Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. Before I teamed up with Tim on this I was going to get a new digital/analog gauge cluster for the BelAir to the tune of around $700. Obviously, I will be using our solution now (in engineering, we call this 'eating our own dogfood') - So if it ain't good enough for my cruiser, it ain't done.

hope you wait it out, but if you don't I understand. The new digital clusters are freakin sweet
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by invader59
The new digital clusters are freakin sweet
That they are. I'm looking for a sponsor............
Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
I don`t remember seeing anything in car-craft, hot rod, or chevy high performance, I must have missed it.

I did look into the dragon aero one a bit, but IIRC you needed to buy a secondary electronic ratio adapter box that made it as expensive as the cable X. For the last few cars I did, I hid electronic speedo guts behind the stock face
If you need to adjust a pulsed signal up/down, this works fine. It's DIY, but even I was able to assemble it in around an hour.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5435

I used to use the Cable X and mech speedo in my car, although recently changed clocks to fully electronic, and needed to adjust the speedo signal to read correctly.
Cable X was ok for me, but over 100mph it always stopped working.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Sub'd
Hoping for an alternate to new gauges.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
You might want to search for some reviews on the cablex it seems about 50-50 on satisfied and non satisfied users of the cablex, who knows you might be a satisfied customer.
Is this what your talking about....

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
The Cable X Box is JUNK you need to talk to some of the guys running them and you will see what i am talking about.
First part of 50%

Originally Posted by DGGM WX3
I've been using the cable-x for a couple years now, and it's alright... I guess. This set up looks much better.
And the second half

I have had 4 Cable-X's, the first one I put in my Nova, it's been in there since 2001, and has over 130,000 miles on it and it works perfectly........ The last one I bought about 2 years ago, and it never did work right everytime I drove the truck it was in, sometimes it wouldn't work at all. It seems as though their quality has really gone down hill latley, as everytime I bought one it was just slightly worse than the one before. Most people who are buying they're first one now, if they have the problems I had with my last one, I can understand how they say they are junk.

On a side note, is there a list to get on to try out one of these new ones you guys are making? Because if they REALLY are only going to be $150, I'd definitley buy one to try it out, my brown Nova is just begging for some attention!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you need to adjust a pulsed signal up/down, this works fine. It's DIY, but even I was able to assemble it in around an hour.

http://www.jaycar.co.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5435
I'd consider that for what I plan on doing, or the eBay motorbike one is assembled for about $45 more.

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
On a side note, is there a list to get on to try out one of these new ones you guys are making? Because if they REALLY are only going to be $150, I'd definitley buy one to try it out, my brown Nova is just begging for some attention!
Me too.

I'd like to build my own stock-look, elec. guts speedo but in the interest of just getting stuff done, I would prefer to get the tailhousing mod and have both output options available at all times.

But, this is (for now) at a price point that makes it extremely competitive w/ the tailhousing mod.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

I'd seen some motorbike ones, although they seemed to offer a smaller range of adjustment ? At least the ones I was looking at anyway when searching Hayabusa clocks ( that's what I used and needed adjusted )

It is very easy to build though
Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM

I'd like to add my name to the list willing to prototype test.

I'm buiding a 1949 Cadillac convertible to look very original on the outside as well as the interior but equipped with a new 6.2L supercharged LSA and backed with a 6L90 automatic.

The only shop I've found to retrofit my original gauge cluster is Classic Instruments and they want $3500 and up. I'm sure it would look like a piece of jewelry and function well but that's too much for me!

Please contact me as to how we can proceed. I've got the original cluster in my hand and I can ship it off to you if that makes sense.

If your system isn't available in the next month or so I'm most likely going to buy an Autometer package and not use my original cluster or cluster bezel.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails New mechanical speedometer drive solution-gauge-cluster.jpg   New mechanical speedometer drive solution-front.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Since this is still in R&D phase, I wouldn't count on any conversions for 6 mounts or so but I'll let them chime in. Me, I can wait. My Jeep isn't going anywhere and when it does, the GPS will do fine until the package is ready.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW that would be sweet, I would hold out or if you can change out the tail shaft housing like they do on the 4L85E, would be a shame to not keep it looking like it was! Running down the road with an LSA and not to be able to know without raising the hood, cool ride.

Originally Posted by Fine 49
I'd like to add my name to the list willing to prototype test.

I'm buiding a 1949 Cadillac convertible to look very original on the outside as well as the interior but equipped with a new 6.2L supercharged LSA and backed with a 6L90 automatic.

The only shop I've found to retrofit my original gauge cluster is Classic Instruments and they want $3500 and up. I'm sure it would look like a piece of jewelry and function well but that's too much for me!

Please contact me as to how we can proceed. I've got the original cluster in my hand and I can ship it off to you if that makes sense.

If your system isn't available in the next month or so I'm most likely going to buy an Autometer package and not use my original cluster or cluster bezel.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice project! I spoke with Classic Instruments about doing the cluster for my Brougham and they said the trip odometer would no longer work.

I'm going to either run a tailshaft with mechanical output or possibly what is being discussed here.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Surely with the amount of motors and electronics out there, it should be a relatively simple task ?

Obviously someone needs the knowhow though.

The Abbot X unit certainly doesnt look complicated. Just big, bulky and expensive. A compact unit like shown here already looks fantastic. The motor is likely bigger than needed simply because it has to drive a cable etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Sweet project! I love the hell out of that cluster We're thrashing on this thing as fast as we can, but still only in the alpha testing phase. Barring significant setbacks, our goal is to get it into beta by mid-May and into production mid June.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

would thetre be an issue connecting the motor right to the back of the speedo instead of driving the cable? I would think it could nsap right on the back like the cable does and the motor could be smaller since no cable to turn or is the unit just too big to fit under the dash?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
would thetre be an issue connecting the motor right to the back of the speedo instead of driving the cable? I would think it could nsap right on the back like the cable does and the motor could be smaller since no cable to turn or is the unit just too big to fit under the dash?
Ummm, that's exactly what they're working on.....
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

AHHH!!! I got the impression this was a piece that would hook up under the car to the speedo cable.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zipster
Here are some pics.....

sorry for the fuzzy pic, its 3 1/2 inches off the back of the cluster.
This is how we are doing it. the motor might change a little, but the rest of it is the same. There will only be a slim wire harness coming off the motor and going to a small 3in x3in x 1in box for the electronics.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

I posed the same query here. Although someone more technically minded mind understand the replies better lol

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...hanical+speedo
Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I posed the same query here. Although someone more technically minded mind understand the replies better lol

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...hanical+speedo

Wow! Did he mention something about a flux capacitor in that?????

Quick Reply: New mechanical speedometer drive solution