Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Camaro 5.3/4 speed swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 81 Camaro 5.3/4 speed swap question?

Hey whats up guys, I'm installing a 5.3 into my 81 camaro and i really wanted to bang some gears so i have been looking for a 4 speed transmission at a good price (b/c i can get a th350 for free practically) I got the car complete minus trans/engine for $500 with good body, 5.3 was $700 with harness and all that. I'm trying to build this car up for under $3000.

Anyway i found a guy with Super T10 (that he thinks is an m20 muncie lol). It is the all aluminum because the last 3 numbers are 903. Included with the transmission is the clutch, pressure plate, bellhousing, cross member, driveshaft, shifter, shifter linkage all for $300.

I know this is probably a good deal but I'm not sure if I will need anything else besides the pedal assembly and clutch cable. I dont wanna buy this package and find out i have to buy a bunch more stuff for money i don't have lol.

The only other question i had was if i buy a speed sensor for the trans (@ www.magsensors.com p/n 413022-60) where should i install it in the transmission? input shaft, output shaft, inside case? Thanks for your help...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the T10 a 10 or 26 spline input. Either will work, but you'll need different parts. I just put a 10 spline muncie on a 5.3 in a 72 Olds, my build thread is on here.
You can use the dakota digital pass thru GM VSS and still use your mechanical speedo. The hall effect sensor will not work.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a super t10 with the 26 spline input shaft and the turbo 400 style output shaft spline. do you have a part number on the speed sensor that would be correct? where do you mount it? Also since you already did swap you are perfect to ask another question....

Did you only need the ls2/ls7 pilot bearing, 4.8/6.0 flywheel, and the correct clutch for trans (ex: mine the 26 spline)?

what starter did you use? the one that matched the flywheel (off 4.8L)? did it fit in bellhousing? Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You'll need an LS7 pilot bearing (SDparts)
A SBC bell housing wont fit the flywheel, you'll need a BBC 621 bell housing with an adjustable pivot stud. Keisler makes a nice one with the extra LS bolt hole. An 02 camaro LS1 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will bolt up (ebay). Use the flywheel to crank bolts for the engine (GM dealer). The disc splines extend slightly beyond the input shaft splines, but that doesn't seem to make much difference.
The other option is the sachs flywheel and an old school 11" BBC clutch (Oreiley Auto). The flywheel is thicker (and a lot heavier), but the disc splines are fully seated on the input shaft.
The clutch fork geometry will be much better with a longer throwout bearing (about 1 3/4")
Use the starter that came on the motor. You might have to clearance the bell housing edge a little.
Dakota Digital has the GM pass thru sensor on their website. Also get the flexible extender. It's not listed on their site, but I've done 2 swaps and neither would work with the solid extender that comes with the sensor. It mounts to the speedo output on the trans and the mechanical speedo cable runs off the VSS.
You'll also want the 1" setback plates so you can use a stock driveshaft.

Quick Reply: 81 Camaro 5.3/4 speed swap question?