Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortest oil filter possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shortest oil filter possible?

So what's the shortest oil filter that will screw onto an LS1 oil pan.

The PF46 "short" filter isn't short enough.

I have a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler and would like to keep the oil filter from hanging below the pan.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not put the filter inline up out of the way?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
Why not put the filter inline up out of the way?
That would requre buying 4 more fittings and remote adapter.

These projects tend to nickle and dime you.... I'm just trying to nickle and dime it back for once.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar issue. Anyone know what the shortest filter is for a ls1?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by xXLindquistXx
I know this is an old thread but I'm having a similar issue. Anyone know what the shortest filter is for a ls1?
There aren't really any filters that are much shorter, and then you sacrifice filtration and increase pressure drop. The proper way to add an oil cooler to an LS is to use the oil cooler take off port above the filter.

We make a variety of non-thermostatic and thermostatic oil cooler adapters that bolt to that location: http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling...rs-c-3_18.html

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
There aren't really any filters that are much shorter, and then you sacrifice filtration and increase pressure drop. The proper way to add an oil cooler to an LS is to use the oil cooler take off port above the filter.

We make a variety of non-thermostatic and thermostatic oil cooler adapters that bolt to that location: http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling...rs-c-3_18.html
i have one of your adapters to feed my turbo and also have a oil temp sensor and oil pressure sensor on it as well. thats why i got a sandwich adapter with the thermostat inside the adapter. i like the oil cooler adapter with the thermostat inside but then that only has one port which could feed the turbo but nothing for oil pressure sensor and oil temp sensor. what would you recommend in this situation? and is a 180 or 212 degreee be better?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by xXLindquistXx
i have one of your adapters to feed my turbo and also have a oil temp sensor and oil pressure sensor on it as well. thats why i got a sandwich adapter with the thermostat inside the adapter. i like the oil cooler adapter with the thermostat inside but then that only has one port which could feed the turbo but nothing for oil pressure sensor and oil temp sensor. what would you recommend in this situation? and is a 180 or 212 degreee be better?
Okay, I see the problem. I would recommend using a tee somewhere on your oil cooler line to feed the turbo. Use the sensor port on the oil cooler adapter for the temp sensor, so you get accurate temp readings. The oil pressure sensor can be on a tee anywhere on the oil cooler line as well.

There are several different types of tees and sensor port manifolds you can use. It depends on how much space you have and where you need the sensor to be.

Some options here: http://www.improvedracing.com/an-ada...ort-p-294.html

And here: http://www.improvedracing.com/an-fit...-61_12_39.html

If you need a -10AN tee with a -4AN or -6An on the tee for the turbo oil supply line, we can get you one. It's just not listed on the website. You can also use a reducer after the tee.

If you need more help, just let us know or shoot us an email.

As far as temp goes, either one is perfectly safe, it's up to what you do with the car and personal preference. Generally those who race and run thicker oil, or live in cold climates, will want the higher temp. Others prefer to keep their oil cooler for more wiggle room when you do put the engine under load.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: Shortest oil filter possible?