Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette LS1 into an LT1 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Corvette LS1 into an LT1 Trans Am?

I've seen several nearby Corvette LS1 (one from a 1999, another from a 2001) for sale nearby for about $2000 or $3000, or even less in some cases. I was wondering how much work and money would it take to swap it into my 1994 Trans Am? It currently has an LT1 with a T56 6 speed. So, what parts would be required, and about how much could it all cost? Would it be even worth it? And would there be many benefits to swapping in a Corvette LS1 as opposed to a Camaro LS1? Well, thanks.

I know many people will say, just get an LS! Trans Am instead, but considering I paid $3000 for my LT1, and pay $2000 for an LS1 engine. I can still spend $1000 on the swap and end up with a vehicle I know and is more unique.

Here are some of them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...item3f045aca2c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...item20b4d65d78

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Ch...item53e47e07f0
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Would it be more cost effective or beneficial to just rebuild my LT1 with a 383 stroker kit?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

A better option might be an iron 6.0 with F-body accessories and oil pan, since the truck motors run ~$1000 complete with low miles and will make more power than an LS1.

Since you have a T56 car, you'll also need an LS1 T56 or a bunch of parts to make your LT1 unit work, and none of that is cheap.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

But don't those Vortec 6.0's from the trucks have a way different powerband, for towing and such, which would require heads, cam, and tune to make more aggressive? At least that's how it is when replacing a Modular 4.6L with a Triton 5.4L in the Ford world.

Also, doesn't the LS1 make more power stock than an LQ4 which would be the most affordable Vortec 6.0L V8 option.

Basically, what I'm looking for is something that can make a good daily driver and weekend warrior and will respond well to future mods, be it boost or nitrous or whatever. I figured the Corvette LS1 would make a better daily driver than a stroker or even a Vortec 6.0L.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Just search a bit man, there's a ton of info..

Right off the top of my head you need the 98+Ls front cradle, harness for the engine and ecm, an LSx... SO there's plenty of time to search :lol Think about the money you can get out of your lt1 6 spd combo with the harness and ecm. Should pay for a nice chunk of parts since you have 2 vehicles.

You're just doing a complicated bolt in swap. Easiest by far would be to get a whole F-body Ls cradle with the engine/trans/harness already there... I would go 6.0 for the cost alone so look it up and start tearin the bird down
Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are best to find an F-body pullout assembly. The corvette engine has a different oilpan and all the belt driven accessories would not work in your car either. As said above because you have a T56 you would also need to change the transmission. You can find the details on my swap in the link in my sig.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, thanks for the tips and info. I'll start looking into it as something to do in the future. That's why I started this thread, still not considering doing it yet. I want to try and get a bit more power out of this LT1 before I invest the big bucks to do a swap. For now I'll probably do an LT4 Hotcam and Port and Polished Heads with a programmed ECM. But I'm definitely considering doing it later on. Thanks again guys.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flame
You are best to find an F-body pullout assembly. The corvette engine has a different oilpan and all the belt driven accessories would not work in your car either. As said above because you have a T56 you would also need to change the transmission. You can find the details on my swap in the link in my sig.

Would you have an idea of the cost to pay a shop to swap a turnkey LS6 crate engine with harness and ecm, into a 1997 Trans Am WS6 with T56 transmission? My LT1 motor has faced a series of unfortunate break downs that have lead to a dangerously low oil pressure level at idle operating temperature. I would like to put an LS motor in--preferably the LS6, but I haven't the faintest idea of what I am going to get myself into money wise. I can't do the swap myself, I lack the knowledge and the equipment, and I am going to college so I would like to salvage my Trans Am with a brand new motor. I suppose my T56 needs to be changed as well for the LS6? How much would I be looking at? Maybe I can seek out a used--low mileage--LS1/LS6--out of a Trans Am to bring down the expenses? I would probably get the LS1 k-member from BMR as my bird's frame and sway bars are BMR street performance.

Quick Reply: Corvette LS1 into an LT1 Trans Am?