Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a little while since an update. The front end was put back together and the car was taken to Martin Motorsports for:

10 Pt Cage
Frame Ties
New Full length floor pans
Fuel Cell Mount
Rear End build
Caltrac install and split mono install

Some Pics

Floor pans were worse shape than I thought

So these are going in

Sorry for crappy pics and the car being dirty from the trailer ride, here is the firewall getting welded and smoothed out

The housing tubes were welded to the center section and then cut off the factory housing ends and welded on big ford housing ends so I no longer rely on c clips or eleminators

Rear is getting a full spool, 33 spline moser axles. 3.23 gears,moser girdle and 1310 pinion yoke
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Here is one teaser pic, I get the car back from the chassis shop on tuesday so I will post all the updates. I give big thumbs up to Pat Martin of Martin Motorsports, everything came out amazing and the cage turned out better then I could imagine.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Got the car back home last night, Here are some pics of the current state. I plan on doing some finish work to the firewall and replace the master cylinder here this week. I am waiting on my PTC converter and then the engine/trans goes in.

Car got New full length floor pans, 10pt Cage, Window Net, Through the floor frame connects, aluminum package tray, parachute, fuel cell mount, finished some welding on firewall, build rear end with big ford housing ends, moser spool, 33 spline axles, 3.23 gear, moser girdle and install all the calvert stuff out back. Martin Motorsports did an amazing job.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Progress has been a little on the slow side due to some parts issues. I am only waiting on some pushrods at this point to get the motor all the way ready to go in. So I have been doing some finish work on the firewall and then got the interior back together here are the latest and greatest photos. My goal is to have the engine in the car in 2 weeks and then get the car back out to the fab shop to have my hotside crossover and coldside made up.

Got cage painted,new carpet installed, new cover on rear seat, bolted seats in and installed harnesses

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Well had a couple road blocks, the more I read about my oil pan choice I thought it was not best for my ground clearance and mount choices so I ordered a sheet metal pan from autokraft, its pretty nice with those trap door baffles. I finished getting the motor all bolted together and ready to set into the car. I am still on the fence clearance wise with my headers. I love the flow and looks but may have to get some stock valve covers, the tubes are very close to the valve covers.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

This is avery sweet build man...I like it a LOT. Made some very nice progress...gives me motivation to get my **** out in the garage and work on my junk.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Well engine is in! I was a little worried, the more I would read about people installing Lsx into x-bodys people had tons of problems with the mounts and oil pan clearance. I am very happy I spent the money on the autokraft sheetmetal pan. The clearance from crossmember to floor is great and there is plenty of space between pan and crossmember. And the ebay 1" setback plates worked great as well. Its time to start on the hotside, I kind of wish I would of went the twins route but I have to many parts to turn back now.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up Barbecue

Looks cool, guess the hole family can barbecue there when it's running
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great man, i may use those headers when i start my build, and wuick question, since you have a smoothed firewall,how does the heating system work? where do the hoses connect into?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Nice build. How much were those headers and where did you get them? I love those novas a good friend had one and they look really good about an inch lower in the back. I think those tires will still clear if you dropped it another inch in the back with some blocks. I know all the weight is not in the car yet but most of that will drop the front. Anyway nice car I am will be following this build.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Teching In

looks great, subscribing!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slownova73
looks great man, i may use those headers when i start my build, and wuick question, since you have a smoothed firewall,how does the heating system work? where do the hoses connect into?
This car has no heat and no wipers. The only time this car even gets a sniff of the outside is when there is a less than 10% chance of rain. The car MIGHT see street duty between the months of may-august/september each year.

Originally Posted by Wire guy
Nice build. How much were those headers and where did you get them? I love those novas a good friend had one and they look really good about an inch lower in the back. I think those tires will still clear if you dropped it another inch in the back with some blocks. I know all the weight is not in the car yet but most of that will drop the front. Anyway nice car I am will be following this build.
They are stainless works up and forward LSX turbo headers. I ordered them through jegs because they are local to me and had them specify 1 3/4 primaries and 3" collectors i think they list for around 950. I really hope the ride height stays the same but I am sure it will settle a bit. I am building this car with the thought process of putting together a 6.0 and a 91mm single here in a couple years so I wanted everything to be ready so all that I have to do is bolt the engine in and remove old turbo and bolt new one in.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Teching In

Anything new with this beast? Awesome build and great attention to detail! Looking forward to reading more! The more I read the more a fire gets lit under my ***! Ill be transforming my racecar back into a street car very soon because of all these x-body conversion threads I've been reading lately. Good luck finishing the build.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Launching!

My busy season is summer at work so my personal deadline on the car wont be met unfortunately and have moved it to later winter or early spring of '12. I have got some minor things done. I got my trans crossmember in and figured out the alternator low mount and belt routing. I will get some pics of the changes since last update. Thanks for compliments!!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Progress Update....

Its been a while due to work overload this summer and some motivational issues with the heat but its picking up steam again! Got all the front end sheet metal back on the car, Figured out the accessory drive and belt setup, car is now in the process of getting the turbo stuff all built. I wanted to make sure I am not limited to the 76mm with the build so there has been a great deal of planning going on. I am mocking up a pt4788 so when I build my next motor over the next year I can shoot for 1000whp+

Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

id get the f body alternator bracket an put a ribbed tensioner pulley on it so you can get a lil more water pump pulley contact with your belt. also for $950 ud think stainless works stuff would be equal length...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I agree on the headers, but they are still a work of art and will flow some serious power.I am not wasting money on a fbody alt bracket, and there is not alot of room for the bracket. I may look into another ribbed pulley but most people I see route it this way and have no problems
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Project is coming along great!!! Very clean!

Thanks
-Anthony
Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should just put two Precision 6267's on there....just saying
Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Launching!

More of a final product of the intercooler mounting and started getting ideas for mounting the turbo. The turbo mounted currently is the pt4788 that will be used next year once the built 6.0l is done. So everything is being fitted with that turbo in mind but with the 5.3 the mp 76 q trim will be used. in the next 1-2 weeks the hotside will be done and progress will be picked up. Its starting to come together

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build