Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 67 Camaro Build/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the computer work out mounted in the glove box?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Sweet build man
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ponjohn
That color is amazing. you mentioned you didn't like purple, was the Nissan color modifed?

Blackwalls here on everything I own. Not interested in advertising for the tire companies, nor do I like the appearance.
ponjohn, Yes the color was modified. Looking at my description of the Nissan paint, I may not have explained it well enough. We took the original color of Nissan Daytona Blue Met Pearl (B 17), which in retrospect, I now understand had a couple of different versions (one version had more purple than the other).
I'm thinking that we chose the one with more purple, which is the more recent version of this paint. Under brighter light, this paint appears more blue, than purple. Under less light & @ night, it appears very purple. Several sprayouts were done, one eliminating all purple from the orig formula(came out blue), one with half the purple (the final product on the car), and one with 2/3 purple (too dark).
I'm with you about people advertising on my car. I prefer blackwalls out.
Are all Antique/Vintage license plates the same throughout the US, or are you from CT? I'm also from CT. Nice Nova you have!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bmf5150
How did the computer work out mounted in the glove box?
At first, I wanted the computer to be mounted under the pass front seat. We contacted John @ SPEARTECH to ask him what gauge would be req to extend the harness. My wife is always thinking. She realized that it might be inviting trouble by altering something which hadn't been proved to be good.
The cable turned out to be long enough for the glovebox, which is just fine. The only things that go in the glovebox anyway are misc bolts, a fuse or two, @ the no-fault card & registration.
If you examine the photo with the ECM, you'll see a VATS gen mounted on top. From there, it's easY to develop your own anti-theft system. Any of the wires can be re-routed with a hidden switch!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to bud in, but I know of a guy that extended his wires to run the computer all the way to the trunk of a 57 Chevy. He said he had no issues, of course I didnt get ride in it. He builds some nice cars and wanted to try it out all the way back there. I am with you on the glove box mount. What is your take on mounting it on the firewall next to the right fender? I was a little concerned with the heat from the engine compartment and may extend it on to the glove box to be safe. I want it where I can access it just in case. How did you route the harness through the firewall? Grommet used? If you have part numbers that would be great.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

tsnow, The pass frame in the engine bay was the obvious choice. I was going to mount the computer standing up on the frame itself. No matter how it was arranged, I found it a little too close to the headers for my liking. The alternative was to mount on the pass wheel well in the engine compartment. Being a neatnick (think Adrian Monk!) I didn't like the way that the computer sat on the well.
It wouldn't be that big of a deal to make an elongated harness to the trunk.
Measure the distance (twice ), then buy some wire...20 gauge should do it, and make your own harness. In this case, people have made a hole in the firewall just BELOW the heater box to hide the cable. I wanted to hide the cable, but there just wasn't enough length to use this route.
Next best thing...There is a large hole in the upper firewall, next to the heater box. I'm not sure what it's for. When the car was bought, a harness went through the hole without any kind of gasket. To get the Speartech harness through this hole, it had to be widened just enough so that it didn't become an unsightly crater. The round hole was cut with a dremel to look like an arch/just big enough to pull the harness through. I'll post a couple of pics as soon as I get home this eve.
I have no gasket in there yet. The cable as it enters the firewall needs to be tidied up a bit. Have you seen one of those metal 'hoods' which covers the 240ac going into the back of a clothes dryer? Yea, something like that.

Looks a bit sloppy..needs dressing up. If there was more cable, it could be routed much lower through the firewall.

Last edited by gMAG; 01-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great build! I love the small details like the 346 emblems!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was leaning upwards mounting under the seat?what issues changed ur mind about under the seat?appreciate the advice!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I was leaning upwards mounting under the seat?what issues changed ur mind about under the seat?appreciate the advice!
There were so many items left to do at that moment, and as my wife suggested, "you don't know if you'll create any issues trying to extend the cable (under the seat)." I might save putting it under the front seat as a project for down the road.
After being disappointed that the engine bay would not be suitable for the mount, it was a coincidence that there was enough cable to place in the glovebox, so this made it convenient for the time being.
While all of this is/was happening, I'm trying to get things done so that the car can be sent back to the resto guy for final finishing in time for spring.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

With your color you can go either way with the tires. The white letters would go well with the bumble bee stripe, but with the blue black would probably be better.
Great build, looks very nice.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black&White
With your color you can go either way with the tires. The white letters would go well with the bumble bee stripe, but with the blue black would probably be better.
Great build, looks very nice.
Hadn't thought about it this way, but it makes sense.
I like your 70 F-body very much. IMO it is the best looking rear ever put on a vehicle..with the spoiler, of course!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally do not want to mount it in the trunk. I was reffering to your decision not to extend it under the seat. With a little shield as you mentioned yours seems to be mounted in the best place as is. I appreciate the reply and thanks for the information. Keep up the good work, you have done a hell of a job. Thats one sharp car you have.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gMAG
Hadn't thought about it this way, but it makes sense.
I like your 70 F-body very much. IMO it is the best looking rear ever put on a vehicle..with the spoiler, of course!
Thank you, and since you mentioned it here is what made me think of that:

With my dad's chevelle being red the blackwall looks much cleaner while the whitewall fits with my camaro. Since this pic I've gotten new tires, same as my dad's but still with the white letters out.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Black&white, just my 2 cents but I think you've got it backwards! White letters should be on the chevelle, black walls on the camaro.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gMAG
Thanks, Steve
Just when you think you're almost there, you'll find so many more items to be addressed. I can't wait to lie on the unheated garage floor. It's supposed to be -7 deg F this weekend. Time to move to CA!
i think I will be getting closer, basically ready to put the heads on,

Glink should be here on Monday, along with the VA,
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Steve68
i think I will be getting closer, basically ready to put the heads on,

Glink should be here on Monday, along with the VA,
Exciting stuff, Steve! Don't you enjoy the anticipation of coming home from work to find BIG BOXES on your front porch?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, like christmas!!!

going to finish cutting the trunk this afternoon, and take some pics,
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Are those hubs & wheels from a 68 Camaro?

EDIT 20:24est
The same hubs were on the 67 when bought...the difference being that you have Argent Silver rims & mine were painted black. I didn't realize that mine were 68's until looking through a catalogue later.

Last edited by gMAG; 01-22-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Add 67 photo & explanation
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

They were on it when I bought it 2 years ago so could be, they look very similar to my uncle's 68 vette.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

wow that is very very nice. well done and glad to see its goin to be a driver not a garage queen

Quick Reply: My 67 Camaro Build/Photos