Sponsored by:

LSX In 91 C4 Corvette My Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miker2
just look at the rear end of the crank
Im buying off ebay. Ive been looking at 5.3's, so I shouldnt have that issue anyway, but Ill also avoid the early years now too. Peace. h
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemivette
That is new info to me. Thanks! Do you have a part number, or engine code? So I dont get that one. Peace. h
This is what I was talking about.. Thanks for clearing that up Mike.
Dont forget to have the tone ring moved back to match the VSS they also had to clearance the inside of the tail-shaft a bit. I used a 96 Corvette VSS and it was plug and play with my 99 PCM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been having trouble getting the Veh into gear. I have to wiggle it around until i find the gear I need. After speaking with Shiftworks it looks like the problem is the shift lever radius. The 4l60E is about 1/2 inch longer.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like it's time to bring out the welder.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Looks like it's time to bring out the welder.
I forgot to add that I will be purchasing a kit from Shiftworks It will be much cleaner and offer some adjustment. They have these in different lengths:

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That takes all the fun from it.

Cool kit, nice to know something like that exists. I always modified what I had or made what I needed.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

So Im acquiring some parts here, and there, to make sure they are available still. Picked up the trans adapter, and tail housing, and I have a couple q's about tranny's.

I found a place that will do a truck motor, and trans, with the wiring done, so its a stand alone system, and will only require power, and ground, but has provisions for tach, and check engine. They say they can get me into this setup, with less than 100k, for $2000. Is this a good price? Seems to be.

So if I go this route, is the wiring compatible with the LS manifold I just bought, or will all of this have to be swapped to an LS harness?

Second, when looking at trann's, are the 4wd, and 2wd the same? When I see them in pics, the 2wd seems to be longer. Granted on the 4wd, all you see is the output shaft, but even that doesnt look long enough to accommodate an 8-9in tail housing.

Lastly, Concerning the shifter. Is there one I can buy that doesnt require modifying? Maybe a newer one like a 96? Or an aftermarket one.

Im trying to gather all the parts to do this project over the winter. Thanks for the help guys, you're knowledge is priceless. h
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So Im acquiring some parts here, and there, to make sure they are available still. Picked up the trans adapter, and tail housing, and I have a couple q's about tranny's.

I found a place that will do a truck motor, and trans, with the wiring done, so its a stand alone system, and will only require power, and ground, but has provisions for tach, and check engine. They say they can get me into this setup, with less than 100k, for $2000. Is this a good price? Seems to be.
That sounds like a good price..Includes motor wiring and PCM right?

So if I go this route, is the wiring compatible with the LS manifold I just bought, or will all of this have to be swapped to an LS harness?
If you are going with Corvette accessories the intake will clear but not with the truck. The injectors and rails are different and will not fit the LS1 intake. Im not sure about the injector connectors I would ask the shop you are getting the wirring from. It is not hard to swap the injector connectors over. The PCV is different and you will probably have to figure out what to do with the Fuel Pressure regulator unless you are going with a Corvette filter. If you get that engine you will need all of this plus a diff pan and accessories. The price is good however.

I found this https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...injectors.html

Second, when looking at trann's, are the 4wd, and 2wd the same? When I see them in pics, the 2wd seems to be longer. Granted on the 4wd, all you see is the output shaft, but even that doesnt look long enough to accommodate an 8-9in tail housing.
I believe the inputs shafts are different I would stick with a 2WD.

Lastly, Concerning the shifter. Is there one I can buy that doesn't require modifying? Maybe a newer one like a 96? Or an aftermarket one. I did not need to modify the shifter I'm pretty sure a 18$ lever is all I need.

Im trying to gather all the parts to do this project over the winter. Thanks for the help guys, you're knowledge is priceless. h
I'm exited for you..

Last edited by LSCha0s; 09-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the read my friend! These guys really seem to be willing to work with me. So maybe if I tell them they can keep there truck intake, they'll give me some flex fuel lnjectors.

I assume that includes the computer. They say "Stand alone", and I don't see how it would work without. I really commend you for spending all that time doing your own harness, but with the tumor my mind isn't what it used to be. Especially my memory.

How about the shifter any ideas there? I can't imagine your adaptor was too expensive, but was just wondering if using a newer shifter would cure the issue.

