Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gen swap - extending wires to mount computer inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd gen swap - extending wires to mount computer inside

How should I go about extending the wires on the harness so that I can mount the computer inside the car? I figured I could mount it somewhere in the engine compartment, but I can't, there's just not enough room. Can I just get the same gauge wire as used on the plugs that go to the computer and solder an extended length of wire to elongate that portion of the harness? I know better not to twist the wires together, but if I solder the wires, am I going to mess up the resistances in the wires and screw up my harness? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Teching In

What engine are you putting in? I out an lt1 in my 3rd gen and the PCM mounted in the front left corner of the engine bay just fine. And I would think twice about extending the wires. You are asking for a huge headache. Especially if you mess up on just one wire, it could take hours or days to find where it went wrong. I would make room under the hood, you will be better off.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mrplow
What engine are you putting in? I out an lt1 in my 3rd gen and the PCM mounted in the front left corner of the engine bay just fine. And I would think twice about extending the wires. You are asking for a huge headache. Especially if you mess up on just one wire, it could take hours or days to find where it went wrong. I would make room under the hood, you will be better off.
I'm installing an LS1. By front left corner, do you mean the passenger side where the battery usually goes? There is room to mount the PCM standing up on the frame against the passenger side fender, but I don't think I can stretch it all the way to the front.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:35 AM
SSh
On The Tree

Here is what I did to mount it on the frame of my 96 Impala SS (LS1 to LT1 swap). I used a piece of rubber (conveyor belt) between the SS bracket I fabricated and the frame. I used two fine thread self tapping bolts (like is used on other areas of the frame to hold brackets...) through the bracket and rubber.

Bracket >
http://shiggins.bounceme.net/picture...CM_bracket.JPG

Before cleaning up the wires >
http://shiggins.bounceme.net/pictures/PCM_location.JPG

After cleaning up wires >
http://shiggins.bounceme.net/pictures/engine_after1.JPG
http://shiggins.bounceme.net/pictures/engine_after2.JPG

I would not extend the wires unless you wanted to solder the wires and cover them with heat shrink tubing. You do not want to be troubleshooting the PCM wiring. I crimped the wires using collars then soldered and tubed them when I connected the original car wiring to the LS1 engine control harness.

Good Luck
-ssh
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

That looks like the spot in the engine compartment where I would have to mount mine. I guess since it looks to be a bad idea to extend the wires myself, I will just mount it standing up on the frame like your Impala. I don't really think it will look good, but I really don't want to destroy my harness either. I guess I just have to work with what I have.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 PM
SSh
On The Tree

Just clean the PCM up and paint it and it should not look to bad if you make the wires neat. The cover appears to be a pretty good grade of aluminum as it is holding a polish quite well. I ended up with the painted PCM and polished cover you see in the pictures.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen swap - extending wires to mount computer inside