Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Using Autometer Speedometer with E38 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Using Autometer Speedometer with E38 ECM

Well I have gotten most my LY6/4L80E swap done in my Nova, and now working on the smaller things. I have gotten to the point of trying to install the Autometer electronic speedometer and was looking for some advice.
How has this been done before? Is it as simple as just splicing a wire off the high VSS signal to the gauge (like the instructions say), or do I need to find the pin off of the E38 that sends a speed signal. I have read before where people ran into problems when following Autometer's instructions, which is mainly why I am asking.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No E38 here, but be aware that you may need to bump up whatever signal you use with the resistor trick (much like you might need to do for the tach).

My speedo works about 1/2 of the times I start my truck, autometer says the signal must be too weak. Just need time to do some more fun wiring.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. Is there anyone that has successfully done this?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I still have my LS1/4L80 in my 02 Bird, but have been thinking about changing out the PCM to an aftermarket PCM and had no idea what to do for tach or Speedo, sounds like ya'll might have the answer. I will be subscribing to see what you come up with.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Just to update...
It turns it works fine if you just follow autometer's directions. All I did was pull the signal from splicing into the high VSS signal going to the ECM, hook up ignition and ground and do the speedometer calibration and it works well.
There is a little issue with the signal because the speed will bounce around just occasionally but the scan gauge did the same thing so I think that might be an issue with the sender, ECM, etc.

Quick Reply: Help Using Autometer Speedometer with E38 ECM