Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caprice tank in 72 A body....vent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Caprice tank in 72 A body....vent?

I'm waiting on a 94-96 caprice tank to go in my 72 442. I've seen pics of the tank and sender and it looks like there is a vent on the sender and another fitting on the tank itself. So my questions are:
Do you hook the vent on the sender/pump to anything? My car does nt have a canister.
Is the big fitting on top of the tank supposed to T into the filler neck to prevent splashback?
I was planning on using marine fuel filler hose between the tank and cap. Other than cutting off the 442s filler neck, what are other options for a cap/filler assembly
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

ttt, anyone?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am right in the middle of this swap also. Are you using the plastic or steel tank? I have already upgraded the pump to a 255lph. From what I can see so far it will require that the trunk floor be boxed about a 1 foot square to clear the sender/outlet and allow the tank to seated as the stock tank.
Anyone have ideas?
I plan to vent to atmosphere with a trap in the hose and a filter in the line as I have done in past swaps.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Bozz, great info, a couple questions.
Did you vent from the center tank mounted fitting or from the sender vent line? I'm guessing it doesn't matter.
I like the one way valve, less chance of spillage. I've seen them for race cars,$$$, but what did you use?
And on the filler neck, did you just cut off the filler from your old tank, or kis there another source for that?

Btw, my 72 cutlass had an early version of a canister. The gas tank was vented to a sealed container with 3 hoses INSIDE THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT! Not to worry, it was at least a foot or two away from the rear ashtrays.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys... Here's a link of someone putting one in a 68 camaro. It might help a bit. Its towards the end of the thread but its a short thread.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116648

Quick Reply: Caprice tank in 72 A body....vent?