Peace my friend, I'm exited too! Now I have to lavish some attention on the wife, so she doesn't notice when I'm not around. Lol. h
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

the output shaft is different.you have to disassemble the entire transmission to change it.just did that on a 4L65E from an 04 hummer H2. the rest of the parts dont have to be changed.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Teching In

the output shaft is different.you have to disassemble the entire transmission to change it.just did that on a 4L65E from an 04 hummer H2. the rest of the parts dont have to be changed.
Cool thanks Mike. They seem to have a pretty good variety, so I'll stick to 2wd. They have low mile 2010 van tranny, that was behind a 4.3 six. Is that the same? Probably didn't get much abuse behind a v6. h
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks Mike. They seem to have a pretty good variety, so I'll stick to 2wd. They have low mile 2010 van tranny, that was behind a 4.3 six. Is that the same? Probably didn't get much abuse behind a v6. h

i'm not 100% sure they're the same.but i would go for it if it was me doing the buying.you may want to switch to the corvette servo for better 1-2 shift.that's a cheap but worthwhile mod.--easy to do,just check youtube.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

i'm not 100% sure they're the same.but i would go for it if it was me doing the buying.you may want to switch to the corvette servo for better 1-2 shift.that's a cheap but worthwhile mod.--easy to do,just check youtube.
Thanks again! How about the shifter any idias there? h
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not need to modify the shifter I'm pretty sure a 18$ lever is all I need. My 4l60E has a long shaft on the shifter so I went with the 4L lever that turned out to be too long.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cut 1/2 inch out of the the 4L60e linkage.
The linkage looks like crap with a huge weld in the middle but it works great.

I am now going to order one the same size from Shiftworks.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm happy to report the Vette put down 391 RWHP.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Great Numbers! I am about to do a swap on my '91 Vette to an aftermarket ECM due to tuning being such a PIA on the old 727 computer. The question I have is did you ever get your ABS working? Looking at the wiring diagrams I don't think the cruise control nor the FX3 suspension needs the ECM, but I am wondering about the ABS. Do I have to leave my old computer in just to get these items to work? Thanks a bunch for all the great info in the previous 11 pages!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calvinlc
Great Numbers! I am about to do a swap on my '91 Vette to an aftermarket ECM due to tuning being such a PIA on the old 727 computer. The question I have is did you ever get your ABS working? Looking at the wiring diagrams I don't think the cruise control nor the FX3 suspension needs the ECM, but I am wondering about the ABS. Do I have to leave my old computer in just to get these items to work? Thanks a bunch for all the great info in the previous 11 pages!
My ABS does work it has come on few times. As I mentioned on the CF you are better off keeping both. I'm putting the 91 ECM back in place to feed the A/C, ABS, and CCM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
My ABS does work it has come on few times. As I mentioned on the CF you are better off keeping both. I'm putting the 91 ECM back in place to feed the A/C, ABS, and CCM.
Sorry, I didn't take long enough to make the connection that it was you who posted over there If your speedo and your ABS work that sounds pretty good to me, since mine is pretty much a track car the AC is long gone. I assume the outputs you are going to use from the stock ECM will be the VSS and the serial bus?? Although I suppose the LS controller will need the VSS input as well. What other inputs are you planning on hooking up and are you planning on doing it with redundant sensors? Thanks a bunch for your help!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calvinlc
Sorry, I didn't take long enough to make the connection that it was you who posted over there If your speedo and your ABS work that sounds pretty good to me, since mine is pretty much a track car the AC is long gone. I assume the outputs you are going to use from the stock ECM will be the VSS and the serial bus?? Although I suppose the LS controller will need the VSS input as well. What other inputs are you planning on hooking up and are you planning on doing it with redundant sensors? Thanks a bunch for your help!
If you look back at the thread all the wiring is outlined. I used the out from the LS PCM to feed the tach and speedo. Most of the sensors are stand alone on your car. I had an old school temp sender machined down to fit the LS head. For oil sender I used an adapter and mt original sender. Your Injector, A/C, and EGR wiring is pretty much all you have to worry about everything else will stay.

These diagrams might be helpful.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...agrams19901991

Quick Reply: LSX In 91 C4 Corvette My Swap