Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with putting a 5.3 in 68 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with putting a 5.3 in 68 camaro

I'm new to this site and trying to learn all I can before I go spend money on anything. I would loke to have a LS1 but they are to pricey for me. From what I have read the 5.3 truck motors can be used with the stock intake,wiring harnes and PCM I know it don't look as good as the LS intake but its cheaper and I could upgrade later. On the accecories all I really need is an alternator so I was thinking of making my own bracket for it. will the 4L60 tranny out of the trucks work in the 68 Camaro and if so is there certain ones I should look for? Thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 AM
Teching In

I'm sure my Questions have been ask before but I can't really find any answers on the tranny. Otherwise I think most I have found and the rest I will just have to learn as I go lol. I also have not seen a lot on what to do with gauges? If you guys see anything wrong with my plans please let me know. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The trans will work. Regarding gages, do you have gages already? Did you want to stick with Mechanical Speedometer or go Electronic? Need some specifics.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psiconversion
The trans will work. Regarding gages, do you have gages already? Did you want to stick with Mechanical Speedometer or go Electronic? Need some specifics.

Jon
PSI
my build thread might help, its in myt sig. as far as gauges, I used a cable-x to keep the stock speedo, and autometer for the rest.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c6matt
my build thread might help, its in myt sig. as far as gauges, I used a cable-x to keep the stock speedo, and autometer for the rest.
Thanks I have looked at some of your biuld and will look at the rest when I get off work.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion

Jon
PSI
Thanks I didn't know if the truck tranny would work or not. Will it work also if its a 4wd tranny? As far as gauges it has the factory ones in it but I could change them if I need too.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck with your swap. I am just starting on my swap. I got a decent price on a 98' Camaro and pulled the engine and accessories. I have a 5.3 that I was going to put in, but when I added up all the accessories, wiring and ecu. I figured it would be cheaper to find a donor car. So far, selling off the unused parts off the donor has almost paid for the engine. The donor had a 4L60e in it and I had my heart set on shifting. I was able to find a LS T-56 cheap locally. There is a ton of information on here for this swap. Just have to think the question and search for the answers. The guys here have gone through the same problems and it is cool to see how they got around them. Again, good luck and hope to see some pics from you too.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68maroSam
Good luck with your swap. I am just starting on my swap. I got a decent price on a 98' Camaro and pulled the engine and accessories. I have a 5.3 that I was going to put in, but when I added up all the accessories, wiring and ecu. I figured it would be cheaper to find a donor car. So far, selling off the unused parts off the donor has almost paid for the engine. The donor had a 4L60e in it and I had my heart set on shifting. I was able to find a LS T-56 cheap locally. There is a ton of information on here for this swap. Just have to think the question and search for the answers. The guys here have gone through the same problems and it is cool to see how they got around them. Again, good luck and hope to see some pics from you too.
thanks. I am trying to think of what is going to be best for me a 5.3 or 5.7 ls1. The 5.3s are alot cheaper but the intake is kinda ugly i was thinking of making my own alternator bracket because thats all i will need. I have also read that the truck harness dont look as good but i am not putting together a show car. I want to try this as cheap as possible and upgrade later i would also like to do a budget homemade turbo so i am thinking the 5.3 may be best just incase the tunning dont work out the first time lol
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not a Camaro, but if you look at my build (in my sig) all of your non-chassis specific questions have been answered and documented. There is also a sticky about doing it on a $1500 - ish budget by MeanYellowZ.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Teching In

I think i have figured out. I will probly get the 5.3 and an ls1 intake the motor comes with the harness and pcm so iwill get the connectors for the ls injectors and use that.I am also thinking about a master power70 turbo and going for around 10-12psi well at first anyway lol. I have never had a turbo car but i geuss i aint going to learn no younger so its time to start. Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: help with putting a 5.3 in 68 camaro