to the PCM (C1 pin 70).

If the oil pressure wire only goes to the BCM to send info to the pressure gauge, why wouldnt the oil level wiring go to the BCM as well if all it's there for is to illuminate the low oil light on the IP?

Im in the middle of a swap myself, so this is the way I understand it from what I've read about. If theres better info, I, as well as the guy who started this thread, would appreciate hearing it.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Dont just repeat what you hear/read. It's not always true

Unplug the connectors and see if the car runs. I dont have it on my swap and many aftermarket pans dont even have the level sensor provision. I really dont know of any swaps that use it or went through the trouble of wiring in the BCM at all
Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pocket
Dont just repeat what you hear/read. It's not always true
Well thats what 80% or more of this board is made of....(did someone order a fortune cookie?)....the idea that the computer would shut the engine down if the pressure or level remained low seemed to me like a reasonable thing to program in. It was my assumption that what I had read in the past was correct, obviously its not. And at the end of my replies, I asked for correction. So, thank you.

I'm not using a BCM either, but I am tracing out the engine wiring thats not being used. When I found the oil pressure wire didnt go to the pcm I was surprised...and this is the reason. However, I didnt know the oil level sensor was the same light-only function since that does go to the PCM.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The engine will run without the vss but you may have problems with it trying to die when coming to a quick stop. Some people have had this problem because the pcm doesn't realize that the car is still rolling. It just knows you suddenly closed the throttle and occasionally the motor will die.
Originally Posted by TomM
Don't need the VSS for the application you mention, using straight mechanical speedo etc....

If your alternator is working now, you don't need to change a thing, the red is the exciter wire, but sounds like the one in your body/engine harness works, so leave it.

As for the fan, yes run the #1 fan relay control wire to the relay. It is a switched negative wire from the PCM. You will need to set your on and off temp. in the tune file.

Tach signal should be generated from crank pos. sensor thru PCM so your Autometer tach should work fine.

If you never plan to use a 60E again, check to see if the following wires have been removed.

Red - 2,6,8,42,45,47,48,51,63

Blue - 17,18,33,34,53.

The pinouts you posted look like A4, not M6, as I don't see CAGS solenoid etc......

This should get you started, maybe Pocket will chime in and help fill the holes, I'm sure I missed something.....

T,
Originally Posted by thirdgen60
I dont need the vss because i have a mechanical speedo so i would actually have to go pretty far out of my way to use it. I was just wondering if the computer needs to know that info to control the engine for any reason or can it just be shut off like all the other stuff that doesn't get used.

As for the alternator wire, it is red on my harness (pin 15 "alternator L Terminal"), i figured that would just be the exciter wire? Shouldn't the pcm already know the voltage from the orange and pink power wires run to it?
I'm just asking because my alternator is already wired into my car and i would rather not change it if i don't need to.

To specify on the fan question, my fan is already wired into my car just through a relay and ignition power. My question is can i run the fan#1 relay wire to the relay so the fan is temperature controlled instead of just being on all the time?

To help put all of this in context, my car currently has a 6.0L with L92 heads and a carburator on it and i am in the process of putting fuel injection on it. Since it has already been running with the carb for quite awhile everything like the alternator, fan, speedo, starter, etc. is just wired to the car. So this harness willl solely run the fuel and spark so anything that doesn't relate to that is being removed.

Thanks for the info thus far
Originally Posted by Rafko
mite wanna keep the vss...you dont have to but it couldn't hurt to leave it...most guys use it......
u need the alterator wiring coming from the pcm...tells the computer voltage etc...think it is brown?
For the obd2 port i always wire the grounds together....dosent need two different grounds just some scanners are different...
you are dead nuts on with the mil indicator light function

not sure on the tach but i will get back to you on it...

Not fully understanding the fan question?...i used a realy to control two fans and tapped it into my ignition wire cause i had a truck pcm which used a fan clutch....

Engine will Run with no VSS. But as said might have issues with it dying. I have a pulse Generator from dakota digital. It doesn't even have to be right just see a speed ...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DAK-SEN-01-4160/

Mines like that but no pass through as I have an electric Speedo.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM
9 Second Club

ok well that might be an easy fix if i have problems with it dying. Does anybody know why it would have problems with dying?

Also why does the computer need to control the alternator again?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

if i remember correctly it controls the alternator by varying the output of the alternator depending on the demand the electrical system needs (not sure if its pwm or just gets sent a varying voltage factor)

it needs a vss to see speed because if you just cut the fuel off back to a normal idle, the resistance by the transmission may cause it to stall. with the vss in place, it kicks the iac motor open a lil so it maintains a higher rpm longer, thats why when your coasting you always hear the engine a lil louder. IIRC
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

Ohh ok. It all makes sense now. Everyone just kept giving me answers but no reasons why. So if i just get one of those pulse generators from summit the pcm will be happy with just any signal as was said before correct? And from the look of it can that pulse generator go on the transmission or on the back of the speedo?

Quick Reply: Standalone Wiring help