Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stans 1968 camaro LS swap and other upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad option tony,but I'm leaning towards lsx. 427 with kenne bell..I still can't make up my mind though!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Not a bad option tony,but I'm leaning towards lsx. 427 with kenne bell..I still can't make up my mind though!
Yeah but after reading the minimum octane requirement for the LSX454R it would not be a choice for me on the street. 110 minimum!!! Over .700" lift cam plus you would have to cut a hole in the hood to fit it in there.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I want street drive ability still
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Decisions

Last edited by bmf5150; 05-23-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Fun build

But one thing I want to comment on...... im not sure why we are all talking about big motors and power.....when I dont see much on the car to get it do the ground?

Not trying to be debbie downer here, but I would race my heads/cam LS1 against an LSx454 on stock suspension any day
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

2bfat,that's already planned.deciding on either the Scott mock subframe or the art Morris with the ridetech 4link around same time I do the motor!

Last edited by bmf5150; 08-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree Tsnow !!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If u have never seen the Scott mock subframe check it out here!!
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39949
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Who says you have to spend 10k on suspension to get it to hook? And who says you have to swap subframes and rear axles as well?

....and im sorry you feel that way about Missouri. We are the "show me state" and looks like you had nothing to show apparently.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just want really good handling and ride quality and I'm not a fan of keeping the rear springs!i did look into the hotchkis suspension and multiple people tell me they handle well but ride like ****!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I just want really good handling and ride quality and I'm not a fan of keeping the rear springs!i did look into the hotchkis suspension and multiple people tell me they handle well but ride like ****!!!
I guess im more of a straight line person rather than cornering. Never been an auto x fan but more of a 1320.

Im keeping the leaf spring setup and running cal-trac bars. Prolly not the best option for cornering but I wont be doing that.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rear now has cal trac like bars, not sure what brand very well might be cal trac.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wana do a mini tub too!all with time and money!not a rush
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I don't remember Stan saying anything about drag racing so to get it to hook on the street would be as simple as not pressing the gas. A bad *** engine in an old muscle car on the verge of shredding the rear tires at every light is just plain awesome. I am glad you have built a single purpose vehicle. Hopefully it works out for you. But If I were to build a drag car it wouldn't be an LS1, just saying. No replacement for displacement!

I am at 471rwhp/450ft/lbs six speed. That's not a ton of power but better than most.

What was I going to show? Sort of weird if you ask me. The arch was cool if you like looking at the Ghetto from way up high.
Who says mine is going to be a drag car? And a single purpose vehicle? Why wouldnt you build a drag car with an LS1? There have been many in the 9s and 10s. And a few on the stock bottom end to boot. Again, you dont have to have a fire breathing massive cubic inch motor to go fast. Its how you set it up and get it to the ground. I also plan to make that power with just a H/C/I LS1. Did I mention its also the ol ladies car?

That leads me to the comment of not pressing the gas...... so then whats the point? Shredding tires is what I did in high school.....plus its expensive. If I am at a stop light with someone thats giddy on racing im def not going to want to go up in smoke. Also I will see you at the end when you miss a shift with your six speed. Manuals impress high school kids, automatics win races.

One last thing, there is replacement for displacement. Its called boost. And lots of it

Last edited by 2BFAST; 08-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.streetfire.net/video/texas-speeds-record-setting-982-headscam-ls1_198218.htm
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Yippeee!!!! One guy out to prove something to the world that his stock bottom end LS1 will out run all of the other LS1s. It doesn't say how much spray he was using, what the car weighed, how much money was dumped into that pass, or any of the other factors that should be considered. Don't get me wrong I like the LS1 as it is what started all of this. It ought to be considered as one of the best engine designs since the SBC. I have the upmost respect for all things LS big or small. I prefer larger cubic inch engines as does Stan. You bought the LS1 for a reason and that's cool but not everyone else wants the same thing. You are like a vacuum cleaner salesman that won't go away trying to convince the world the LS1 is still top dog, it had its day for sure, for several years as a matter of fact. Your engine in a 2,000 lb. car would be unstoppable but the reality is your engine is going to be in a 3,500lb all steel car. Not as impressive but still fast. Power to weight ratio is key. For example: a good friend of mine has a hatchback Mustang with a 306ci engine T5 5-speed laying down 340rwhp that runs the 1/8th in 6.87 without the need for any power adders. He weighs 2,300lbs and hooks on drag radials.

What kind of power do you really, truthfully, not what you read in a magazine, expect to get out of the stock bottom end LS1 you are slapping together? A good friend of mine has one in his 69 Camaro and it was awesome to him at first, now he is spraying the **** out of it and he now wants more! Do you see where I am going? Give it up man just give it up. I tried not to stir the pot last night and just get back to the topic but you are persistent. You must be an only child or were spoiled beyond belief growing up. By the way, I like your Camaro and for your wife to want to keep it in the family is awesome. Best of luck on your build.
The whole point of my posts and very first post was everyones talk about big motors and big power...but no supporting mods to do anthing with the power. It was a simple question then you started going off about being on a budget yet planning on spending 10k on suspension? I mentioned you dont have to spend 10k on suspension to get it to hook but its your car and your build. Have at it

Second you mentioned your first choice for a drag car wouldnt be an LS1 because there is no replacement for displacement. Obviously there is and that car in the link I provided is N/A. My comment on I would take my LS1 over a fire breathing huge motor on stock suspension any day because what is the point of having a huge motor with gobbs of power to just light the tires up? I could care less what you have between the frame rails....if you cant win a race because you cant get it to hook what is the point in having it? I never mentioned the LS1 is still "king" as you claim I said. I just stated you can still make great power and go fast with them. Thats great you prefer big cubes, but remember this was a question about suspension not comparing cubic inches.

