Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my RX-7. Won't be fixing it again..... It's over

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXinMS
That does suck. I dont know why anyone would call you out for not wanting to fix it even with all the work involved. At least now you know what it took to get to that point and to add repair to that would be another headache in itself. Nice to see you are still here with us!
THanks bro. I really don't see repairing it as an option. If I were to go that route I believe it would be cheaper to build a new tube chassis car. The rockers are bent up bad, doors damaged, quarters don't look to be repairable. I would have to spend a ton of money in a car that I've been doing that to for a long time, I would just rather start fresh. I doubt I could find someone to do this type of work that wouldn't just tell me to find another car. Next car will be much closer to a stock chassis. Just glad to still be walking & talking after getting out of it.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

At least you are keeping a positive outlook on it and not kicking your own *** for anything. i've forgotten to latch hood pins on my drag car twice and when it was stock the hood blew open on it's own. So that's (3) windshields and hoods and once it hit so hard, the hood slammed the roof down onto the roll bar.

It's a pretty ferocious car, your next one will be better. My second car has only 470 rwhp but it's a true street car. I'm getting older though...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

That **** will buff out

That looked like a bad as swap, hate to see you leaving it. Hopefully you find a nice roller to drop that motor into.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the wreck, did the car go straight before with the current suspension setup? I know in my rx7 I had to be careful getting on it the first time we changed something in the suspension, being a 4 link bar, a turn one way or another on the bars and it'd go left or right HARD when it spun.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn man sorry bout the car. i think you should fix it
Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skinnies
Sorry to hear about the wreck, did the car go straight before with the current suspension setup? I know in my rx7 I had to be careful getting on it the first time we changed something in the suspension, being a 4 link bar, a turn one way or another on the bars and it'd go left or right HARD when it spun.
The car would track straight as long as it wasn't spinning. The alignment was good enough to take hands off stewing wheel and it was fine. As soon as it spun the tires hard the rear came around. A differential would have prevented this I think. The spool made it steer because one tire has more traction.

@ ahhwataday : Really don't see fixing it as an option as I stated before. If you'd like to buy it and try to fix it you are more than welcome to, but as for me: I'm not doing anything more than stopping it down to sell it for parts.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

It's not unheard of having one slick slightly bigger as a factory "blem" that fits within tolerance.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Skyjacker
The car would track straight as long as it wasn't spinning. The alignment was good enough to take hands off stewing wheel and it was fine. As soon as it spun the tires hard the rear came around. A differential would have prevented this I think. The spool made it steer because one tire has more traction.
Mine is the same way, it can drive straight, but with preload in it, as soon as you get on it and it spins it'll turn quickly on you. I was asking if it drove straight before you did the ls swap with all the current suspension, of if you changed something in the suspension before you did the ls swap. Sounds like something in the rear suspension isn't right, the front end alignment shouldn't affect it like it did.

If the frame is straight from the firewall back, someone could easily buy the car and tube the front of it. How much are you wanting for it minus motor? Whats the details on the glide?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks. I wouldn't have gone 60%-70% throttle at all knowing that thing slides in the rear with skinnies on the front.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skinnies
Mine is the same way, it can drive straight, but with preload in it, as soon as you get on it and it spins it'll turn quickly on you. I was asking if it drove straight before you did the ls swap with all the current suspension, of if you changed something in the suspension before you did the ls swap. Sounds like something in the rear suspension isn't right, the front end alignment shouldn't affect it like it did.

If the frame is straight from the firewall back, someone could easily buy the car and tube the front of it. How much are you wanting for it minus motor? Whats the details on the glide?
If I were to sell it like it sits, I would need $3000. That's with no motor or transmission. I was looking at adding a 2x3 square frame to the front and using aftermarket mustang II stuff. Wheelbase could be lengthened that way also. I doubt anyone would buy it like this, but if someone were interested let me know. I think I can part it out and get close to that for it. Would have to use aftermarket one piece front end but I think it would look sick with a 63' vette front. (one of my previous hair brained ideas).

The glide and converter, I'm gonna keep that stuff for now. $1100 Greg Slack converter. In this car ~ 2400# it sat right at 4400 under load. It's a 1.76, new 8 clutch high gear hub, daaco pump, TCI V. Body with brake, deep pan. I think I'm gonna have to replace the tail housing (bent mount bolt, driveshaft didn't come out easy like before), broke a small piece off the bellhousing that will need to be welded back.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my RX-7. Won't be fixing it again..... It's over