Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get your dash insert from and does it fit well?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

It's a Covans Thunderroad. You have to trim it quite a bit to fit. For the price, it should fit like a glove.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Teching In

nice work !!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kickass build.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mesquitebean
jmil, a 4l80 e would be great, but i am trying to save a little money. Main question is, will it fit tunnel wise? I have talked to Speartech, and their setup seems to be exactly what i need.
If it's not finished, it's not too late for one last thing. The transmission. Shop around on craigslist, you should be able to find a 4L-80E for around $250.00. Add this....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L80E-3/

there's another $230.00. That's a manual valvebody, great for fun factor and you don't have to buy a trans controller. Then take it down to your local transmission shop for a rebuild and pay the $700-ish for a rebuild and getting that valve body installed. Buy the torque converter to match your engine, and I bet the grand total runs you about the same as a built 4L-60E from a vendor. Bet you can sell the one you got at cost easy.

A 4L-80E will do a much better job surviving behind a force-fed LS3. The only trans tunnel mod you would have to do in a '70 Chevelle would involve a hammer to the trans tunnel, just pound it out. Won't hurt your time line or the body work you already have in it. And that E-force you got is definetly gonna be helping with putting the power down.

I'm a soldier in the ARMY as well, so I know how much this is going to mean to your son when he returns, finished or not. I wish him a succesful deployment, and a safe return

Last edited by turbinesurgeon; 01-19-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Turbinesurgeon, thanks for the advice. I went with the 4l70, I plan on upgrading to a heavily built unit in the future. The computer setup is from a Trailblazer so I can use a cruise. It didn't fit very well and ended up slicing the tunnel open and rewelding it.

Everything is coming together, still waiting on the fuel tank though. Mounted the pedal, located a place for the ECM and tcm, purchased a cooler for the supercharger and mounted it.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

What fuel tank are you going with?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
What fuel tank are you going with?
Ricks tank with VaporWorx Cadillac CTSV pump module and FloWorx controller.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Well, the reveal wasnt quite like TV, Its not finished. But thats OK, my son is home on leave and we are putting it together like it was intended.
I had hoped he could come home when he got back to the States, but they wouldnt let them. We spent several days together after they came home. Last Friday, he came home for a month leave. We stayed up late to show him the car. I have countless boxes full of parts to be installed. We have made good progress this week. Plan on trying to start it this week.

The beast is coming together.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Started the sound deadener in the cab, mounted the computer and then the Vintage Air.

Got the fuel tank in also.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,154 Posts

That looks like a grin on your sons face to me. Very, very cool. Keep us posted!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Nice project....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

looks like credit is maxed too haha. nice build cant wait to see it finished!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle
That looks like a grin on your sons face to me. Very, very cool. Keep us posted!
Yes, Very Big. He knew there was a "surprise" for him when he got home. He said he thought I may have done something with his car, but "never imagined this".

Plans are to start it this week.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed. God bless America. Thank you for your service sir!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

I am sorry to say that I was secretly hoping that you would not be able to finish it before your son came home.Why?? you ask. because a project like this would be better to have quality father son time.it will be much more appreciated if he is involved with the build.I do believe your heart is in the right place.But I think it will be better off this way letting him learn how difficult a ls swap is should make the build sweeter and make both of you proud to be involved.With that said take the time you have together an BOTH of you go out and build this car!!!!!!!!. make us proud!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by E.rodz
I am sorry to say that I was secretly hoping that you would not be able to finish it before your son came home.Why?? you ask. because a project like this would be better to have quality father son time.it will be much more appreciated if he is involved with the build.I do believe your heart is in the right place.But I think it will be better off this way letting him learn how difficult a ls swap is should make the build sweeter and make both of you proud to be involved.With that said take the time you have together an BOTH of you go out and build this car!!!!!!!!. make us proud!
I agree, this was our project. I took this week off and WE have been wrenching on it almost everyday. Progress is being made. Hope to post a video of it running by Saturday. I hope everyone can share with their children the joy I feel today.
Please dont forget my Scout Sniper Son-in law. We hope to have him home this summer. Thanks Everyone!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!! Successful test fire without the exhaust hooked up or water in it. We wanted to make sure it would start, oil press., etc. before getting too crazy with it. My daughter recorded it on her phone but I dont have it yet. Hopefully, video soon. We are taking a few days break, we worked all last week on it. Sadly, i cant get it polished until the 5th. I was hoping sooner, so we could put the trim on and really make this baby shine before he had to go back to his base.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Almost finished, but i wanted to share this pic. I dont want to give away the details until its complete. The exterior is done. Just need to finish the interior and a few more things. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support, you will understand when its complete.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. The car really looks good.

Quick Reply: Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC