Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog coolant temp gauge and sender? Autometer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog coolant temp gauge and sender? Autometer?

I have been through a bunch of threads, but I just can't seem to find a good solution for coolant temp. I have a '02 LS1, so I apparently have no analog signal for coolant temp that I can use. SO...

1) is there a simple pre-packaged Autometer gauge that threads into the cylinder head? Doubt it...

2) If not then will this adaptor work (and read temperature accurately) with an Autometer electrical sender temp gauge? Seen a few people recommend it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2277/

gauge has a 1/8 NPT sender, and the adaptor is 1/8 NPT to 12 mm like the cyl head hole.

Seems like a dumb question...I have to assume that Autometer probably intended them to be used together in this type of application, but there are no pics of the sending unit so I cannot be sure it reaches into the coolant flow. Anyone using this setup? if so how does it compare to the PCM temp?

Any other suggestions on how to rig up a factor sender to an electrical gauge would also be appreciated. ie. calibrating it for the gauge with resistors..etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just re-tapped the 12 mm hole in the head....I made the head a 3/8 NPT...put grease on the tap and it keeps 90% of the chipped by getting them stuck in the grease.
A few little bits of aluminum is not going to hurt the motor.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
I just re-tapped the 12 mm hole in the head....I made the head a 3/8 NPT...put grease on the tap and it keeps 90% of the chipped by getting them stuck in the grease.
A few little bits of aluminum is not going to hurt the motor.

Wow, you are much braver than I. I would be afraid of botching it and having to buy a new head. That is a good idea, i suppose then you can use the standard Auto meter fittings and a mechanical gauge
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but is there enough meat in the 12mm to 1/8 NPT adapter to drill it out to 1/4 for an Autometer guage?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so - the 12mm fitting is pretty small to start with. I would stick with a 12mm to 1/8" adapter if possible, and find a 1/8" sender.

Quick Reply: Analog coolant temp gauge and sender? Autometer?