Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Olds 442 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum needs a leg/tire humping emoticon just for build like this one and some of the turbo builds. SHEESH your skills flat amaze me, and I am not just saying that cus of the help you've given on my build.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I just thought I would give an update. Been driving the Olds as a daily driver all summer, the Classic Auto Air worked great even when it was 105 degrees. Every time I calculated the milage since the new trans install I came up with 24-26 mpg city/hiway driving. That seem kind of unrealistic for a heavy car and non-OD trans, then it occured to me....the speedo is reading high about 10% (The new speedometer drive gear was no longer available in the same tooth count)....doh. Anyway 22 mpg is not too bad, the car is fun to drive, no problems since ironing out the initial glitches.
Cant think of anything I would change on it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets see a finished engine view of how you have it. I sure wanted to get mine done and drive it some this summer. It's funny how other things and money gets in the way.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Dont I have any pics of it done? OK, here ya go. Well, this is when it was almost done. I see an O2 sensor wire hanging and I cleaned things up a little since then.

Originally Posted by CutLS
Lets see a finished engine view of how you have it. I sure wanted to get mine done and drive it some this summer. It's funny how other things and money gets in the way.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I can't imagine a better outcome. 8mpg with a 455. 13-15mpg with a 350. 22mpg with a LS motor and the old school non-OD 4-speed. I love it. Makes me very giddy about using an overdrive manual in a similar weight car.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

A couple other things, it's just fun and comfortable to drive, reliable too.
True story......The previous owner stopped by to see the LS motor. When he had it, it had a built 455 with 3.91 rear (8pmg, and never drove it out of the neighborhood). Since I only change the oil and check fluids a couple times a year, I couldn't find the hood release under the front end. It's like driving a new car. I'm looking to add aftermarket tire pressure sensors to make it really idiotproof.

Originally Posted by occupant
I can't imagine a better outcome. 8mpg with a 455. 13-15mpg with a 350. 22mpg with a LS motor and the old school non-OD 4-speed. I love it. Makes me very giddy about using an overdrive manual in a similar weight car.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Teching In

great job on this. i will be doing a 71 build similr to this. makes me happy to see stuff like this
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Gary, how did you wire your winstar fans? Did you wire them separately and add a resistor so they run at different speeds?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

There are a few options. You can wire 2 speed operation with the 3 relays like f body.
I chose to wire one fan off the standard ecu temp setpoint. My ecu had a seperate fan control that had a higher setpoint that I could have used, but I dont have tuning software and wanted to be able to control it. So I used a variable thermostat I got from Haywire to control the second fan. That has a higher temp setpoint than the first fan. In addition, it is also controlled by the AC trinary switch, so it goes on when AC refridgerant pressure is high. Works great, even in 100 degree weather last summer.

Originally Posted by CutLS
Hey Gary, how did you wire your winstar fans? Did you wire them separately and add a resistor so they run at different speeds?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Been putting A LOT of miles on the Olds this summer. It's just plain fun to drive. Although in my old age, I think I'm getting lazy. Possible winter projects.
1) Convert to electric windows. Anyone done this with an aftermarket universal kit? Thinking original Olds parts would cost more.
2) Remote electric door locks. Pretty easy add on.
3) Convert the E brake to a center console hand operated brake lever. This is the first car I've had with a pedal E brake. With a manual trans, I use it all the time. I never thought the pedal would bother me, but I hate it. If I can find a lever that will fit behind the shifter and doesn't cut into the console storage space, it's a done deal.
4) Tire pressure sensors. Anyone put an aftermarket setup in a car?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't put aftermarket windows in, but putting stockers in is easy. I found a guy with a set 20 years ago and haven't looked back. But my rears are sometimes slower to go up, even we new white lithium grease applied.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
But my rears are sometimes slower to go up, even we new white lithium grease applied.
I'm definitely not an electrical wiz, but I bet there is a way to wire a relay in to the rear wiper motors (maybe one per side) so that they get more power directly to the motor. I know a lot of people upgrade their stock muscle cars' headlights with relays and slight rewiring to get them to shine brighter.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go OEM on the power windows, they're still plentiful even if you need to get/rebuild the motors. The motors were used up to 77 lots out there. The "universal" kits I've had to fix/repair are cheezy

Power locks use aftermarket, unlike power windows those original parts seem to command a premium.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone got a parts diagram with what's needed to convert to electric windows with OEM parts?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Cool as hell. Glad to hear how happy you are with the results. Using the reverse gear as a reluctor was pure genius.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Anyone got a parts diagram with what's needed to convert to electric windows with OEM parts?
Gary--
IIRC, the bolts from your manual regulator bolt the power setup in as well--you just rotate the regulator around until the bolts line up. You have to get the complete factory wiring harness, route it thru the door and under the carpet back to the rear. If it needed a plug in connector (can't remember), it was in my factory harness even though mine didn't come w/power windows. But I believe I did have to find a 12v source for a thick wire; I used the line that powered my conv top (connected to the 30A fuse on the firewall). I do have factory manuals and can send you anything you might need, but I didn't at the time and it went in pretty simply. Given your abilities this would be a piece of cake. Let me know if you want a copy of anything; I can scan and email you next week. LMK.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build!
Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. Been doing some searching, looks like pretty bad reviews of the aftermarket stuff. Do you remember how the motors are clocked? Just wondering if my door speakers will interfere.
Thinking I'll make my own harness with 4 switches in the center console along with a single switch for locks.
I did find a 68-82 corvette E brake handle that's short enough to fit behind the shifter and in front of the console storage area. Just have to confirm if it's low profile enough to fit.

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Gary--
IIRC, the bolts from your manual regulator bolt the power setup in as well--you just rotate the regulator around until the bolts line up. You have to get the complete factory wiring harness, route it thru the door and under the carpet back to the rear. If it needed a plug in connector (can't remember), it was in my factory harness even though mine didn't come w/power windows. But I believe I did have to find a 12v source for a thick wire; I used the line that powered my conv top (connected to the 30A fuse on the firewall). I do have factory manuals and can send you anything you might need, but I didn't at the time and it went in pretty simply. Given your abilities this would be a piece of cake. Let me know if you want a copy of anything; I can scan and email you next week. LMK.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default Headliner material

hello..great build I have a 71 monte Im doing. Where did you get the material on post #70 from.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Cant remember exactly who I got it from. But if you search auto upholstery supplies online, there are plenty of suppliers.
I do buy a lot of stuff from these guys:
http://www.perfectfit.com/

Originally Posted by jjamm7667
hello..great build I have a 71 monte Im doing. Where did you get the material on post #70 from.

Last edited by garys 68; 10-24-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 72 Olds 442 build