Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in 68 camaro coversion questions? (basic newbe)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 in 68 camaro coversion questions? (basic newbe)

Im building a 68 camaro with an ls2... i need to know some basic questions about the conversion... Im running the gm muscle car pan... and i wanna know which motor mounts i should run and what headers can i run? this is a budget build so i plan on modifying the cross member. Ive seen motor plates in class industries... but i would like the the pan, hearders, and mounts to have chemistry. i thought bout doug headers.. but if there are cheaper long tube headers that will work with no or little moddifications i will be happy to try .. thanks let me know .. your help is greatly appricated
Old 11-26-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

help....
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What transmission are your running. Are you planning to relocate the Transmission.

You need to research the type of plates. Standard (well leave about 1" short of the trans bellhousing flange). 1" setback (which will move the engine back to the bellhousing flange).

you are better off getting everthing from one vendor or manufactor (engine mount/plates, header and trans crossmember).

also what type of front accessories you plan on using.

all of these things should be considered before going forward. You are going to get pro's and con's from everyone and where.. Bottom line is, if there is one or two major items that you have in mind for your direction.. then that will lead you to what type of parts and accessories you should take as a path on the build.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
What transmission are your running. Are you planning to relocate the Transmission.

You need to research the type of plates. Standard (well leave about 1" short of the trans bellhousing flange). 1" setback (which will move the engine back to the bellhousing flange).

you are better off getting everthing from one vendor or manufactor (engine mount/plates, header and trans crossmember).

also what type of front accessories you plan on using.

all of these things should be considered before going forward. You are going to get pro's and con's from everyone and where.. Bottom line is, if there is one or two major items that you have in mind for your direction.. then that will lead you to what type of parts and accessories you should take as a path on the build.

I have a t56 but i have a turbo 400 for a stout back up.... i can make my own trans mount to save money... and accessories... just alternator, power steering, and no air.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know for my second gen I should be able to use fbody oil pan and accessories with the 1" set back plates from car shop. Or you can look into the Edelbrock headers and setback plates as well, but then again my car is a 2nd gen.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk68mcleod
I have a t56 but i have a turbo 400 for a stout back up.... i can make my own trans mount to save money... and accessories... just alternator, power steering, and no air.
No water pump huh, brave!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Launching!

pretty easy now. The headers are readily available as are the mounts. Just search on yahoo or google. The trans mount is easy to fab, my brother and I used his stock one off the 68 and made one to work. Been holding up for about 9 years now. if you are using a stock harness, the toughest part is routing it arround the heater box and pass cyl head, gets pretty tight right there.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zamora7
No water pump huh, brave!
lol i thought a water pump was a givin... no im running a a stock gto waterpump... no electric for me
Old 11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sabastian458
pretty easy now. The headers are readily available as are the mounts. Just search on yahoo or google. The trans mount is easy to fab, my brother and I used his stock one off the 68 and made one to work. Been holding up for about 9 years now. if you are using a stock harness, the toughest part is routing it arround the heater box and pass cyl head, gets pretty tight right there.

Yeah im running the stock 06 gto harness.. Well are the the classic industry engine mounts that have the plates and mounts.. the one inche back ones?

Quick Reply: ls1 in 68 camaro coversion questions? (basic newbe)