Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My conversion project, 1979 Z28---Project "Chariot of Awesome II"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My conversion project, 1979 Z28---Project "Chariot of Awesome II"

Back in March, I picked up a 1979 Z28 in pretty good condition, but had to store it at a friend's house since I was still in an apartment. Here are some pics from when I dropped it off (the blue SUV in the background is mine, and thank God it had a winch).

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and we moved into a (rental) house, with a garage. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216137 I meant to start last weekend, but it just didn't happen. Instead, we painted the kitchen. This weekend though, I got a chance to work on the Z for the first time, and I'll still get the living room and dining room painted, and work 16 hours of overtime!

As for the direction I'm going with the car, I think the term "Luxury Touring" would be the most accurate. I know I'm going with an LS/T56 combo, but past that, I'm still struggling between the matrure and child sides. I'd love a tire smoking ricockulously powerful beast, but then I remember how much I like my CTS-V, the more mature, understated performance that happens to come with something called "comfort". I think in the end, I will bench mark the CTS-V for the handling / ride balance and ammenaties. Besides, as much as I want to, I'll probably never get to the track comptetitively. I just need to face facts and not go crazy on parts.

Continued next post........................
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Saturday
So far, I've got the hood and hinges off, the tail lights off, the headlights out, and almost have the front bumper off. It's time for some spaghetti though. Oh, and some pictures of my little helper, Samson (age 2 1/2). :bowtie:

Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Sunday
I've gotten the front bumper off and the trunk off, and kind of vaccumed some trash up. I got bored with that quick though. I found some more cancer where the battery sat. Then there's the cancer at the trunk, and in front of the driver's side rear wheel. On the brighter side, the cowl area looks good so far, and I've gotten more work done.

Quick Reply: My conversion project, 1979 Z28---Project "Chariot of Awesome II"