Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what im interested in. i wouldnt consider swapping in the ls1 without a manual transmission. i talked to someone on the jag forums that was working on the ls1 with a 6spd manual transmission swap. i wonder if its the same person
Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default XK8- 6speed

Yup, probably the same guy.....

He'll have some pics back to me soon- then we can check out what's been done.

Funny, I considered doing a 6 speed on the prototype car, but didn't think there would be much interest......
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exciting thread. Great to see that others have been taking on LSX engines in Jaguars.

Last year I put a 2010 Camaro LS3, with M6, into my 2000 S-type. Progress was swift, until April 2011 when I took a job that has away from home 80% of the time. I put a lot of time into understanding what it would take to build a GM CAN to FORD/Jaguar SPC J1850 converter. We selected components and laid out the converter, but I didn't have time to capture/backwards engineer the Jag messages. (With no running S-type available to capture messages, very difficult to do) Therefore, I took the brute force route and have rewired all the critical sub-systems to use GM CAN modules.
(BCM, Instrument cluster, EBCM...) I had to abandon the Camaro modules and go with Pontiac G8 modules because of GM's Global A security crap.

It would be really interesting to find out more about your CAN to CAN converter. Since I am baselined on a different model Jaguar, I would like to find out if an E38 ECM would be compatible with your box.
Attached Thumbnails More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too-s-type-ls3.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of another thing i forgot to ask. say instead i wanted to use an LQ9 with an LS1 head, would i be able to use your software?

also say i wanted to mod either the ls1 or the lq9 with the ls1 head, could i use an engine management software? (such as haltech)
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Default Other engine controllers....

Honestly, I have no idea if our interface would work with a Haltech controller- we've never looked it. Other than that, we are good to go with most OE GM LS PCMs up through 2006 or so.

What you need to be careful of is this- some later GM PCM's went to a serial based AC request, meaning the request from the car to turn on the AC went through the original body control module and then was sent to the PCM on a serial data line. You'll want to stay away from that so you won't need any other GM modules besides the PCM. The Jag chassis provides a +12V dedicated AC request signal, just like most earlier GM's, so they are totally compatible. This way you can retain all of the built in AC system control in the GM PCM (under and over pressure protection, fan speed control when AC is on, etc.,. ) Whichever PCM you select should have a distinct "AC request" input in the wiring schematic- that will make things a lot easier. Check the wiring diagram to confirm that. I know for sure all of the 98-02 Camaro/Firebird use the early system and most trucks before 2005.

Does that help??

Thanks and let me know

Andrew

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 11-23-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Excellent work
Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The kit as it stands right now is $1600 more or less right? What have you addressed since you last post, ie. will the 6l80e trans fit, lsd options and is the CAN system fully worked out for the dash? Since most swaps require custom harnesses how is that addressed? I always wanted to do a hard top XK8 and with them being so cheap, now is a good time. Lastly do you have to use the GTO FEAD? My goal would be to stick an all aluminum '05+ 5.3 with the 4l60e.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Default XK8 LS Conversion

Hi,

Yes we have made more progress on the LS XK8 conversions since this was posted, primarily in some increased function for our interface (we now have in dash control of check engine light and parking brake warning, and will be adding reverse light control as well shortly). Also, we now have info on alternative engine packaging schemes (like using the truck accessory parts instead of just the Camaro/GTO style pieces).

We have not really seen much customer pull for the 6L80E, although I am pretty sure it will fit, physically. We have just one customer using one in an XJ8, but no XK8's.

The limited slip diff (with more performance oriented gears) is something we're looking into, but will take some work.

One key note- We have always had CAN capability. This is the only way to get the dash to work properly and turn off all extra warning lights. I assume you saw our Youtube videos.....

I'm not sure what you mean by GTO FEAD. Any extra GTO electronic parts used in our XK8 prototype were only there to keep as much of the GTO wiring as stock as possible (believe it or not this is a requirement for emissions compliance in California), so we went that route instead of a custom harness. The XK8 itself does not need any special harness- that is only a requirement of the LS engine/trans.

Properly set up, your 05 5.3/4L60E should be fine for any XK8, 97-02

Right now the XK8 LS kits are $1295 (mechanical) and $395 (interface) and they are sold only together as a set.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.....

Thanks

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The FEAD is basically the front accessories, ie. how the alternator, p/s and a/c are mounted. I went to a C5 front drive and it was wider than the truck, but did not stick out as far. As soon as I find my XK8 I will be in touch. Can you give details on everything in your mechanical kit? Don't want any surprises. The cars may be cheap but the crap they need is not.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Default XK8 Info

Got it- FEAD- Front End Accessory Drive

Unfortunately, the Corvette pieces are slung too far rearward on the block and interfere with our mounts and other hardware. But one of my customers who tried that actually traded his Corvette pieces for Camaro parts and made money....

The mechanical kit includes the engine mount adaptor set, rear trans mount adaptor, shifter pieces, power steering adaptor, cooling system piping, driveshaft adaptors, AC pressure port interface, and our manual, which steps you through the whole process. The key truly is the interface- the electronics. That's what makes this conversion really work. Without it, the job wouldn't be worth doing...

Get in touch with us when you're ready. Too bad you're not looking for a convertible- I have a cherry 98 with ultra low miles (and no motor/trans) in house- not sure what to do with it....

Thanks

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me a price on the 'vert. Seems you can find the convertibles sub '99 for $5k to 6K all day running but I want to haul azz and just don't feel warm and fuzzy doing so with a soft top, plus everyone and their grandma has the convertible. The hardtop looks more distinguished and do I dare say more Aston Martin like. Can you share what will "not" work after the swap? (electronic wise) You mentioned driveshaft adapters so need to get a modified driveshaft?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure what you answer here, may help a lot people on the fence about this project. I had initially planned to do a 911, but that's way over my head and budget, this actually looks like fun and I get to keep my ac.

Glad the F-body FEAD works, because I did not care to spend another $500 for C5 accessories.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Default Pricing and other info

Give me a call on these- easier than Email.

Four Zero Eight 839 5569

Andrew
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Called, left a message and pm'd
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Andrew, Never looked under a Jag before. On the XK8 Convertible, does it look feasible to do a rear mount turbo? Any room for the piping?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
Hi Andrew, Never looked under a Jag before. On the XK8 Convertible, does it look feasible to do a rear mount turbo? Any room for the piping?
That's a good darn question.

Quick Reply: More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too