Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making an Automatic adapter plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Making an Automatic adapter plate?

Guys I am comtemplating making an adapter plate for a mid-engine project I plan on doing. Wanting to use an LS motor with flexplate (internally balanced I believe?) and mate it to a Audi automatic trans and Tq converter.

I am thinking an 1/2 inch thick aluminum bellhousing adapter that bolts to the LS block and in turn the Audi automatic would bolt to the same adapter.

The Audi's Tq converter is 10 7/8 in diameter with 3 mounting holes (similiar to the LS design) so I hoping there are pretty close, if not since the flexplate is internally balanced I suppose I can drill my own holes and not throw off the balance?

Factory style starter would work find considering the Flexplate is in the stock location, and I figure shims could be used for the distance between the Converter and Flexplate.

Centering everyting seems to be the biggest concern, I know the hub on the audi is quite a bit smaller than the LS converters hub. But then again I don't think that even matters as long as its centered?

Anyone see anything wrong with this or my thinking?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Centering everyting seems to be the biggest concern, I know the hub on the audi is quite a bit smaller than the LS converters hub. But then again I don't think that even matters as long as its centered?

I see a problem right here. That hub has to fit in the end of the crank. You may have to have a spacer custom built but you can run it any other way. You can never get the convertor snout lined up straight, and keep it that way, without a spacer of some sort.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thats kind of what I thought, but didn't know for sure.

I see your from Arkansas, I live in Paragould (NE)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Guys I am comtemplating making an adapter plate for a mid-engine project I plan on doing. Wanting to use an LS motor with flexplate (internally balanced I believe?) and mate it to a Audi automatic trans and Tq converter.

I am thinking an 1/2 inch thick aluminum bellhousing adapter that bolts to the LS block and in turn the Audi automatic would bolt to the same adapter.

The Audi's Tq converter is 10 7/8 in diameter with 3 mounting holes (similiar to the LS design) so I hoping there are pretty close, if not since the flexplate is internally balanced I suppose I can drill my own holes and not throw off the balance?

Factory style starter would work find considering the Flexplate is in the stock location, and I figure shims could be used for the distance between the Converter and Flexplate.

Kennedy Adapters has you (almost) covered. Scroll to the bottom of the page, it shows "pre-96 Chev V6/V8 to Audi 5000 axle. Might be worth a call to see what's needed to accommodate the LS motor...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

S10xGN thanks for the link, I know about those guys, they do mainly manual setups, but the Audi 5000 shares the same bellhousing as the audi automatic I want to use. Kennedy uses 1.5-3inch thick adapter plates (probably because of the extra things involved) I am planning on making mine 1/2 or 5/8 inch, I think that would be plenty.

I can buy the sheet of aluminum for $100 bucks, with a little bit of my time, I figure I could just do it myself??

As far as the converter hub, if I am not mistaken it suppose to just fit snug inside the crankshaft?

Last edited by T/A KID; 01-03-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well idk anything worth nothing as far as your issue, but wtf are you doing man??

also, it sounds worthwhile to at least get ahold of them to see how/what they do/what it takes to get that working, either to buy it or to fab your own..
Old 01-03-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well idk anything worth nothing as far as your issue, but wtf are you doing man??

also, it sounds worthwhile to at least get ahold of them to see how/what they do/what it takes to get that working, either to buy it or to fab your own..
Fair enough, plan to build a GTM supercar in the future with an automatic transmission instead of using the traditional manual Porsche transaxle. I can do moderate fab work, nothing to extensive, but an adapter seems pretty straight forward to me? Most places want $500-1200 for there adapter kits (most are manuals though) and what I am doing no one has ever done before, not saying kennedy couldn't do it, but I figure with a little bit of knowledge I can just do it myself for a lot less.

At this stage just gathering information.

Quick Reply: Making an Automatic adapter plate?