Sponsored by:

More LS1 Miata track footage - Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More LS1 Miata track footage - Thunderhill

Hey gang,

Thought I'd provide some more motivation for those of you part way through a project...

Here's some footage from Thunderhill yesterday in my LS1 powered miata race car.

http://www.vimeo.com/16891498

I haven't got the sound worked out yet with my new AIM SmartyCam, so it sounds quite muffled. The good news is that you can clearly see the MPH on the video. This is GPS driven, so it should be accurate.

I'll preface the video with one "excuse". I'm driving on Hankook C51's that are completely heat-cycled beyond their useful life, so the laptimes you see are about 3+ seconds from where I will be with tires in their first 8 heat cycles.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Great run! Is that a mostly stock ls1 or do you have a few things done? I am curious if your mazda/gm hybrid is that fast or if the guy in the vette was taking it easy lol. Overall very smooth and consistent run. Looks like it was a blast!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

That is a bone stock LS1. Just 5 days ago it was on a wood pallet, delivered from Crate Engine Depot as a 99-00 crate motor. It only had some dyno time on it prior to the track time yesterday. The tune is really bad - the used PCM I bought has some really strange modifications in the tune. We only had time on Sunday to discover this, not fix it. So, we'll be going back to the dyno to make it right. I think the best pull was 305 in the current trim.

That corvette was definitely taking it easy. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but he wasn't particularly fast.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw several 1.4 latteral g's; even a blip @ 1.5. Not bad on greasy tires. How are the new hubs holding up?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

With a part like the rear hubs, only time will *really* tell how they're holding up. I imagine a part like that will probably only fail catastrophically. But, that being said, they are working great, no bearing issues, the axle nuts have stayed perfectly torqued. And, as I posted when I first received them and went to put them on, they certainly LOOK like they'll be bullet proof. They are designed and executed right on par with the rest of the "Heavy Duty" driveline components that V8R put together. Let's put it this way: I don't worry about my rear hubs any more

As for the 1.4/1.5G - I do have a good aero setup on the car with my large custom splitter and Racing Extras rear wing, so I'd attribute some of the lateral capability to that. It's definitely a testament to the true capabilities of this platform... When I get 275 Hoosiers, a FatCatMotorsports coilover setup with the proper spring rates and an ISC swaybar, LOOK OUT! Of course, when I start seeing consistent 2+G in the turns, then we'll find the next weaknesses in the car. Front hubs? Rubber suspension bushings? Ball joints? Not to mention the LS1 oiling issues... ;-)

Cheers,

Dean
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ Sounds great Dean. Thanks for the update. Look forward to more video. Future 2+g's...Wow!

Quick Reply: More LS1 Miata track footage - Thunderhill