Third you mentioned how much power do I think I will have out of this LS1 I am "slapping" together out of a magazine. Well first im not "slapping" it together. Iv been around a few LS setups in my day N/A, Boosted, & Nitrous so this isnt my first rodeo unlike yourself it seems. In my opinion a stroked N/A LS2 or 3 that you are making 471 to the wheels is low. Very low as a matter of fact.

Fourth im sorry you have to result in calling me a vacuum cleaner and spoiled beyond belief which either of those two im not. I am also sorry for what ever experience you had in STL wasnt the best....but does STL cover the entire state of Missouri? Last I remember it doest. Also the last time I checked North Carolina wasnt the poster child for United States tourism either.

Again man, as you can read previously I wasnt trying to be debbie downer but it was a simple suspension question is all. It was asked because I cant count how many guys I have seen over the years roll into a street racing gathering or street scene night with all this power, blower, turbos, ect and only to light the tires up when racing because they have no way to get it to the ground. Then get a case of the redass because they lost.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
The whole point of my posts and very first post was everyones talk about big motors and big power...but no supporting mods to do anthing with the power. It was a simple question then you started going off about being on a budget yet planning on spending 10k on suspension? I mentioned you dont have to spend 10k on suspension to get it to hook but its your car and your build. Have at it

Second you mentioned your first choice for a drag car wouldnt be an LS1 because there is no replacement for displacement. Obviously there is and that car in the link I provided is N/A. My comment on I would take my LS1 over a fire breathing huge motor on stock suspension any day because what is the point of having a huge motor with gobbs of power to just light the tires up? I could care less what you have between the frame rails....if you cant win a race because you cant get it to hook what is the point in having it? I never mentioned the LS1 is still "king" as you claim I said. I just stated you can still make great power and go fast with them. Thats great you prefer big cubes, but remember this was a question about suspension not comparing cubic inches.

Third you mentioned how much power do I think I will have out of this LS1 I am "slapping" together out of a magazine. Well first im not "slapping" it together. Iv been around a few LS setups in my day N/A, Boosted, & Nitrous so this isnt my first rodeo unlike yourself it seems. In my opinion a stroked N/A LS2 or 3 that you are making 471 to the wheels is low. Very low as a matter of fact.

Fourth im sorry you have to result in calling me a vacuum cleaner and spoiled beyond belief which either of those two im not. I am also sorry for what ever experience you had in STL wasnt the best....but does STL cover the entire state of Missouri? Last I remember it doest. Also the last time I checked North Carolina wasnt the poster child for United States tourism either.

Again man, as you can read previously I wasnt trying to be debbie downer but it was a simple suspension question is all. It was asked because I cant count how many guys I have seen over the years roll into a street racing gathering or street scene night with all this power, blower, turbos, ect and only to light the tires up when racing because they have no way to get it to the ground. Then get a case of the redass because they lost.
After reading through all this bullshit I realized that this is one of the best posts I have read in this thread. Dude asks a question other dude gets butthurt, beats chest, and thinks his stroked out LS made his dick longer... Classic!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quite a bit of drama in the last flurry of posts. The problem is you are both right. When your talking forced induction an LS1/2 or 3 can reliably make the kind of power Stan is after and then some. It is a just a matter of how he wants to go about it.

The LS1 would be the cheapest route since he already has a good set of heads & cam. Stroking the LS1 with forged components, machine work and main/heads studs and your done. The LS3 would cost more, but big cubic inch motors can be fun and the aftermarket is fully supporting the LS3 so things will only get better with time. Regardless of what route you go it is a win/win situation as both setups can make the power you need.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Quite a bit of drama in the last flurry of posts. The problem is you are both right. When your talking forced induction an LS1/2 or 3 can reliably make the kind of power Stan is after and then some. It is a just a matter of how he wants to go about it.

The LS1 would be the cheapest route since he already has a good set of heads & cam. Stroking the LS1 with forged components, machine work and main/heads studs and your done. The LS3 would cost more, but big cubic inch motors can be fun and the aftermarket is fully supporting the LS3 so things will only get better with time. Regardless of what route you go it is a win/win situation as both setups can make the power you need.
Well said Rocketrod! You are the man for sure.

I have removed my portion of the posts so as not to junk up Stan's thread any more than I already have. Guess I sort of got caught up in the moment. It is all good!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

We're all good here.

In my opinion it adds character to a thread and makes for good reading on a rainy day.

Pm sent to you Tsnow

Quick Reply: Stans 1968 camaro LS swap and other upgrades!