Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well--still haven't figured out the VSS 158 issue; my tuner couldn't get any feedback from the guys at HPtuners. Nevertheless w/tuning he couldn't find any bad behavior, although he normally can't get cars to run correctly w/o it. So anyway I picked it up this a.m. and drove it home. Have a couple of things to do before driving it regularly, hope to start next week. But final dyno results in, peak HP @ 385 and ~385 ft lbs from 2200-6200:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cutlass dyno sheet.pdf (326.6 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Goldhawg; 02-25-2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: error
Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swap looks good. You clutch issue should fix itself during break-in. After about 300-500 miles of normal driving your pedal should come up a little.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Um, ok, my 5.3 4 speed is fun to drive. That thing must be great. I'm jealous and should start looking for a 6.0....or maybe a turbo....hmmmm.

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Well--still haven't figured out the VSS 158 issue; my tuner couldn't get any feedback from the guys at HPtuners. Nevertheless w/tuning he couldn't find any bad behavior, although he normally can't get cars to run correctly w/o it. So anyway I picked it up this a.m. and drove it home. Have a couple of things to do before driving it regularly, hope to start next week. But final dyno results in, peak HP @ 385 and ~325 ft lbs from 2200-6200:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Um, ok, my 5.3 4 speed is fun to drive. That thing must be great. I'm jealous and should start looking for a 6.0....or maybe a turbo....hmmmm.
Or both.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

build looks good man just skimmed thru your thread. Must be nice to have a lift in your garage tho!
What HB set up is that?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
build looks good man just skimmed thru your thread. Must be nice to have a lift in your garage tho!
What HB set up is that?
The lift is a necessity. I'm still in decent physical shape but almost 49; I can't be crawling under cars anymore for a job this size. The hydraboost was a hydratech unit I bought from SC&C several years ago. I've subsequently seen several online descriptions of people successfully using Astro units; that's the definite cheapest way to go. But as for HB itself, it finally cured my constant braking issues--it has some serious grip!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

how high are your ceilings? Yea I'm looking into they're kit, been searching the web on HB setups. Definitely needed with a bigger cam. Let me know how the corvette pump does with it, I have a C6 pump in my swap.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build....I am doing the same to my 70 Camaro
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

It's been a while since I visited your thread, but I wanted to say thank you for sharing all the details you have on your problems and troubleshooting. It may not be much consolation, but it does help others including myself to anticipate issues. I am very happy to hear it's running. I'm sure you will work out the gremlins over time.

There are a few people now trying to solve the 158mph VSS issue. I know 85MikeTPI and tiresmokinv8 are facing the same challenge. buddyholly has the issue too and I'm next in line. The only report I've seen of someone fixing it was "cam" and to do that he sent his HPT file to Chris @ HPTuners. Perhaps he could share his HPT file so you can take a look. Or even better maybe Chris can walk someone through it.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unhappy

Lot going on to get my Cutlass finally roadworthy. I've been chasing many gremlins and a major debacle. But all well in hand w/$$$...but that seems to be the way with these cars.

I finally got my tach working off the coil wire, see here for details:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post17415382

My leaking gas tank really was a bad tank--not the rubber o-ring as I thought. Bought a new used one from a local j/y and $50 later we're good to go.

Major debacle was I took it out for a spin in Jan after many rains washed all the salt off the road, and I'd forgotten to lock my hood pins on my aftermarket OAI hood--first time in 20 years. Well you know where this is going...

So after the hood ripped off I purchased the expensive Thorton hood w/a full steel frame--I'm never going to be relying on the hood pins again. I should get it in the body shop for paint in the new few weeks.

Today I finished wiring the trunk--I went ahead and bought a reproduction trunk harness and that saved me a lot of time. And I mounted the ECU on the inside of the fender. You can't see it but I have two 1/2" nylon spacers in between the ecm and the fender to give some room (fender has a curve on the inside) and absorb some vibration. I don't like the way the relays sit, but until I figure out a better bracket to mount them to this will do.

Tomorrow I hope to change out the corvette PS pump that I bought used w/the serpentine setup--it has a slight drip.

I hope to be done with this in a few weeks and driving every nice day!
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-ecu-mounted-w-relays.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 06-24-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still wrapping up loose ends on the car while waiting on getting my hood painted. I have another car being painted at a new local body shop courtesy of my teenage daughter, so I'm waiting to see if I'm happy w/their work prior to giving them my Cutlass.

