Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Mast pan. Pictures to follow soon since I finally figured out how to post them
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Heres the engine with the Mast pan on.[IMG][/IMG]
and here is the engine in the car. I dont have the mounts in yet, just test fitting the hedders. The hedders prevent me from moving the engine forward where i want it.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

First off thank you to your son and son-in-law both. A lot of people don't realize what they do allows us to do what we do.

You might not be that far yet, but how is the tie rod to oil pan clearance?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for your kind words, God Bless all the men and women and their families.

Tie rod clearance is great. The Mast pan has a very shallow front. The transmission is on the way, i need it before i can place the engine in its final resting place. I wanted to move the engine forward so my ac would clear, but the hedders hit the crossmember. Out comes the cut off wheel, looks like a notch job in the future for the ac.

I think the reason it takes so long to build these things is the time it takes to get your parts after you order them, I am over a month behind because of delivery delays. I dont think i will make it in time for SEMA the first of Nov. But the absolute deadline is before my son returns. He has already came home for his visit, so i can really get aggressive. It was hard not to tell him about it and he didnt pay much attention to the mountain of boxes in the corner of the shop.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquitebean

Tie rod clearance is great......
Have you checked this with the steering wheel turned all the way to t he extremes?

Andrew
Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Its been a long couple of weeks. My tranny arrived and i have been busy. I got the motor mounts built, the tranny crossmember modified, the crossmember notched, and I am welding up the tunnel. I will post up some pics soon. I dropped the engine down as far as i could. The tie rod ends are close, as is the A/C bracket. I can only get three of the four compressor bolts in, but that shouldnt be a problem. I ordered several different a/c fittings from docs blocks. Hopefully something will fit. I am going to go ahead and weld up all the extra holes in the firewall, except the ones needed for the vintage air system. Wont be needing that speedo hole either.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the corvette gmpp FEAD and the AC kit from Kwik performance to relocate the compressor to the top on my LS3 e-rod for my 70 Monte Carlo. I started out with BRP motor mounts, but I couldn't get it to seat correctly. It might work for a Chevelle, but I didn't have much luck with my Monte. I went with Dingo adjustable motor mounts instead and they fit perfect. The Cts-v oil pan clears the crossmember as well. I was hoping to get my conversion up and running before the end of the year, but it looks like I'll be deploying myself as well. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

I would have relocated the a/c as well, but the supercharger kit is fairly specific. I didn't want to have to change the belt routing, etc. You need alot of contact for the belt

Thank you for your service! Stay safe, train hard. God bless
Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Took her to the beauty shop to get bright red lipstick and black eyeliner. Polishing the stainless to set off her curves. Hopefully see her by Sept 1.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

This my be an odd question but did you get that car from texarkana? Just worndering.. looks just like one I looked at about 7 years ago before I bought my chevelle..

That LS3 is going to make that car scoot.. good luck on the project and God Bless Our Troops..
Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Project update, Well i am in bodyshop hell. Car was supposed to be out September 1 and i still dont have it back. I definately will miss SEMA. But more importantly, i am running out of time to have it finished when my son returns. I have an estimated return date now for him, within a week. My son in law left a few weeks ago. Finding seats has been one of the hardest also, I havent found what i am looking for and i need the seats first to begin the interior. I have a mountain of new parts ready to put on. The supercharger came in a couple of weeks ago, nice piece! I am almost finished with the dash, led lights came in last week and i had to find what resistor to use to dim them. At first i did not like the dash insert. However after all the modifying, it really looks sharp. There where no instructions on how to install it. I hope to post up some new pictures soon. Todays job, install the cam, pushrods, springs and new chain.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Project update, Well i am in bodyshop hell. Car was supposed to be out September 1 and i still dont have it back. I definately will miss SEMA. But more importantly, i am running out of time to have it finished when my son returns. I have an estimated return date now for him, within a week. My son in law left a few weeks ago. Finding seats has been one of the hardest also, I havent found what i am looking for and i need the seats first to begin the interior. I have a mountain of new parts ready to put on. The supercharger came in a couple of weeks ago, nice piece! I am almost finished with the dash, led lights came in last week and i had to find what resistor to use to dim them. At first i did not like the dash insert. However after all the modifying, it really looks sharp. There where no instructions on how to install it. I hope to post up some new pictures soon. Todays job, install the cam, pushrods, springs and new chain.
You have to be one of the coolest Dads out there! Your Son is going to remember/appreciate this for the rest of his life, more than you would know!! He definately deserves it..Post up some new pictures...I cant wait to see the finished product..I love Chevelles!!!

God Bless our Troops
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Project update, Well i am in bodyshop hell. Car was supposed to be out September 1 and i still dont have it back. I definately will miss SEMA. But more importantly, i am running out of time to have it finished when my son returns.
Body shops can be hell. Between them, chrome people and the weatherman, I wonder why they quote anything at all. On rare occasion they are accurate but they usually miss the mark by a wide margin.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well, i am going to keep the car for a little while and "break it in". Hopefully the Power tour and some other venues, Super Chevy and Good Guys maybe.
Heres a couple of pics.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the build, Great start so far.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Still in Bodyshop hell, but getting closer. No way Im going to finish before my son returns. But Im going to still try.
I ordered my computer and harness from Speartech. Finally found the seats I wanted, they are at the upholsterer getting modified. Almost finished with the dash. Got the gauges in the dash, but forgot i have to cut the glove box for the Vintage Air. Going to start mock up of the condensor and supercharger intercooler tomorrow on my EC.
Heres a pic of the dash.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Finally back from the bodyshop. It looks pretty good, but will need another polish. Ive found several marks that need to be polished. Too bad i cant work on it til next week.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

I got the engine back in this evening, for the fifth time. Hope the hood clears!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sick build!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Great holidays, my son made it back to the states, but didnt get to come home. We spent several days with him after he returned. He still doesnt know about the car, I get one more month to work on it. Im on the fence about doing too much to it before he comes, Since it wont be finished, i think we should put it together when he gets here for his leave.
The hood barely clears, about an inch above the supercharger.
Ive been working on the fuel system, got the stainless tubing bent and ran like i want. The Ricks Tank, Flowmaster 3" stainless exhaust kit, and VaporWorx fuel control should be in this week. The rear seats are mounted and armrests modified to fit, I wont post pics of the interior until it is almost complete. I think everyone will really like it. I got the headlight holes in the core support cut out to fit the Xenon bulbs., Too bad the car has to be repolished, i have everything to finish the exterior.
I am having a hard time with the intercooler for the supercharger. The kit was for a Corvette and i cant find a good place in front of the condensor to mount it. I think it should be up behind the grill, and not down behind the bumper for maximum cooling. However the hood latch is in the way. I have hood pins, and thought about removing the latch and rely on the hood pins, I really dont want to. I could purchase another cooler, 250.00. which is what i may do. Decision will be made this weekend.
Second major problem, the compressor blocks i purchased for my AC compressor do not fit. I ordered some more and they dont fit. I have called Docs Blocks twice with no luck in getting any help. Its a 10S17F Denso for a Cadillac CTSV.
Third problem, not too bad. Trying to find a fan for the radiator. Ive read all the A body threads and find the Lincoln M8 several times. Kinda wanted dual fans but may use that one.
This weekend is to figure out the intercooler, and work in the trunk on mounting the Battery, Sub box, amp and Deck.
I took some pics of the ground clearance and thought i would share.

Quick Reply: Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC