Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do I need to get started?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What else do I need to get started?

Building a 55 olds 88 sedan custom & have an LS2 and 4L60E from a low mile GTO. The Olds was a mess, rusty floors and previous owner partially grafted an old Trans Am stub on it. I've cleaned up the sheet metal issues and had a FatMan front IFS welded on.

I have the FatMan tubular motor mount kit with LS adapters and an F-body oil pan kit from PACE.

I'd like to go ahead and mock-up the motor and get the mounts welded in place.

The FaMan set-up has front mount rack and pinion so I probably won't have trouble with clearance there.

What else do I need to have before locking down the motor location?

Headers?
Steering column? Considering Flaming River column.

Do I just find a good spot for the motor and trans and try to get a 3.5 degree down angle?

Appreciate any help getting started.

Joe
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you pretty much have it setup. I would definitely have the headers and steering linkage in place prior to locking it down. They can make a big difference in location, in little ways. It would suck to have everything in its final resting spot then find out the headers don't clear by fractions of an inch. Post up some pics.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Default 55 olds

Thanks,

Here's a couple pictures of the car. I need to figure out which headers to buy. I will search over on the tri-five forums as it's probably pretty similar geometry. Maybe.......

I've been doing Olds A-body restorations for so many years, this is my first "custom". I am stoked to get this thing running. Having a blast learning to weld and thinking about the cool custom ideas for the interior and electronics.

The Fatman setup went in nice and the sheet metal just bolted right up.

Will try to keep posting updates as I get things done. I definitely don't move as fast as some of you guys.

Was hoping to get the body and chassis stripped and in primer, but the body shop is giving me fits, so I may just wait until Fall for that and dig into the drive train mock-up.
Attached Thumbnails What else do I need to get started?-back-4-wheels.jpg   What else do I need to get started?-outside6.jpg   What else do I need to get started?-rack-installed.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neat car!!! If you want look in the for sale ads here on tech a guy had a new set headers for sale for a tri-five with rack and pinion steering. He was asking about half price of new.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0 1955
Neat car!!! If you want look in the for sale ads here on tech a guy had a new set headers for sale for a tri-five with rack and pinion steering. He was asking about half price of new.
You cannot assume that everything will interchange from a Chevrolet on the 55-57 cars. They weren't really like A-bodies and later GMs where everything interchanged.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Heck, the only thing I'm assuming is that everything I will need to purchase for this build from here on out is NOT made to fit a 55 olds 88 sedan.........

Gonna have to figure it out one piece at a time like everyone else seems to......I'll check the adds out. Thanks!

Quick Reply: What else do I need to get started?