I finally solved my horn not working on the rewiring; I didn't realize the aftermarket harness had its own horn relay--I didn't need it and the factory horn relay. So after bypassing the factory relay the horn now works!

The next up is I was not happy w/the location of the Impala tank w/stock mounting locations. My W-27 rear axle cover has a slight leak and I don't think I could have gotten it off cuz the tank was so close. I took a small piece of angle iron, drilled a hole and welded a nut on the back side, and then welded it about two inches further back. Then I straightened the existing strap and cut the extra off and was able to use the same hole. I wasn't happy with the strap bend in the front, thought it might straighten out over time so I welded some gussets in. Now the tank has ~1.5" gap from the rear axle cover. Still have to make a cover in the trunk; haven't decided how I want to do that yet.

Today is a beautiful day w/low temps, all sun and little humidity. I'll drive the Cutlass to work with the unpainted hood.
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-old-gas-tank-bracket-location.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-tank-close-w-27-cover.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-gas-tank-w-new-mounts.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-gas-strap-w-o-gussets.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-gas-strap-w-gussets.jpg  

Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update; the hood is repainted and I've been driving to work for the last month or so on every nice day. I still haven't figured out why my fuel gauge doesn't work--the signal off the fuel sending unit drops off when you apply 12v. I replaced the sending unit and the BCA connector from racetronix and it is still there. I've given up for now; I can get a fuel reading by turning the car on after the 3 sec of power stops if I don't then start it. So the only hitch is if I drive it long distance I'll have to calculate. But given I like to stretch my legs every 2 hours or so I'll be stopping for gas anyway.

So, I built a cover plate for my trunk. I cut out a section of a caprice trunk that fits over the bubble, built a small metal frame, welded nuts to the bottom side and bolted to the car. No pic, but I added a new felt liner and have the trunk completely back to normal with spare, jack etc.

Didn't bother even painting it; its under the felt. I may do more one day on this and the fuel sending unit but I just want to drive it for a while.

BTW, I had a mysterious 6th gear wouldn't go into 5th gear, but that went away and now the tranny is working fine.

Oh, did I mention that this thing is a beast?!
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-gas-tank-cover-plate-frame.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-gas-tank-cover-plate-holes-drilled.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-impala-cover-plate.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear things are going well with the car. By the way how did you resolve the speedometer problem?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well--
I have 1700 miles on the combo and just got it out for the spring. Still fighting minor gremlins that keep me from enjoying. The latest is the Griffen radiator is leaking in the fins. I can't believe it--I've really only had a few months of actual driving and the radiator dies. Also have a minor drip leak of oil from my oil pressure sending unit. I think I don't have enough threads where I tapped it to seal--today I did pull it out and really loaded it up w/Teflon tape. Maybe that will help. And I have never ending belt squeak and chatter. I've replaced the belt w/Goodyear gatorback and it quieted down for a while, but squeak always comes back.

But I just hit click on buying a replacement Griffen for $267 on Amazon. I want to be driving soon--maybe I'll be on the right side of the bell curve for quality on this purchase since clearly I was on the left side for the last one.

Pictures from last fall attached to show I actually have had some fun with it.
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-cutlass-driving.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-cutlass-parked-gas-station.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-cutlass-grass.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-cutlass-corn-fields.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure is good lookin!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good, finally back on the road! Maybe we can meet up somewhere in between this summer to compare notes.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my new griffen radiator in, and then the new petcock leaked. Pulled the one out of the old radiator and installed it, so now no leaks. But now I have a new problem--I don't seem to have coolant flowing. The fan comes on after running a few minutes, but both hoses to the radiator are cold at the radiator, while hot near the water pump. Hard to think that a new radiator could be messed up; wondering if I somehow have an air pocket in the engine that needs to bleed out, or could the thermostat have failed shut?

How would you all go about troubleshooting?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Remove the radiator cap. It will be easy to see it flowing once it warms up.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
Remove the radiator cap. It will be easy to see it flowing once it warms up.
I did; it's not flowing. question is how do i figure out why? Seems very odd that its right after leaky radiator swap. So is radiator somehow plugged, waterpump not working, or thermostat shut?
Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Thermostat most likely then.
But pull off the upper/lower hose, stick a hose in one. You'll know if it's plugged in about 10 seconds.

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I did; it's not flowing. question is how do i figure out why? Seems very odd that its right after leaky radiator swap. So is radiator somehow plugged, waterpump not working, or thermostat shut?

Quick Reply: 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH