Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with factory external voltage reg and alt wiring for 06' LS2 in 69' Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice diagram. That should help a bunch. Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bozz, thanks for the update.

I do have a couple of questions about your diagram though on your conversion. Does the "new" conversion harness have the Alt plug wired into it? Assuming the PCM controls the Alt operation, what would you do with the old Alt (factory plug)?

Did you use an AMP meter in your conversion? He says he is running both a gen light and an AMP gauge.

To the OP, is your car wiring setup for a factory AMP gauge (in console) or Gen light (in dash). I have never seen one with both (from factory).
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the madelectrical site. He has lots of good info on bypassing the voltage regulator and you should be able to take it from there.

www.madelectrical.com
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 130fe
Bozz, thanks for the update.

I do have a couple of questions about your diagram though on your conversion. Does the "new" conversion harness have the Alt plug wired into it? Assuming the PCM controls the Alt operation, what would you do with the old Alt (factory plug)?

Did you use an AMP meter in your conversion? He says he is running both a gen light and an AMP gauge.

To the OP, is your car wiring setup for a factory AMP gauge (in console) or Gen light (in dash). I have never seen one with both (from factory).
I got rid of the old factory ALT plug and wires, I did not need it. Think about it, one wire was for the alt light and the other for power to the ext regulator for voltage sensing.. Well we got rid of the ext regulator so I did not need it. The 05-06 GTO alt does the voltage sensoring at the Battery with the B lead... Now Madelectrical talks about possibly running the B lead to the horn relay as such to reference voltage where the accessories meet before they go to the battery, but I did not do that since it works fine at the battery for me.

I used the factory 06 gto wiring harness so it made it alot easier, the hardest part was just figuring out what wires I did not need......

My motor runs separate on its on system basically, with the only tap into the factory wiring is the starter and ignition.... Made it real simple..... I forgot to put it in there but I also used the inside fuse block from the 06 GTO, that I put in the back of the glove box.... So the motor basically runs on its own system independent of the Chevelle except for 2 wires.......

Here is what I grabed out of the 06 GTO:
the engine fuse block(used it for engine functions)
interrior fuse panel(used it for basic functions for the motor)
Motor/tranny
ECM
TCM
BCM(did not use,bypassed it)
PIM(did not use,bypassed it)
Harness

Bozz
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Bozz, that's cool you used all of the GTO stuff like that.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 130fe
Bozz, that's cool you used all of the GTO stuff like that.
Yelp, it was in good condition and the place where I got the donor motor from, I told them not to cut anything and leave the harness on the motor and just unplug stuff.... They did a good job....

As I said, the hardest part was just going through and figuring out the stuff you do not need... per alldata.com info and schematics....

Bozz
Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Bozz, What is the TCM you are talking about? Is there a seprate control module for the electric gas pedal to wire into before it goes to ECM? If so, I must be missing that part of the harness. I should be getting my harness back from Speartech tomorrow. I supposidly got the whole engine harness including gas pedal from the car, but didn't get anything off the pedal assy. I guess I may have to go shopping again.....
I am learning a ton about these set-up's. Now I totaly see how you can get burried in one of these conversions.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kwkrat2
Bozz, What is the TCM you are talking about? Is there a seprate control module for the electric gas pedal to wire into before it goes to ECM? If so, I must be missing that part of the harness. I should be getting my harness back from Speartech tomorrow. I supposidly got the whole engine harness including gas pedal from the car, but didn't get anything off the pedal assy. I guess I may have to go shopping again.....
I am learning a ton about these set-up's. Now I totaly see how you can get burried in one of these conversions.
TCM= transmission control module

You only need this if yor running a auto...In my case 4L65E...... I just grabbed the stock one out of the 06 GTO... Also if Speartech is tunning your ECM, you should have sent the TCM to tune it at the sametime as the ECM... to tune shift pressure,gears,stall,etc..... The bst tune is a dyno tune though.

This only applies if you are running an A4... If your car was an M6 and your running a M6 as such then I don't think you would have one.
The TCM controls the 4l65e or electronic transmissions. 4l80e,4l60e,4l65e,4l70e etc... all utilize a TCM....

Don't get discouraged and worry, just make sure you build a solid platform and do all the possible research. The other thing is that there will be things that need to be fabricated or tweaked... it just goes with the territory of converting a 30-40 year old car with newer technology, but actually it is not that hard... Hang in there. Post or PM me if you need help... I have over 6000+ miles on my first one(69 Chevelle LS2) and have swapped heads, cams, etc.... on it. Now I am going to a turbo setup..... I will never go back to a gen I or II setup...... I won't even buy another car with a motor, because I am going to do what I want to it anyways, and ever seller usually always say " Oh I had the motor rebuilt a few months ago"....lol

Bozz
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Madelectrical and some others recommend a remote bat/accessories draw like the horn bus is on the 69. GM has some external battery posts that work well also. Note the power to the interior goes there and the bat feed is also there. They don't like the power draw to be at the battery itself. I used a remote battery post in the past but similiar to you I am using the entire 4th gen module and did all my custom wiring at the dash. The engine compartment, etc all almost bolt in with no mods unless you want to remove the extra wiring like for the ABS, etc. I had the entire donor car so it was easy. I elected to keep the BCM for the remote/ power door locks, etc. From the interior it looks stock except for the Autometer gauges everywhere in place of the stocks. The lighting also has the 4th gen logic with even the autoheadlights working. Factory alarm, etc also come along for the ride.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Bozz, great info. I PM'd you a question about this.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: What to do with factory external voltage reg and alt wiring for 06' LS2 in 69' Camaro