Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011 | 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
why not run a 4150 style throttle body if you're planning on using a carb intake anyways?
Well, first and obvious, if I buy a truck motor I'll already have the TB. Second, I wanted to go with a system that is already demonstrated. I wasn't trying to necessarily save $50 total cost, I was trying to save weekend's trying to figure out why something I pieced together didn't work. Since a quick scan of 4150 TB's on ebay are north of $500 anyway, looks like this kit would be cheaper anyway.

Do you have a link to someone that's already done the 4150 TB route? I'd be more interested if I have a success story out there already.
Old 02-08-2011 | 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

link no, have I done several yes. They use the ls style IAC and TPS, same hookup as a carb basically for linkages. In fact I just got done putting one on a sbc in a mustang using all gen 3 motor sensors in the throttle body, worked out great. Not to mention the 4150 style throttle body seriously outflows any truck throttle body by a large margin. Plus you retain a more stock appearance in an older body swap.
Old 02-08-2011 | 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep in mind, this build is the product of...
  1. already having a Holley Commander 950 TBI system integrated into my car when I scored a low-mile LS1 long block very cheap
  2. wanting to keep my T/A shaker intake functional
...but this system works well too. The controller and coils can easily be hidden.

Last edited by 1981TA; 02-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2011 | 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is super sneaky and slick. I see the black pipe coming up from that back into the air cleaner. Do you have any more pics or info on this car? I would love to see where they hid the turbos.
It's not only sneaky it is B2TFB. Check out this video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKt1rebIi8
Old 02-12-2011 | 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I go this route sounds like I have to go speed density since no place for MAF. Is this hard to do? Related, how hard is it to get a mail order tune with a stock LY6, mast cam for VVT, this type intake setup and speed density? Like to be able to get it very drivable, and then find some tuner near dayton oh that I can take it to later for fine tuning. Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2011 | 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
If I go this route sounds like I have to go speed density since no place for MAF. Is this hard to do? Related, how hard is it to get a mail order tune with a stock LY6, mast cam for VVT, this type intake setup and speed density? Like to be able to get it very drivable, and then find some tuner near dayton oh that I can take it to later for fine tuning. Thoughts?
That my friend is a question for Steve (aka Frost) in the tuning section. I'm told he is one of the kings of mail order tunes. http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/ I would send him an email or PM.

Quick Reply: Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?